#4116 - Monday, January 3, 2011 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 3, 2011

      #4116 - Monday, January 3, 2011 - Editor: Gloria Lee

      Here are some old Japanese Haiku about New Year's

      (translations by R.H. Blyth):

      The Great Morning

      Winds of long ago

      Blow through the pine-trees.

      -- Onitsura

      (The "Great Morning" was an ancient Japanese term for the
      morning of New Year's. )

      New Year's Day:

      The beginning of the harmony

      Of Heaven and Earth.

      -- Shiki

      New Year's Day;

      Nothing good or bad,-

      Just human beings.

      -- Shiki

      That is good, this too is good-

      New Year's Day

      In my old age.

      --Ryoto

      New Year's Day also

      Has come to its close,

      With the sounding bell.

      -- Hakki

      New Year's Day;

      Whosoever's face we see,

      It is care-free.

      -- Shigyoku

      The First Day of the Year:

      I remember

      A lonely autumn evening.

      -- Basho

      New Year's Day:

      The desk and bits of paper,-

      Just as last year.

      -- Matsuo

      New Year's Day:

      My hovel,

      The same as ever.

      -- Issa

      New Year's Day:

      What luck! What luck!

      A pale blue sky!

      -- Issa

      New Year's Day

      I do not hate

      Those who trample on the snow.

      -- Yayu

      The dawn of New Year's Day;

      Yesterday,

      How far off!

      -- Ichiku

      The first dream of the year;

      I kept it a secret,

      And smiled to myself.

      -- Sho-u

      The smoke

      Is now making

      The first sky of the year.

      --Issa

      [Blyth's commentary on this last haiku is: "No smoke, no sky; no sky, no smoke.
      But Issa does not think this. He knows, somehow or other, that the smoking rising
      and forming the first sky of the year has a meaning that can be expressed only
      by pointedly saying nothing about it."]

      All quotations are from Haiku Volume 2: Spring by R.H. Blyth. Tokyo: The
      Hokuseido Press, 1981

      posted by David Hodges to Facebook

      Vermont, 3 photos by David Hodges

      Half Empty of What?

      If I am holding a cup of water and I ask you, "Is this cup empty?" you will say,
      "No, it is full of water." But if I pour out the water and ask you again, you may
      say, "Yes, it is empty." But, empty of what? . . . My cup is empty of water, but it
      is not empty of air. To be empty is to be empty of something. . . . When
      Avalokita [Avalokiteshvara, the bodhisattva of compassion] says that the five
      skandhas are equally empty, to help him be precise we must ask, "Mr. Avalokita,
      empty of what?" The five skandhas, which may be translated into English as five
      heaps, or five aggregates, are the five elements that comprise a human being. . . .
      In fact, these are really five rivers flowing together in us: the river of form,
      which means our body, the river of feelings, the river of perceptions, the river
      of mental formations, and the river of consciousness. They are always flowing in
      us. . . . Avalokita looked deeply into the five skandhas . . . and he discovered that
      none of them can be by itself alone. . . . Form is empty of a separate self, but it
      is full of everything in the cosmos. The same is true with feelings, perceptions,
      mental formations, and consciousness.

      _Thich Nhat Hanh, The Heart of Understanding

      Do Not Be Dualistic

      Do not be dualistic. Truly be one with your life as the subtle mind of nirvana.
      That is what subtle means. Something is subtle not because it is hidden, nor
      because it is elusive, but because it is right here. We don’t see it precisely
      because it is right in front of us. In fact, we are living it. When we live it we
      don’t think about it. The minute we think about it, we are functioning in the
      dualistic state and don’t see our life as the subtle mind of nirvana.

      _Maezumi Roshi, "Appreciate Your Life"

      Buddahood does not happen by being made to happen. It is unsought and
      naturally indwelling, and so is spontaneously present. Rest nonconceptually in
      this effortless, naturally abiding state.

      - Longchepa

      posted by Rashani Rea to Facebook