#4160 - Thursday, February 3, 2011 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 11, 2011

      #4160 - Thursday, February 10, 2011 - Editor: Gloria Lee
      "Free at last, free at last..." Egypt, February 11, 2011
      Congratulations to the people of Egypt for winning their freedom
      by peaceful means. Best wishes for a future worthy of their courage.
      This issue is dedicated to them and to all forms of true freedom.

      "You need to train yourself so that at any time and any moment
      you choose, you can free yourself inwardly from your world,
      from others, from the past, from the future, from the previous
      thought and the next thought. This is to find freedom. Yet if
      you then think you are free and have some wisdom, this is not
      so. You should not be attached to solitude or to experiences of
      relative freedom. When you are neither attached to independence
      nor to company then wisdom will manifest."
      ~Chan Master Sheng-Yen
      posted by Gill Eardley to Allspirit

      You can also untrain yourself from all the conditioning that has implied
      feelings are bad, thoughts are bad, body sensations are bad and attachments
      are not spiritual. you can find freedom in welcoming every aspect of your
      life, in allowing yourself to hold nothing back from what is -in- your life,
      from what -is- your life. As more women find their voices, it may become
      clearer and clearer that while clarity and detachment are one aspect of
      experiencing the whole, it does not deny coming from the inside out to include
      Connection that becomes so intimate, so breathable, that it is seen all the
      pushing away from anything was what sustained the feeling of separation.
      Yes, we can know freedom from everything, and we can also know the
      freedom in everything. In deeply loving and caring about every person and
      event with whole mixtures of feelings from currents of desire to frustration
      to anger to inspiration, and indeed, amidst all these swirls, the truth is just
      as radiant. Just as radiantly this. It is just as possible to love and be free.
      posted by Josie Kane to Allspirit

      The Indian Parrot
      There was a merchant setting out for India.
      He asked each male and female servant
      what they wanted to be brought as a gift.
      Each told him a different exotic object:
      A piece of silk, a brass figurine,
      a pearl necklace.
      Then he asked his beautiful caged parrot,
      the one with such a lovely voice,
      and she said,
                       "When you see the Indian parrots,
      describe my cage. Say that I need guidance
      here in my separation from them. Ask how
      our friendship can continue with me so confined
      and them flying about freely in the meadow mist.
      Tell them that I remember well our mornings
      moving together from tree to tree.
      Tell them to drink one cup of ecstatic wine
      in honor of me here in the dregs of my life.
      Tell them that the sound of their quarrelling
      high in the trees would be sweeter
      to hear than any music."
      This parrot is the spirit-bird in all of us,
      that part that wants to return to freedom,
      and is the freedom. What she wants
      from India is herself!
      So this parrot gave her message to the merchant,
      and when he reached India, he saw a field
      full of parrots. He stopped
      and called out what she had told him.
      One of the nearest parrots shivered
      and stiffened and fell down dead.
      The merchant said, "This one is surely kin
      to my parrot. I shouldn't have spoken."
      He finished his trading and returned home
      with the presents for his workers.
      When he got to the parrot, she demanded her gift.
      "What happened when you told my story
      to the Indian parrots?"
      "I'm afraid to say."
                       "Master, you must!"
      "When I spoke your complaint to the field
      of chattering parrots, it broke
      one of their hearts.
      She must have been a close companion,
      or a relative, for when she heard about you
      she grew quiet and trembled, and died."
      As the caged parrot heard this, she herself
      quivered and sank to the cage floor.
      This merchant was a good man.
      He grieved deeply for his parrot, murmuring
      distracted phrases, self-contradictory -
      cold, then loving - clear, then
      murky with symbolism.
      A drowning man reaches for anything!
      The Friend loves this flailing about
      better than any lying still.
      The One who lives inside existence
      stays constantly in motion,
      and whatever you do, that king
      watches through the window.
      When the merchant threw the "dead" parrot
      out of the cage, it spread its wings
      and glided to a nearby tree!
      The merchant suddenly understood the mystery.
      "Sweet singer, what was in the message
      that taught you this trick?"
      "She told me that it was the charm
      of my voice that kept me caged.
      Give it up, and be released!"
      The parrot told the merchant one or two more
      spiritual truths. Then a tender goodbye.
      "God protect you," said the merchant
      "as you go on your new way.
      I hope to follow you!"
      ~Rumi   'One-Handed Basket Weaving'
      Versions  by Coleman Barks
      posted by Gill Eardley to Allspirit

      Habitually conditioned to avoid fear and insecurity, most people
      compulsively cling to what is familiar, even if it is very painful and
      confusing. I have witnessed countless people turn away from the experience
      and revelation of freedom because in that freedom there is nowhere to hide
      and nothing to hold onto. As they begin to awaken to a freedom that is
      profound, many turn back to a familiar condition of struggle and confusion in
      an unconscious effort to avoid stepping completely into the ungraspable and
      indefinable mystery of liberation. Why? Because in that mystery there is
      absolutely nothing for the personal ego to attain or define itself by.
      This is not the liberation that most people envision when they start out.
      Consciously or unconsciously most people envision a freedom that they can
      attain and possess. So many who glimpse the enlightened condition tell me
      that it is so much bigger than they ever could have imagined. To realize that
      freedom is not something that you possess, but something that possesses you,
      is often experienced as shocking, frightening, and unbelievably liberating. It
      is a revelation that swallows up the dream of a separate you and reveals Self
      to be a limitless expanse. What I am describing is the experience of Self
      void of any sense of selfhood, a timeless and uncaused condition which is
      constantly birthing manifest existence into form.
      To have a glimpse of this profound freedom requires very little, but to live
      it requires the destruction of every concept of self you have ever held or
      will ever hold. This freedom is a flame that burns the need to struggle to ash
      and reveals one's Self to be all there is.
      - from The Impact of Awakening: Excerpts from the Teachings of
      Adyashanti, published by Open Gate Sangha.