#4237 - Monday, May 2, 2011 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Message 1 of 1 , May 3 9:10 AM

      #4237 - Monday, May 2, 2011 - Editor: Gloria Lee

      I was sad one day and went for a walk;
      I sat in a field.

      A rabbit noticed my condition and
      came near.

      It often does not take more than that to help at times--

      to just be close to creatures who
      are so full of knowing,
      so full of love that they don't chat,

      they just gaze with
      their marvelous understanding.

      ~St. John of the Cross

      by Kia Pierce on Facebook

      Nothing affects Consciousness, yet the Grace of Conscious
      Awareness brings light to the conditioning of the personality
      with compassion and greater tendency for loving kindness. As
      this is realised at home in the heart...it naturally flows to every
      aspect of self, including the appearance of other. For some
      who have spontaneous awakenings, without much life
      experience behind them, there can be a pull to remain or
      become devotional as a way of deepening the form within the
      formless Awareness they are. Some of our greatest examples,
      enlightened teachers thoughout history, have been devotional
      as a way of expressing this enormous love that flows like a
      raging river at times..It must express..If the Absolute view is
      taken that we are Consciousness, and there is no loving
      kindness in that particular expression, there may be an
      immature awakening that has halted its own potential for the
      great expansiveness of unconditioned love and purity of heart.

      ~Gloria Byrom Agrelius, on Facebook

      Compassion, in which all ethics must take root, can only attain
      its full breadth and depth if it embraces all living creatures and
      does not limit itself to mankind.

      ~Albert Schweitzer

      Feeling that morality has nothing to do with the way you use the
      resources of the world is an idea that can’t persist much
      longer. If it does, then we won’t.

      ~Barbara Kingsolver

      Now I can look at you in peace; I don’t eat you anymore.

      ~Franz Kafka

      Common experience shows how much rarer is moral courage
      than physical bravery. A thousand men will march to the mouth
      of the cannon where one man will dare espouse an unpopular
      cause.

      ~Clarence Darrow

      The Greater Good
      Peter Singer On How To Live An Ethical Life
      by Gillian Kendall

      Kendall: You have said, “Food is an ethical issue — but you don’t
      have to be fanatical about it.” Please explain.

      Singer: I was trying to draw a distinction between being ethical and
      being a purist. We should look at what we eat in terms of its
      consequences — that is, we should ask, “By eating this food, am I
      supporting practices that are cruel to animals, or damage the
      earth, or contribute unnecessarily to climate change, or hurt people
      in developing countries?” I think we should all ask those questions.
      But it is not like being an Orthodox Jew and keeping kosher. If I
      understand rightly, if you keep kosher, you do not eat certain foods
      under any circumstances. Eating ethically is not like that.

      I judge things by their consequences. I don’t think you have to be
      pure. Most people are not doing absolutely everything right. And
      even if they are right in how they eat, what are they doing to help
      the world’s poor? I don’t know anyone who can claim to be a saint.
      We should not be too hard on others or on ourselves, as long as
      we’re doing what we can to reduce our harmful impact.

      Kendall: So is it more important to produce social change than to
      be personally pure yourself?

      Singer: Yes. You could make sure that no animal product ever
      crosses your lips or touches your body but be doing less than
      someone who might occasionally buy some humane animal
      products but is putting a lot of time and effort into helping
      animal-rights groups, or preventing climate change, or helping the
      world’s poor. The second person is having a bigger impact on the
      world, even though he or she may not be quite as pure.

      Kendall: Many people look to you for guidance on how to eat
      ethically. How do you manage that role?

      Singer: I can only talk about general principles and draw attention
      to particular issues. I cannot make a decision for anyone. People
      have individual needs and circumstances. I have to respect the
      choices that they make, as long as I believe they have
      conscientiously reflected on their actions and are trying to
      minimize the harm that they are causing through what they eat.

      from:

      Ed note: Not trying to sell a magazine here, but one could do worse.
      The Sun is the only one I know of that has no advertising whatsoever.
      The writing truly is "Personal. Political. Provocative." as they say.