#4190 - Monday, March 14, 2011 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 14, 2011
      #4190 - Monday, March 14, 2011 - Editor: Gloria Lee

      photo by George Jisho Robertson

      One instant is eternity;
      by Wu Men (Hui-k’ai)

      One instant is eternity;
      eternity is the now.
      When you see through this one instant,
      you see through the one who sees.

      English version by Stephen Mitchell
      from The Enlightened Heart: An Anthology of Sacred Poetry, by Stephen Mitchell

      Wu Men (Hui-k’ai)

      China (1183 – 1260) Timeline
      Buddhist : Zen / Chan

      There are two primary collections of koans in Zen/Chan
      Buddhism: the Blue Cliff Records, and the Wu Men Kuan, also
      known as the Mumonkan. The Mumonkan, first published in 1228,
      consists of 48 koans compiled by Wu Men Hui-k’ai with his
      commentary and poetic verse.

      Wu Men (also called Mumon) was a head monk of the Lung-hsiang
      monastery in China.

      More poetry by Wu Men (Hui-k’ai)

      "In the external scheme of things, shining moments are as brief as
      the twinkling of an eye, yet such twinklings are what eternity is
      made of -- moments when we human beings can say "I love you,"
      "I'm proud of you," "I forgive you," "I'm grateful for you."
      That's what eternity is made of: invisible imperishable good
      stuff."

      — Fred Rogers (The World According to Mister Rogers)

      posted by Bill Lindley to Facebook

      "Let go this 'everywhere' and this 'everything' in exchange for this
      'nowhere' and this 'nothing' Never mind if you cannot fathom this
      nothing, for I love it surely so much better. It is so worthwhile in
      itself that no thinking about it will do it justice. One can feel this
      nothing more easily than see it, for it is completely dark and hidden to
      those who have only just begun to look at it. Yet to speak more
      accurately, it is overwhelming spiritual light that blinds the soul that
      is experiencing it, rather than actual darkness or the absence of
      physical light. Who is it then, who is it then, who is calling it 'nothing'?
      Our outer self, to be sure, not our inner. Our inner self calls it 'All',
      for through it he is learning the secret of all things, physical and
      spiritual alike, without having to consider every single one separately
      on it's own."
      -The Cloud of Unknowing, 1370

      posted by Bill Lindley to Facebook

      Why then, have to be human?

      Oh not because happiness exists,
      Not out of curiosity…...
      But because being here means so much;
      because everything here,
      vanishing so quickly, seems to need us,
      and strangely keeps calling to us…

      To have been
      here, once, completely, even if only once,
      to have been at one with the earth –
      this is beyond undoing.

      ~ Rainer Maria Rilke

      I AM — A documentary made to “help birth a better world”

      "From the director of Bruce Almighty, The Nutty Professor, and Ace
      Venture Pet Detective," reads the website for the new documentary
      film I AM, "comes something completely different."

      Well, that’s for sure: "What keeps causing the world’s cycles of bad
      behavior, of destruction and despair?" asks writer/director Tom
      Shadyac about I AM. "It’s a question I felt compelled to ask; is there
      a fundamental endemic cause to the world’s problems? I made I AM to
      start a conversation, to move from symptoms to solutions, to empower
      the individual, and in the end, to help birth a better world." The film is
      playing in select theaters now.

      "I AM" features discussions with luminaries including Noam Chomsky,
      Marc Ian Barasch, Coleman Barks, the late Howard Zinn, and more.

      Here’s the trailer: