#4218 - Monday, April 11, 2011 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 12 11:59 AM

      #4218 - Monday, April 11, 2011 - Editor: Gloria Lee

      "I only went out for a walk and finally concluded to stay out till sundown,
      for going out, I found, was really going in." ~John Muir

      Join us this Monday 4/18 for a screening of John Muir in the New World , a
      magnificent, spiritual, and awe-inspiring film about Muir, the father of the
      environmental movement and the founder of the Sierra Club, the oldest and
      largest grassroots conservation organization in the United States.

      April 18 PBS 9:00 pm, check your local listings.

      watch a preview

      (Sorry, if you are not in the USA, just enjoy the written selections.)

      John Muir
      Nature’s Witness
      By Anna Maria Gillis

      Excerpt:
      It’s on his journey of scientific inquiry, first to the Gulf and in his first
      summer in the Sierra Nevada, that Muir’s religious thinking evolves, and he
      leaves much of his Calvinist background behind, says Worster.

      A man of his time, Muir was raised with the view from Genesis that God has
      given man dominion over all of nature. But in A Thousand-Mile Walk to the
      Gulf, based on his journals from that period published posthumously in
      1916, Muir adopts a humbler view: “The world, we are told, was made
      especially for man—a presumption not supported by all the facts. A
      numerous class of men are painfully astonished whenever they find anything,
      living or dead, in all God’s universe, which they cannot eat or render in some
      way what they call useful to themselves.” He goes on to say, “From the dust
      of the earth, from the common elementary fund, the Creator has made Homo
      sapiens. From the same material he has made every other creature, however
      noxious and insignificant to us. They are earth-born companions and our
      fellow mortals. The fearfully good, the orthodox, of this laborious
      patchwork of modern civilization cry ‘Heresy’ on every one whose
      sympathies reach a single hair’s breadth beyond the boundary epidermis of
      our own species.”

      Other nineteenth-century thinkers—Humboldt, Emerson, Thoreau,
      Ruskin—looked at nature for inspiration, and Muir knew their work, but
      Muir went further. He may be regarded, says Worster in an interview, “as
      a religious prophet,” one whose religion was Nature.

      John Muir quotes:

      "When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to
      everything else in the universe."

      "One touch of nature makes the whole world kin."

      "Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in,
      where nature may heal and give strength to body and soul."

      "Most people are on the world, not in it-- having no conscious sympathy or
      relationship to anything about them-- undiffused seporate, and rigidly alone
      like marbles of polished stone, touching but separate. "

      "How narrow we selfish conceited creatures are in our sympathies! How
      blind to the rights of all the rest of creation!"

      "Yet how hard most people work for mere dust and ashes and care, taking
      no thought of growing in knowledge and grace, never having time to get in
      sight of their own ignorance."

      "Muir has profoundly shaped the very categories through which Americans
      understand and envision their relationships with the natural world," writes
      Holmes.[6] Muir was noted for being an ecological thinker, political
      spokesman, and religious prophet, whose writings became a personal guide
      into nature for countless individuals, making his name "almost ubiquitous" in
      the modern environmental consciousness. According to author William
      Anderson, Muir exemplified "the archetype of our oneness with the
      earth",[7] while biographer Donald Worster says he understood his mission
      to be, "Saving the American soul from total surrender to materialism."[8]

      more complete biography: