#4214 - Thursday, April 7, 2011 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 7, 2011

      #4214 - Thursday, April 7, 2011 - Editor: Gloria Lee

      We have got to travel in the void and be happy about it…All that we
      know clearly is insufficient. We must pass on to the unknown … at the
      same time I think we make problems for us where there really are none.
      There is too much conscious "spiritual life" floating around us, and we are
      too aware that we are supposed to get somewhere. Well, where?...perhaps
      we are already in that where. … As for "spiritual life": our "Life in the
      Spirit" is all-embracing, or it should be.
      ~Thomas Merton

      by George Jisho Robertson on Facebook

      "I'm here. I'm always here. Even when I'm 'there', I'm here.
      I can't get away from here. Even when I try to escape here, I find
      myself here. Once I even managed to arrive 'there', but then I took a
      fresh look, and I was still here. Here follows me wherever I go. It's just
      always here, wherever I am. Hmm. Perhaps I am here. I mean, perhaps I
      *am* here! Perhaps here is what I actually am. That's why I'm always
      here..."
      ~Jeff Foster

      and more animal photos by Alan Larus

      Time wants to show you a different country.  It's the one
      that your life conceals, the one waiting outside
      when curtains are drawn, the one Grandmother hinted at
      in her crochet design, the one almost found
      over at the edge of the music, after the sermon.

      It's the way life is, and you have it, a few years given.
      You get killed now and then, violated
      in various ways.  (And sometimes it's turn about.)
      You get tired of that.  Long-suffering, you wait
      and pray, and maybe good things come - maybe
      the hurt slackens and you hardly feel it any more.
      You have a breath without pain.  It is called happiness.

      It's a balance, the taking and passing along,
      the composting of where you've been and how people
      and weather treated you.  It's a country where
      you already are, bringing where you have been.
      Time offers this gift in its millions of ways,
      turning the world, moving the air, calling,
      every morning, "Here, take it, it's yours."

      ~ William Stafford

      Awareness is the ocean of existence.
      Let it loose and your words will rage
      and cause wounds like fishing spears.

      But if you tend it like a fire
      to discover the truth,
      you'll find how much of that
      there is in what you say.  None.

                          - Lalla
                            14th Century North Indian mystic

      From Along The Way

      The greatest help or service you can do to the
      world is the imparting of knowledge of the Self.
      Spiritual help is the highest help you can render
      to mankind.  The root cause of human sufferings
      is ignorance.  If you can remove this ignorance in
      man, then only can he be eternally happy.  That
      sage who tries to remove the ignorance is the
      highest benefactor in the world.

                - Swami Sivananda

      From Along The Way

      "Despite what we might think much of the time and what the news
      programs imply, we all wish to be sane and open-hearted people. We
      could take our wish to be more sane and kind and put it in a very large
      context. We could expand it into a desire to help all other people, to help
      the whole world.

      But we need a place to start. We can't simply begin with the whole world.
      We need to begin by reaching out to the people who come into our own
      lives-our family members, our neighbors, our coworkers. Perhaps we are
      inspired to enter a profession where we can spend our time and energy
      trying to help at a global or national level.

      But even if we express our wish to be open-hearted by working for
      global peace or justice or environmental well-being, even on that grand
      scale, we need to work on what is immediate to us all the time.

      We need to work on ourselves."

      ~Pema Chodron

      By Anipachen on Daily Dharma

      Correction:
      In my last Monday issue, a poem was attributed to Rumi, which was actually
      more of an interpretation in response to Rumi's poem.
      The original Rumi poem from Mathanawi 1 is simply this:

      Don't hide Your heart but reveal it,
      so that mine might be revealed,
      and I might accept what I am capable of.
      [I, 2682]

      The longer "Language of the Heart" version has been found to be from this blog: