#4202 - Saturday, March 26, 2011

  • Mark
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 27, 2011

      Nonduality Highlights: Issue #4202, Saturday, March 26, 2011

      Each of us has our own idea of happiness. It's because of this idea that we run after objects we desire. We sacrifice our time and, to a certain extent, destroy our bodies and our minds. According to the Buddha, happiness is simple - if we go home to the present moment, we realize that we have more than enough to be happy right here and now.

      All the wonders of life are in us and around us. This realization can help us release our craving, anger, and fear.

      - Thich Nhat Hanh, posted to DailyDharma

      Crossing the Sound

      Far into the silver, the rolling hum carries me.
      Top deck of the ferry, at the back rail, I watch
      herring gulls ride updrafts, collapse on bread chunks
      tossed by a small boy in an outsized tee shirt.
      They whiten the gray with their noisy hungers.

      Below, in the great room, others doze,
      play set-back, queue up for coffee.
      Leashed to a chair leg, a terrier starts yapping.
      In the sting of the spray, I am aware
      I am one of them, know I am not one of them,

      know that beneath the waves patina,
      the unseen slides by in silvery shadows.
      I understand hunger -
      why the shearwater grazes the whitecaps.
      I know that, behind me, the wake
      stretches shining - a road I can't follow.

      The rail I lean on beads with silver.
      My breath is a mist, warm, heavy with brine.
      Silver everywhere, evening on the rim.
      Nearing New London Harbor, I feel boundaries

      dissolve, and I'm the hundred tiny bells
      the halyards clink on the sailboats at rest.
      By the time night drops down its dull foil sheets,
      by the time I enter the mouth of the river,
      I am ocean and sky,
      gull-bone and light,
      I am salt. I am seasmoke.

      - Patricia Fargnoli, posted to allspirit

      WHY ABSTAIN?

      Why
      Abstain from love
      When like the beautiful snow goose
      Someday your soul
      Will leave this summer
      Camp?

      Why
      Abstain from happiness
      When like a skilled lion
      Your heart is
      Nearing

      And
      Will someday see
      The divine prey is
      Always
      Near! - Hafiz, from The Gift - Translations by Daniel Ladinsky, posted to AlongTheWay

      By all means be selfish; the right way. Wish yourself well, labor at what is good for you. Destroy all that stands between you and happiness. Be all; love all; be happy; make happy. No happiness is greater.

      I can well understand why children love sand.

      - Ludwig Wittgenstein, posted to Distillation

      Let us bind ourselves for ever for passionless journeyings. Let us swear to meet again far in the Milky Way.

      - Li Po, posted to Distillation

      i am
      the minstrel of
      eternal love
      and will play
      the song of happiness

      when my soul
      hears music
      and changes to softness
      i'll break open
      the wine jar's seal

      i am in love
      with the temple of fire*
      because i was born
      as the prophet
      named Khalili Abraham*

      i am in love
      with soul and
      wisdom
      i am the enemy
      of false images

      the spring is arriving
      it is high time
      for action
      for the sun and Aries
      to get together

      my blood is boiling
      my heart is on fire and
      the winter snow
      is melting away
      from my body

      someone's love
      is knocking me out
      and pulling me
      after itself
      very forcefully

      though i am
      in this
      hell and fire
      i'm filled with
      honey and nectar

      though i am
      condemned to take
      this journey
      i'm filled with
      the sweetness of going home

      now the time has come
      my sweetheart
      kindly express
      what my tongue
      can never describe

      - Rumi, Ghazal (Ode) 1395, from Diwan-e Shams, translation by Nader Khalili, from Rumi, Fountain of Fire, posted to Sunlight

      Sunlight footnotes, courtesy of Ibrahim Gamard:

      * temple of fire: a Zoroastrian fire temple. A symbol in sufi poetry for the "Religion of Love (of God)," which burns up all worldly loves.

      * Khalili Abraham: refers to the story about how the idolators threw the Prophet Abraham into a pit of fire as a punishment for opposing their idolatry, but God ordered the fire to be cool (Qur'an 21:68-69). In the Islamic tradition, the Prophet Abraham is called the Friend of God (Khaleel Allah).