#4258 - Monday, May 23, 2011 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Message 1 of 1 , May 23, 2011

      #4258 - Monday, May 23, 2011 - Editor: Gloria Lee

      Join us on Facebook.

      A place for readers of The Nonduality Highlights to meet up and discuss topics of interest.

      The Silence of the Stars

      When Laurens van der Post one night
      In the Kalihari Desert told the Bushmen
      He couldn't hear the stars
      Singing, they didn't believe him.  They looked at him,
      Half-smiling.  They examined his face
      To see whether he was joking
      Or deceiving them.  Then two of those small men
      Who plant nothing, who have almost
      Nothing to hunt, who live
      On almost nothing, and with no one
      But themselves, led him away
      From the crackling thorn-scrub fire
      And stood with him under the night sky
      And listened.  One of them whispered,
      Do you not hear them now?
      And van der Post listened, not wanting
      To disbelieve, but had to answer,
      No.  They walked him slowly
      Like a sick man to the small dim
      Circle of firelight and told him
      They were terribly sorry,
      And he felt even sorrier
      For himself and blamed his ancestors
      For their strange loss of hearing,
      Which was his loss now.  On some clear nights
      When nearby houses have turned off their televisions,
      When the traffic dwindles, when through streets
      Are between sirens and the jets overhead
      Are between crossings, when the wind
      Is hanging fire in the fir trees,
      And the long-eared owl in the neighboring grove
      Between calls is regarding his own darkness,
      I look at the stars again as I first did
      To school myself in the names of constellations
      And remember my first sense of their terrible distance,
      I can still hear what I thought
      At the edge of silence where the inside jokes
      Of my heartbeat, my arterial traffic,
      The C above high C of my inner ear, myself
      Tunelessly humming, but now I know what they are:
      My fair share of the music of the spheres
      And clusters of ripening stars,
      Of the songs from the throats of the old gods
      Still tending even tone-deaf creatures
      Through their exiles in the desert.

      ~ David Wagoner ~

      (Traveling Light)

      Web version: www.panhala.net/Archive/Silence_of_the_Stars.html

      The things that change are not our real life

      By Bawa Muhaiyaddeen
      (1900? - 1986)

      The things that change are not our real life.
      Within us there is another body, another beauty.
      It belongs to that ray of Light which never changes.
      We must discover how to mingle with It and become one
      with that Unchanging thing.
      We must realize and understand this treasure of Truth.
      That is why we have come to the world.
      Within your heart in a space no bigger than an atom,
      God has placed the 18,000 universes.

      from A Book of God's Love, by M. R. Bawa Muhaiyaddeen

      Reflected

      By Kobayashi Issa
      (1763 - 1828)

      English version by Lucien Stryk and Takashi Ikemoto

      Reflected
      in the dragonfly's eye --
      mountains.

      ... Find the Poetry Chaikhana on Facebook and Twitter ...

      "I Am Not This"

      I am not this.  Your beauty closes
      my eyes, and I am falling into

      that.  You cut the umbilical with
      this love that's been with me since

      birth.  My mother saw your mountain
      reflected in my face, you that lift

      coverings, you that bring death.  We
      agreed on this before creation.  I've

      been so hidden.  Ask my body who I
      am.  It says "solid ground."  Ask my

      soul. "Dizzy as the wind."  Neither,
      I stand here facing Shams of Tabriz.

                 -- Version by Coleman Barks, with Nevit Ergin
                    "The Glance"

      posted to Along The Way