#4259 - Tuesday, May 24, 2011 - Editor: Jerry Katz

    Message 1 of 1 , May 25, 2011
      #4259 - Tuesday, May 24, 2011 - Editor: Jerry Katz

      The Nonduality Highlights
      -

      Announcing a new e-book from the Nonduality.com publishing arm, Nonduality Publications:

      A Light Unto Your Self: Self Discovery Through Investigation of Experience

      by Colin Drake.

      A Light Unto Your Self:
      Self Discovery Through Investigation of Experience

      Colin Drake

      Excerpts:

      ‘By observing mental states you also become aware of the seven factors of enlightenment. These are: awareness of awareness, investigation of the Way, vigour, joy, serenity, concentration and equanimity.’ (The Buddha, Maha Sattipatthana Sutta 14-16)

      The first two are paramount and the last five are outcomes of these. This is what this book is all about, becoming ‘aware of awareness’ through direct investigation and then continuing with further ‘investigation of the Way’ (the Tao, the nature of reality). Once one is aware of awareness then one can become ‘A Light Unto Yourself’ by undertaking further investigations not needing to relying on any ‘teachings’, although these may be useful for confirming what one has discovered.

      This book is the sequel to Beyond the Separate Self (hereafter called Beyond) and is a collection of articles written since this was published.  These are mainly of two types: the first being replies to questions, comments and criticisms from readers of the book; and the second being the outcome of my ongoing investigations.

      I carry out these investigations to deepen my own understanding of the nature of Reality and then write them down when new insights arise.  This is so that I can re-read them and then continue my investigation from any of these ‘staging points’ that have been discovered.  Some of these insights are so subtle, and tenuous, that they are easily buried by day-to-day living.  It’s rather like exploring a trackless wilderness in stages and adding to the ‘map’ after each exploration.

      However, these additions are rare and most investigation involves re-covering mapped ground.  Moreover, even this is very useful as one ‘sees’ deeper and discovers nuances that were missed on previous excursions.  This deepening entails becoming more established in identifying with and as pure awareness … which is ‘the name of the game’.  The continual ‘seeing’ slowly changes one’s psyche and mind-set from identifying with the body/mind to identifying with the deeper level of pure awareness.

      Another idea to bear in mind is that the ‘map’ is not a linear path and that any staging point that has been discovered after one has become ‘aware of awareness’ may be used as the starting point for further investigation.  Rather like being able to dive into the ocean from a variety of locations.  Now I can use any of the discoveries that I have made as a springboard from which to re-commence the exploration.  The wonderful thing is that there is no end to this investigation as what is being explored is limitless.

      As time goes by you too will make your own discoveries and verbalize your own pathways into this recognition of pure awareness.  I strongly advise you to record in writing these discoveries and pathways, as the reading of them before your practice will put you in the right frame of mind, and inspire you.  In the final analysis your ‘pathway in’ will become particular to your own mind, and writings produced by your mind will always appeal more than those produced by another mind.  Ultimately you have to become, as the Buddha said, ‘a light unto yourself’.

      ~ ~ ~

      At the following link you may read the entire introduction, which summarizes each chapter, as well as order and download the e-book right away: