#4247 - Thursday, May 12, 2011 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Message 1 of 1 , May 12, 2011

      #4247 - Thursday, May 12, 2011 - Editor: Gloria Lee

      The truth is to be lived - not talked about.
       ~ Hui Neng

      Invocation

      Let us try what it is to be true to gravity,

      to grace, to the given, faithful to our own voices,

      to lines making the map of our furrowed tongue.

      Turned toward the root of a single word, refusing

      solemnity and slogans, let us honor what hides

      and does not come easy to speech. The pebbles

      we hold in our mouths help us to practice song,

      and we sing to the sea. May the things of this world

      be preserved to us, their beautiful secret

      vocabularies. We are dreaming it over and new,

      the language of our tribe, music we hear

      we can only acknowledge. May the naming powers

      be granted. Our words are feathers that fly

      on our breath. Let them go in a holy direction.

      ~ Jeanne Lohmann

      posted by Rashani Rea on Facebook

      I'm for mystery, not interpretive answers. ... The answer is never the answer.
      What's really interesting is the mystery. If you seek the mystery instead of the
      answer, you'll always be seeking. I've never seen anybody really find the
      answer, but they think they have. So they stop thinking. But the job is to seek
      mystery, evoke mystery, plant a garden in which strange plants grow and
      mysteries bloom. The need for mystery is greater than the need for an answer.

      ~ Ken Kesey

      "The Art of Fiction" - interview by Robert Faggen, The Paris Review No. 130
      (Spring 1994)

      I built my hut in a zone of human habitation,
      yet there are no sounds, no noise of horse or coach,
      would you know how that is possible?

      My heart creates a wilderness around it.
      I pluck chrysanthemums under the eastern hedge
      then gaze long at the distant summer hills,
      the mountain air is fresh at the dusk of day,
      the flying birds two by two return.
      in these things there lies deep meaning,
      yet when I would express it, words suddenly fail me.

      ~ T’ao Ch’ien

      posted by Tom McFerran to Facebook

      photo by Alan Larus

      In the secret recesses of the heart
      beyond the teachings of this world
      calls a still, small voice
      singing a song unchanged
      from the foundation of the world.

      Speak to me in sunsets and in starlight.
      Speak to me in the eyes of a child.
      You Who call to me from a smile.
      My cosmic beloved…

      Tell me who I am
      And who I always will be.
      Help me to remember.”

      ~ Joan Borysenko

      Even in sleep, write a poem.
      When waking, write a poem.
      While loving, write a poem.
      Even voting, write a poem.
      When angry, write a poem.
      While dreaming, write a poem.

      The sages say quite seriously that those who wish to know Tao better
      should cultivate the poet in themselves.

      ~ Deng Ming-Dao

      posted by Belle Heywood to Facebook