#4252 - Tuesday, May 17, 2011 - Editor: Jerry Katz

    Message 1 of 2 , May 17, 2011
      #4252 - Tuesday, May 17, 2011 - Editor: Jerry Katz

      Dr. Robert Saltzman New Interview

      Listen here:

      Download link:

      Quotations from the interview:

      "The current nonduality teaching seems to be the same old wine in different bottles, in some cases, baby bottles."

      "I was expected to get it and to make any and all efforts to accomplish that. Any laziness at all in the work of getting it was severely criticized and I might be told that if I really wasn't interested then perhaps I should just leave and stop wasting his time. ... He knew how to laugh with a wonderful freedom. ... He knew how to suffer, too. He never tried to avoid it but just took it all in." Saltzman speaking about his teacher.

      "The most difficult misunderstanding about awakening is that awakening is some special state which is somehow attained through effort. That is totally wrong. The emptiness and silence of awareness already exists everywhere and nowhere. Awareness is beyond description and no person will ever attain it or own it."

      "I did not awaken so I am not awakened. Awakening happens suddenly, and since the imagined 'myself' no longer cares to stand in the way of that or to struggle against it, awakening continues to happen. ... Awakening never ends."

      Photo: Dr. Robert Saltzman on the left, Buddhism teacher and psychiatrist Dr. Robert Hall on the right, teaching a couple weeks ago in Cabo San Lucas, La Paz, Baja California, Mexico.

      Dr. Robert Saltzman re-addresses and expands upon questions asked in an earlier interview. I believe you will like his honesty and the detail with which he considers and addresses each question. This interview is recommended for students and teachers. These are the questions asked and addressed:

      What is the role of a spiritual teacher?

      What is spiritual awakening?

      What is the heart of what you teach?

      How do you communicate the heart of what you teach?
      You're a teacher in a world of nonduality which claims there is no student and no teacher. How do you respond to that?

      Talk about practice, its value and its limitations.

      Tell us about your active website and forum.

      Tell us about your teacher, Walter Chappell.

      How do the roles of psychotherapist and spiritual teacher play out in your life? How much have the roles merged and how much separation do you give them?

      There are traditional psychotherapists and these days nondual psychotherapists. How does know which one to go to?

      There is training available to psychotherapists in nondual sensitivity, how do you feel about that? If psychotherapists came to you for such training, how would you approach such a challenge?

      What does it mean to awaken?

      What are some of the myths about awakening?

      Would you discern between the intense and true desire to awaken and the intense and fashionable desire to awaken?

      You write, "My entire interest is focused upon whatever is arising now in this very moment." How can it be otherwise or does it just appear otherwise?

      Since you mention context, how important is it to put teaching and confession into context?

      A student or seeker might sit with you perceiving you as enlightened and awakened while perceiving themself as ordinary, limited, or unenlightened. How do you perceive the coupling of yourself and the seeker or student?

      Message 2 of 2 , May 18, 2011
        #4252 - Tuesday, May 17, 2011 - Editor: Jerry Katz

        The Nonduality Highlights
        - http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NDhighlights

        Awakening is Immensely Practical

        by Colin Drake

        Awakening is immensely practical,

        Transformative rather than tactical.

        Existential angst does it banish,

        This fear and anxiety totally vanish.

        In this life unfolds with no personal ‘story’.

        Then manifestation appears in all its glory.

        When the world is met with a clear mind,

        So vivid and alive do it we find.

        Every sensation comes on so strong,

        When unfiltered through what’s ‘right and wrong’.

        Thus seeing things as they truly ‘are’

        Our opinionated ego cannot mar.

        When each moment is directly met,

        The past and future go we let.

        When the mind is still it does not distort,

        So our experience does not fall short.

        Sat-Cit-Ananda is another name,

        For the source and essence of this cosmic game.

        Sat – ‘What is’, Cit – Awareness of this,

        Ananda – of this awareness the Bliss.

        When awake we respond, rather than react,

        To each situation depending on the fact.

        Spontaneously does the mind our problems solve,

        If unclouded by self then it will not ‘revolve’.

        So I urge you all to awake,

        Abandon self-image the great fake.

        Investigate, discover what’s really here,

        Leading to a life with no angst and fear!

        ~ ~ ~

        Colin Drake is the author of Beyond the Separate Self, Humanity: Our Place in the Universe, and a new book to be released this week, A Light Unto Yourself. Find out about Colin's books at

        A Rant on Effort

        by Vicki Woodyard

        I am tired of being meticulous in my search for enlightenment. Tired of combing the beach of my soul for shards of myself that one day I will glue into a New Me. Away with all of that. I am getting ready to crack and whack the shell of myself. No more Ms. Nice Guy. I am not an oxymoron, but a mere moron.

        What started this rant was thinking of the Law of  Reverse Effort. (Look it up if you can find a reference to it.) Instead of beating myself senseless about not doing it right, I am going to do it Totally Wrong.

        No more Ms. Seeking Enlightenment. I don’t have a clue and if you want to share your story with me of how you came to realize you were one with everything, I will whack you with my shoe. I want to tell you how I am so NOT one with everything, including your silly stories.

        People are up to no good and since I see that so clearly, I want nothing more to do with people. Especially seekers. Seekers are clearly on the edge of a cliff that is going nowhere but down. Turn that seeking upside down. Become a non-seeker.

        Enlightenment is a pile of words.

        A hot, steaming pile.

        Of words.

        So where was I? Did I wake up from the dream of being a seeker?

        Dare I post this note on a Saturday morning when most seekers are being ridiculously serious about their seeking?

        I refuse to carry the burden of unenlightenment a moment longer.. I might shoot somebody with it. You might see my picture on the post office wall. Wanted: Woman carrying unenlightenment. She is armed and dangerous..

        *This essay was written by a deranged female who has no business posting facebooks notes before she has had her morning cup of guilt and shame. Mea culpa, Stupid. And read the sign before you knock.

        Vicki Woodyard
        Author, LIFE WITH A HOLE IN IT: That's How The Light Gets In