#4174 - Thursday, February 24, 2011 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 24, 2011

      #4174 - Thursday, February 24, 2011 - Editor: Gloria Lee

      Thanks to all who wrote in response to "connections", Saved all
      your sweet notes in my Valentine box. Feeling a bit giddy and
      silly, so this is what you get next. ~Gloria

      Take the whole kit
      with the caboodle
      Experience life
      don't deplore it
      Shake hands with time
      don't kill it
      Open a lookout
      Dance on a brink
      Run with your wildfire
      You are closer to glory
      leaping an abyss
      than upholstering a rut

      ~ James Broughton ~

      (Little Sermons of the Big Joy)

      It sings

      Came up to shake the shining drops

      and plunged again into the cold –

      a leaping fish

      rain phoenix

      ancient child

      wild boy of the waters

      half-heard echo

      unheard shout

      Grey hair dripping

      dance of the wild bone

      tears of hilarity

      Worn boots grin, gap-toed

      content to drowse

      in the spring grass

      old head nodding

      Murmurs of ancient dirt

      texture of mossy stones

      Silence singing to itself

      ~George Jisho Robertson on Facebook

      Start a huge, foolish, project, like Noah. It makes absolutely no
      difference what people think of you.

      ~Jellaluddin Rumi

      by Tommy McFerran on Facebook

      Benjamin Smythe holds up a sign in front of Sather Gate in an
      attempt to fulfill his personal quota of making one person smile
      every day.

      Adam Romero/Photo

      You're perfect.

      At least that is what Berkeley resident Benjamin Smythe tells
      people every day - and he believes it.

      Since August, Smythe, 35, has sat on the bridge by Sather Gate
      on the UC Berkeley campus, holding his cardboard sign and
      smiling at passersby. He has no agenda, only a quota of making
      one person smile every day.

      The idea came to him eight years ago from a homeless man in
      Laguna Beach who told everyone who walked by that they were
      perfect. Smythe never forgot that man, and when he was having a
      bad day five years later, he decided to deliver the message
      himself by holding a sign reading "you're perfect" while
      meditating.

      "It just felt so great to tell the truth," he said.

      Smythe, who spent his childhood in the suburbs in Connecticut,
      said he has not always had confidence in himself. But through any
      struggles he has faced, he has remembered how his mother, his
      role model, raised him to believe he could not only do whatever
      he wants, but that he deserves to be happy.

      "She told me that my whole life, so I don't really have any doubt,"
      he said. "I'm a normal person, I go through ups and downs, but
      this is my life, too."

      Smythe admits holding the sign did - and still does - make him
      feel vulnerable, but he has learned to embrace the uncertainty of
      how others will react.

      "I got to burn through all kinds of judgments and stereotypes," he
      said. "I never know who's going to say something or smile. I look
      at somebody now, and I just see them."

      Smythe does not limit himself to campus. In fact, nearly each day
      he goes around the city and sits on street corners, often holding
      his sign beside rush hour traffic because that's when "the
      message makes the most sense." [...]

      For the next year, Smythe is taking a yearlong break from work -
      previous jobs include working as a yoga instructor, a teacher and
      a cook - to go on tour after he posted a video saying he would
      visit anyone who paid for his travel expenses. Within 24 hours,
      Smythe said he had to turn down offers.

      He plans to spend the year in various cities in the United States,
      Australia and countries across Europe, spending a week with
      each family, and together they will hold his sign.

      Smythe explains his outlook on life with an analogy: Everyone
      jumped out of a plane when they were born. There is no
      parachute, and everyone will hit the ground, when they die.

      "I can either laugh the whole way down, or I can cry the whole way
      down," Smythe said. "I think that loving myself is part of that
      laughing the whole way down."

      Daily Cal Staff Writer
      Thursday, February 24, 2011