#4153 - Thursday, February 3, 2011 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 3, 2011

      #4153 - Thursday, February 3, 2011 - Editor: Gloria Lee
      Whether we and our politicians know it or not, Nature is party to all our
      deals and decisions, and she has more votes, a longer memory, and a sterner
      sense of justice than we do.
      ~Wendell Berry

      There is a way between voice and presence
      where information flows.
      In disciplined silence it opens.
      With wandering talk it closes.
      by Sarah Hughes on Facebook

      The beauty of the heart
      is the lasting beauty:
      its lips give to drink
      of the water of life.
      Truly it is the water,
      that which pours,
      and the one who drinks.
      All three become one when
      your talisman is shattered.
      That oneness you can't know
      by reasoning.
      by Enea Bozeglav on Facebook

      "Deep in my looking,
      the last words vanished.
      Joyous and silent,
      the waking that met me there."
      ~Lalla (India, 14th Century)
      Poetry Chaikhana

      Our hands imbibe like roots, so I place them on what is beautiful in this
      world. I fold them in prayer, and they draw from the heavens light.
      ~St. Francis of Assisi
      If I spent enough time with the tiniest of creatures, even a caterpillar, I
      would never have to prepare a sermon, so full of God is every creature.
      ~Meister Eckhart
      by Kia Pierce on Facebook

      Look deeply: every second I am arriving
      to be a bud on a Spring branch,
      to be a tiny bird, with still-fragile wings,
      learning to sing in my new nest,
      to be a caterpillar in the heart of a flower,
      to be a jewel hiding itself in a stone.
      ~Thich Nhat Hanh
      by Nita Prem on Facebook

      "If a man wishes to be sure of the road he treads on, he must
      close his eyes and walk in the dark."
      ~St. John of the Cross
      by Bill Lindley on Facebook

      photo by Alan Larus

      The Sowing of Meanings
      by Thomas Merton
      See the high birds! Is their’s the song
      That dies among the wood-light
      Wounding the listener with such bright arrows?
      Or do they play in wheeling silences
      Defining in the perfect sky
      The bounds of (here below) our solitude,
      Where spring has generated lights of green
      To glow in clouds upon the sombre branches?
      Ponds full of sky and stillnesses
      What heavy summer songs still sleep
      Under the tawny rushes at your brim?
      More than a season will be born here, nature,
      In your world of gravid mirrors!
      The quiet air awaits one note,
      One light, one ray and it will be the angels’ spring:
      One flash, one glance upon the shiny pond, and then
      Asperges me! sweet wilderness, and lo! we are redeemed!
      For, like a grain of fire
      Smouldering in the heart of every living essence
      God plants His undivided power –
      Buries His thought too vast for worlds
      In seed and root and blade and flower,
      Until, in the amazing light of April,
      Surcharging the religious silence of the spring,
      Creation finds the pressure of His everlasting secret
      Too terrible to bear.
      Then every way we look, lo! rocks and trees
      Pastures and hills and streams and birds and firmament
      And our own souls within us flash, and shower us with light,
      While the wild countryside, unknown, unvisited of men,
      Bears sheaves of clean, transforming fire.
      And then, oh then the written image, schooled in sacrifice,
      The deep united threeness printed in our being,
      Shot by the brilliant syllable of such an intuition, turns within,
      And plants that light far down into the heart of darkness and oblivion,
      Dives after, and discovers flame.
       from Selected Poems of Thomas Merton, by Thomas Merton
      Poetry Chaikhana