#4240 - Thursday, May 5, 2011 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Message 1 of 1 , May 5, 2011

      #4240 - Thursday, May 5, 2011 - Editor: Gloria Lee

      An ordinary man seeks freedom through enlightenment.
      An enlightened man expresses freedom through being ordinary.
      ~Adyashanti

      "As a bee gathering nectar does not harm or disturb the color and fragrance
      of the flower;so do the wise move through the world."

                          ~Buddha

      From the Dhammapada: Flowers, verse 49
      posted by Anipachen to Daily Dharma

      he who can hear love
      can hear silence
      he who can hear silence
      can hear love

      all the words of the world bow
      and pay homage to silence's song
      it is a strange song
      hearing it and speaking it
      are the same song

      ~ Kabir Saluja

      by Kia Pierce on Facebook

      The activist John Francis didn't speak for almost two decades.
      His new book, and his talks, show us what he learned.

      In 1971, after the devastating 800,000-gallon oil spill in the San Francisco Bay, John Francis,
      then a young man, pledged to never ride a motorized vehicle again. Two years later, he added
      voluntary silence to his vow, spending 17 years in silence as he walked the world and became
      known as The Planetwalker. The first words that he spoke again were in Washington, D.C., on
      the 20th anniversary of Earth Day. In 2009, Francis, by then a National Geographic fellow with
      a Ph.D, told his remarkable story in the candid and deeply inspirational
      Planetwalker: 22 Years of Walking. 17 Years of Silence.

      The Ragged Edge of Silence explores the art of listening through a beautiful collage of personal
      accounts, interviews, science, storytelling, and a fascinating historical perspective on the role of
      silence across Hindu, Buddhist, and Native American cultures. Francis transcends the purely
      philosophical to offer practical ways of building constructive silence into our everyday routines as
      micro-oases of self-discovery amidst our stimulus-overloaded lives.

      "The Ragged Edge of Silence digs deeply into the phenomenology of silence and the practice
      of listening. As in Planetwalker, I followed a methodology that recognizes the importance of
      personal documents, explanations, and interpretation of silence. This story, then, is my personal
      account and interpretation of silence as I experienced it." ~ John Francis

      For a moving glimpse of Francis's unusual story, don't miss his excellent 2008 TED talk:

      Thanks to Rashani Rea for introduction to John Francis