#4233 - Thursday, April 28, 2011 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 28, 2011

      #4233 - Thursday, April 28, 2011 - Editor: Gloria Lee

      Don't try to understand what I'm saying. These are just
      pointers. I don't understand what I'm saying either. Pointers
      point to the state of direct realization but they're not a
      substitute for it.
      ~Eckhart Tolle

      “The nice thing is that when you stop waiting for the mind to
      stop doing what it does, you start to realize it doesn’t matter
      how long the mind does what it does. There’s still this direct
      taste, this sense of being. So waiting is unnecessary. It’s just
      another concept.”
      ~Adyashanti

      To say something meaningful,
      Get in the circle of silent ones
      And be silent.
      ~ Rumi

      by Enea Bozeglav

      I felt in need of a great pilgrimage
      so I sat still for three
      days

      and God came
      to me.

      ~ Kabir

      posted by Kia Pierce

      by Alan Larus

      The desire to find the self will be surely fulfilled, provided you
      want nothing else. But you must be honest with yourself and
      really want nothing else. If in the meantime you want many
      other things and are engaged in their pursuit, your main
      purpose may be delayed until you grow wiser and cease being
      torn between contradictory  urges. Go within, without swerving,
      without ever looking outward.

      ~Nisargadatta Maharaj

      by Along The Way

      In Master Linji's time, some Buddhist terms were used so often
      they became meaningless. People chewed on terms like
      “liberation” and “enlightenment” until they lost their power. It’s
      no different today.

      What is a True Person?

      “As I see it, there isn’t so much to do. Just be ordinary—put on
      your robes, eat your food, and pass the time doing nothing.” -
      Master Linji, Teaching 18

      Insight can’t be found in sutras, commentaries, verbal
      expression, or —isms. Liberation and awakened
      understanding can’t be found by devoting ourselves to the
      study of the Buddhist scriptures. This is like trying to find fresh
      water in dry bones. Returning to the present moment, using our
      clear mind which exists right here and now, we can be in touch
      with liberation and enlightenment, as well as with the Buddha
      and the patriarchs as living realities right in this moment. The
      person who has nothing to do is sovereign unto herself. She
      doesn’t need to put on airs or leave any trace behind.

      The true person is an active participant, engaged in her
      environment while remaining unoppressed by it. Although all
      phenomena are going through the various appearances of
      birth, abiding, changing, and dying, the true person doesn’t
      become a victim of sadness, happiness, love, or hate. She
      lives in awareness as an ordinary person, whether standing,
      walking, lying down, or sitting. She doesn’t act a part, even the
      part of a great Zen master. This is what Master Linji means by
      “being sovereign wherever you are and using that place as
      your seat of awakening.”

      We may wonder, “If a person has no direction, isn’t yearning to
      realize an ideal, doesn’t have an aim in life, then who will help
      living beings be liberated, who will rescue those who are
      drowning in the ocean of suffering?” A Buddha is a person
      who has no more business to do and isn’t looking for anything.
      In doing nothing, in simply stopping, we can live freely and true
      to ourselves and our liberation will contribute to the liberation
      of all beings.

      - Thich Nhat Hanh, "Simply Stop," Fall 2007  Tricycle From
      Nothing to Do, Nowhere to Go (2007) by Thich  Nhat Hanh