#4146 - Thursday, January 27, 2011 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 27, 2011

      #4146 - Thursday, January 27, 2011 - Editor: Gloria Lee

      The waters of joy

      When
      like a hailstone crystal
      like a waxwork image
      the flesh melts in pleasure
                how can I tell you?

      The waters of joy
      broke the banks
      and ran out of my eyes.

      I touched and joined
      my lord of the meeting rivers.
      How can I talk to anyone
      of that?

      By Basava
      (1134 - 1196)

      English version by A. K. Ramanujan

      There is no way to put love into words.
      That is why people try to write poems.
      That is why people make music, paint and dance.
      That is why people shrivel up
      and why they explode
      ...and why they make love
      and why they pray
      and why they chant
      and why they fight
      and why they die
      and why they awaken.

      - Belle Heywood

      Wake Up to the World

      The Buddha didn't describe his awakening as an awakening to some absolute
      truth or absolute reality, perhaps comparable to God as we would find in
      other religious traditions. Instead, what he woke up to is the unfolding of the
      phenomenal world itself. This I think is what is so radical in the Buddha’s
      understanding of spiritual experience. It doesn’t have to do with gaining some
      privileged access to a higher truth that somehow transcends the messiness of
      everyday life. Rather, his awakening was an awakening to the flux and the
      flow, the pain, the beauty, the tragedy, and the joy of life itself.

      I love this world, even as I hear
      the great wind of leaving it rising,
      for there is a grainy taste I prefer
      to every idea of heaven: human friendship.
      - Rumi

      by Tom McFerran on Facebook

      "My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know.
      Everybody you see. Everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people
      are awake and they live in a state of constant total amazement."
      - Patricia in "Joe Versus The Volcano"

      Human Values are Essential

      Everyone can understand that being human, you want a happy life, a happy
      family, to be a happy individual. But material things will not provide you with
      genuine inner peace or inner happiness. Human values are essential. We must
      find a way to present basic human values to everyone—and present them not
      as religious matters but as secular ethics that are essential whether you are
      religious or not.

      by Tom McFerran on Facebook

      Just for a moment, flowers appear
      on the empty, nearly-spring tree.
      Just for a second, wind
      through the wild thicket thorns.
      Self inside self, You are nothing but me.
      Self inside self, I am only You.
      What we are together
      will never die.

      - Lalla