#4142 - Sunday, January 23, 2011

  • Mark
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 23, 2011

      Nonduality Highlights: Issue #4142, Sunday, January 23, 2011

      Under heaven all can see beauty as beauty
      only because there is ugliness.
      All can know good as good only because there is evil.

      Therefore having and not having arise together.
      Difficult and easy complement each other.
      Long and short contrast each other;
      High and low rest upon each other;
      Voice and sound harmonize each other;
      Front and back follow one another.

      Therefore the sage goes about doing nothing, teaching no-talking.
      The ten thousand things rise and fall without cease.
      Creating, yet not possessing.
      Working, yet not taking credit.
      Work is done, then forgotten.
      Therefore it lasts forever.

      - Lao-tzu. from Tao Te Ching, translation by Gia-fu Feng and Jane English, posted to AlongTheWay

      The yogin then looketh on, mentally unperturbed, at the interminable flow of thoughts as though he were tranquilly resting on the shore of a river watching the water flow past.

      Padma-Karpo, from A Treasury of Traditional Wisdom, posted to SufiMystic

      Be thirsty heart,
      seek forever without a rest.
      Let this soundless longing
      hidden deep inside you
      be the source
      of every word you say.

      - Rumi, from Rumi - Whispers of the Beloved, selected and translated by Azima Melita Kolin and Maryam Mafi, posted to AlongTheWay

      Maybe you can't drink the entire Oxus River
      but don't deny you're thirsty!

      You want a spirit-drenching?
      Dig a hole in this book, the Mathnawi,
      this island. Make holes
      so the ocean can flow up through.
      Dig and make it porous
      until it's all seawater.

      Wind moves word-leaves off the surface
      showing one color, clearness.

      Beneath you, coral branches
      and ocean-peaches.

      When the Mathnawi sinks
      with your digging, it loses its words.
      Speaker, listener, language,
      Bread-giver, bread-taker, bread.
      The categories dissolve
      into One Water.

      - Rumi, version by Coleman Barks, from Like This, posted to Sunlight

      come let's speak
      of our souls
      let's even hide from
      our ears and eyes

      like a rose garden
      always keep a smile
      like imagination
      talk without a sound

      like the spirit
      reigning the world
      telling the secrets
      uttering no word

      let's get away from
      all the clever humans
      who put words in our mouth
      let's only say what our hearts desire

      even our hands and feet
      sense every inner move
      let's keep silence
      but make our hearts move

      the mystery of destiny
      knows the life of
      speck after speck of dust
      let's tell our story as a particle of dust

      - Rumi, Ghazal 1540, translation by Nader Khalili, from Rumi, Fountain of Fire. posted to Sunlight

      ... and finally, two old favorites:

      The Opening Of Eyes
      After R.S Thomas

      That day I saw beneath dark clouds
      the passing light over the water
      and I heard the voice of the world speak out,
      I knew then, as I had before
      life is no passing memory of what has been
      nor the remaining pages in a greater book
      waiting to be read.

      It is the opening of eyes long closed.
      It is the vision of far off things
      seen for the silence they hold.
      It is the heart after years
      of secret conversing
      speaking out loud in the clear air.

      It is Moses in the desert
      fallen to his knees before the lit bush.
      It is the man throwing away his shoes
      as if to enter heaven
      and finding himself astonished,
      opened at last,