#4268 - Thursday, June 2, 2011 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 3, 2011

      #4268 - Thursday, June 2, 2011 - Editor: Gloria Lee

      “All experiences, both high spiritual experiences and mundane experiences, are
      expressions of what you are. There quite literally is not another place you need to go,
      because every place, every experience, is already 100 percent what you are.”
      ~ Adyashanti

      Buddha's Dogs
      I'm at a day-long meditation retreat, eight hours of watching
      my mind with my mind,
      and I already fell asleep twice and nearly fell out of my chair,
      and it's not even noon yet.
      In the morning session, I learned to count my thoughts, ten in
      one minute, and the longest
      was to leave and go to San Anselmo and shop, then find an outdoor cafe and order a glass
      of Sancerre, smoked trout with roasted potatoes and baby
      carrots and a bowl of gazpacho.
      But I stayed and learned to name my thoughts, so far they are:
      wanting, wanting, wanting,
      wanting, wanting, wanting, wanting, wanting, judgment,
      sadness.  Don't identify with your
      , the teacher says, you are not your personality, not your
      then he bangs the gong for lunch.  Whoever, whatever I am is
      given instruction
      in the walking meditation and the eating meditation and walks
      outside with the other
      meditators, and we wobble across the lake like The Night of the
      Living Dead.
      I meditate slowly, falling over a few times because I kept my
      foot in the air too long,
      towards a bench, sit slowly down, and slowly eat my sandwich,
      noticing the bread,
      (sourdough), noticing the taste, (tuna, sourdough), noticing
      the smell, (sourdough, tuna),
      thanking the sourdough, the tuna, the ocean, the boat, the
      fisherman, the field, the grain,
      the farmer, the Saran Wrap that kept this food fresh for this
      body made of food and desire
      and the hope of getting through the rest of this day without
      dying of boredom.
      Sun then cloud then sun.  I notice a maple leaf on my sandwich.
      It seems awfully large.
      Slowly brushing it away, I feel so sad I can hardly stand it, so I
      name my thoughts; they are:
      sadness about my mother, judgment about my father, wanting
      the child I never had.
      I notice I've been chasing the same thoughts like dogs around
      the same park most of my life,
      notice the leaf tumbling gold to the grass.  The gong sounds,
      and back in the hall.
      I decide to try lying down meditation, and let myself sleep.  The
      Buddha in my dream is me,
      surrounded by dogs wagging their tails, licking my hands.
      I wake up
      for the forgiveness meditation, the teacher saying, never put
      anyone out of your heart
      and the heart opens and knows it won't last and will have to
      open again and again,
      chasing those dogs around and around in the sun then cloud
      then sun.
      ~ Susan Browne ~
      (Buddha's Dogs)

      It's funny how many spiritual pointers can be found in the tales and stories from our
      childhood. I was thinking about Pinocchio today in reference to writing about the
      body/mind being a kind of puppet.
      Pinocchio is a perfect allegory of enlightenment. The puppet, Pinocchio, is created out
      of the earnestness and selfless love of Geppetto. What a great allegorical depiction
      of creation. Geppetto prays for love, and it is fulfilled in the form of a life.
      And Pinocchio himself, as all who are created from love must, has to find the balance
      of "supposed " free will and following his heart.
      Pinocchio is a puppet who wants to be a real boy. This is an ideal picture of the
      "seeker ". Everything moves well, life is ok. School or work are ok. But there's this
      nagging feeling of superficiality, like playing a part, being a kind of a "puppet", and
      longing to be "real ". And what is it that makes Pinocchio, and us for that matter
      "real " ? Unconditional Love.
      Pinocchio learns that "self " indulgence leads, quite literally, to making an ass of
      yourself. Sacrifice, as in the rescue of Geppetto, brought about the "real " that
      Pinocchio sought.
      The lesson here is clear. Life is "created " from Love. And, even though a "puppet ",
      the "puppet " still has the "choice " as to "who's " "puppet " it is going to be. It can
      mistakenly view itself as a separate "got no strings " ego, me, I. But then it is a
      puppet only to itself, without even being "aware " of it. The mind sees itself as in
      control, the puppet now being "in charge" of the puppet. This of course, is ridicules.
      Unlike with Pinocchio, in a sense, there is no getting away from being a "puppet ". The
      body/mind is a puppet; a thing that is "born " and "dies ". It is the creation of Love;
      the residue of the movement of unfolding potential. The "change " we all seek; this
      becoming "real ", as it were, is the "handing over " of the "strings " to the heart. It's
      as simple as that.
      There is no need to beat down the mind, or subdue the body. All that need be done is
      to exchange the mind as a "puppet master " who calls and choreographs, and "makes "
      the puppet dance, for the heart. The heart is a "puppet master " who lays out
      potential like the well placed props on a dance floor. In it's hands the dancing puppet
      is free to become the "real boy " it has aleays been.
      Call it destiny, or call it potential, we are puppets. These bodies, these minds are but
      expressions of the unfolding universe. We can live out our lives letting the puppet
      imagine that it is operating itself, or we can completely surrender, and let the
      creator of the puppet fulfill it's "purpose " in the unfolding. Then we can all be
      "Real Boys and Girls"
      by Bill Lindley on Facebook Notes