#4165 - Tuesday, February 14, 2011 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 15, 2011

      #4165 - Tuesday, February 14, 2011 - Editor: Gloria Lee

      Where can I find a man who has forgotten words?
      He is the one I would like to ta
      lk to.
      ~Chuang Tzu

      Wanting to reform the world without discovering one's true self is like
      trying to cover the world with leather to avoid the pain of walking on stones
      and thorns. It is much simpler to wear shoes.

      ~Ramana Maharshi
      posted by Sandra Ma to Facebook

      "Popularity among the soundly alseep may not be the best criterion by which
      to judge a method for waking up." ~Jed McKenna

      posted by Jill Richling-Thesman to Facebook

      Yellow_tulips_at_Keukenhof
      Image by Lisa Ploughman

      "Speaking of Self-realization is a delusion. It is only because people have
      been under the delusion that the non-Self is the Self and the unreal the Real
      that they have to be weaned out of it by the other delusion called
      Self-realization; because actually the Self always is the Self and there is no
      such thing as realizing it." —Ramana Maharshi

      Nothing is Gained with Enlightenment

      I once lived in an apartment so small I had to step outside into the adjacent
      hallway to open my oven door. There was room only for a bed, a radio, and a
      cardboard carton of books. I kept my clothes in a closet down the hall. Even
      in this confined space, there was housework to be done. Indeed, the demands
      of maintenance follow us wherever we find ourselves, from palaces to prison
      cells.

      The Italian poet Cesare Pavese wrote in his journal that we never remember
      days, we remember only moments. And Zen teachers tell us that this moment
      is the only one we’ll ever have. Perhaps this is a better way of looking at
      enlightenment. It’s not achieving or gathering something. Nor is it losing or
      overcoming something else. It’s simply stepping outside of the room you’re in
      and allowing the oven door to open. It’s checking the ceiling overhead and
      cleaning up the spills beneath your feet.

      - Gary Thorp, "The Dust Beyond the Cushion"

      "In Kisagata,
      The flowering cherry trees
      Vanish under waves ---
      Until an old fisherman
      Rows out across blossoms.

      Whatever it is,
      I cannot understand it,
      Although gratitude
      Stubbornly overcomes me
      Until I'm reduced to tears.

      My final desire ---
      That I be allowed to die
      Under flowering cherries,
      On the fifteenth evening
      Of the second month."
      ~Saigyo

      From: "The Poetry of Zen," published by Shambhala
      posted to Daily Dharma by Dainen Kelly

      So really what it comes down to, it's God. Wherever you look, it's God
      appearing as this, that, and what you really love and appreciate in each form
      is the divine formless out of which each form comes. But to be able to sense
      that you have to sense it in yourself first. And that is seeing the beauty in
      everything, that's really what it means.
      ~Eckhart Tolle

      A Message from Space

      Everything that happens is the message:
      you read an event and be one and wait,
      like breasting a wave, all the while knowing
      by living, though not knowing how to live.

      Or workers built an antenna -- a dish
      aimed at stars -- and they themselves are its message,
      crawling in and out, being worlds that loom,
      dot-dash, and sirens, and sustaining beams.

      And sometimes no one is calling but we turn up
      eye and ear -- suddenly we fall into
      sound before it begins, the breathing
      so still it waits there under the breath --

      And then the green of leaves calls out, hills
      where they wait or turn, clouds in their frenzied
      stillness unfolding their careful words:
      "Everything counts.  The message is the world."

      ~ William Stafford ~

      (The Way It Is)