#4122 - Sunday, January 2, 2010

  • Mark
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 2, 2011

      Nonduality Highlights: Issue #4122, Sunday, January 2, 2010

      Morning

      She opened the shutters. She hung the sheets over the sill.
      She saw the day.
      A bird looked at her straight in the eyes. `I am alone,' she whispered.
      `I am alive.' She entered the room. The mirror too is a window.
      If I jump from it I will fall into my arms.

      - Yannis Ritsos, translated from the Greek by Nikos Strangos, from Staying Alive,edited by Neil Astley, posted to allspirit

      Anyone whose goal is 'something higher' must expect someday to suffer vertigo. What is vertigo? Fear of falling? No, Vertigo is something other than fear of falling. It is the voice of the emptiness below us which tempts and lures us, it is the desire to fall, against which, terrified, we defend ourselves.

      - Milan Kundera, from The Unbearable Lightness of Being, posted to allspirit

      Autumn

      The leaves are falling, falling as if from far up,
      as if orchards were dying high in space.
      Each leaf falls as if it were motioning "no."

      And tonight the heavy earth is falling
      away from all other stars in the loneliness.

      We're all falling. This hand here is falling.
      And look at the other one. It's in them all.

      And yet there is Someone, whose hands
      infinitely calm, holding up all this falling.

      - Rainer Maria Rilke

      Then it was as if I suddenly saw the secret beauty of their hearts, the depths of their hearts where neither sin nor desire nor self-knowledge can reach, the core of their reality, the person that each one is in God's eyes. If only they could see themselves as they really are. If only we could see each other that way all the time, there would be no more war, no more hatred, no more cruelty, no more greed... I suppose the big problem would be that we would fall down and worship each other.

      - Thomas Merton

      Stray Birds

      1
      Stray birds of summer come to my window to sing and fly away. And yellow leaves of autumn, which have no songs, flutter and fall there with a sigh.

      2
      O troupe of little vagrants of the world, leave your footprints in my words.

      3
      The world puts off its mask of vastness to its lover.
      It becomes small as one song, as one kiss of the eternal.

      4
      It is the tears of the earth that keep her smiles in bloom.

      5
      The mighty desert is burning for the love of a blade of grass who shakes her head and laughs and flies away.

      6
      If you shed tears when you miss the sun, you also miss the stars.

      7
      The sands in your way beg for your song and your movement, dancing water. Will you carry the burden of their lameness?

      8
      Her wistful face haunts my dreams like the rain at night.

      9
      Once we dreamt that we were strangers.
      We wake up to find that we were dear to each other.

      10
      Sorrow is hushed into peace in my heart like the evening among the silent trees.

      11
      Some unseen fingers, like idle breeze, are playing upon my heart the music of the ripples.

      12
      "What language is thine, O sea?"

      "The language of eternal question."

      "What language is thy answer, O sky?

      "The language of eternal silence."

      13
      Listen, my heart, to the whispers of the world with which it makes love to you.

      14
      The mystery of creation is like the darkness of night--it is great. Delusions of knowledge are like the fog of the morning.

      15
      Do not seat your love upon a precipice because it is high.

      16
      I sit at my window this morning where the world like a passer-by stops for a moment, nods to me and goes.

      17
      These little thoughts are the rustle of leaves; they have their whisper of joy in my mind.

      18
      What you are you do not see, what you see is your shadow.

      19
      My wishes are fools, they shout across thy songs, my Master.
      Let me but listen.

      20
      I cannot choose the best.
      The best chooses me.

      21
      They throw their shadows before them who carry their lantern on their back.

      22
      That I exist is a perpetual surprise which is life.

      23
      "We, the rustling leaves, have a voice that answers the storms, but who are you so silent?"

      "I am a mere flower."

      24
      Rest belongs to the work as the eyelids to the eyes.

      25
      Man is a born child, his power is the power of growth.

      26
      God expects answers for the flowers he sends us, not for the sun and the earth.

      27
      The light that plays, like a naked child, among the green leaves happily knows not that man can lie.

      28
      O Beauty, find thyself in love, not in the flattery of thy mirror.

      29
      My heart beats her waves at the shore of the world and writes upon it her signature in tears with the words, "I love thee."

      30
      "Moon, for what do you wait?"

      "To salute the sun for whom I must make way."

      31
      The trees come up to my window like the yearning voice of the dumb earth.

      32
      His own mornings are new surprises to God.

      33
      Life finds its wealth by the claims of the world, and its worth by the claims of love.

      34
      The dry river-bed finds no thanks for its past.

      35
      The bird wishes it were a cloud. The cloud wishes it were a bird.

      36
      The waterfall sings, "I find my song, when I find my freedom."

      37
      I cannot tell why this heart languishes in silence.
      It is for small needs it never asks, or knows or remembers.

      38
      Woman, when you move about in your household service your limbs sing like a hill stream among its pebbles.

      39
      The sun goes to cross the Western sea, leaving its last salutation to the East.

      40
      Do not blame your food because you have no appetite.

      41
      The trees, like the longings of the earth, stand a-tiptoe to peep at the heaven.

      42
      You smiled and talked to me of nothing and I felt that for this I had been waiting long.

      43
      The fish in the water is silent, the animal on the earth is noisy, the bird in the air is singing,
      But Man has in him the silence of the sea, the noise of the earth and the music of the air.

      44
      The world rushes on over the strings of the lingering heart making the music of sadness.

      45
      He has made his weapons his gods. When his weapons win he is defeated himself.

      46
      God finds himself by creating.

      47
      Shadow, with her veil drawn, follows Light in secret meekness, with her silent steps of love.

      48
      The stars are not afraid to appear like fireflies.

      49
      I thank thee that I am none of the wheels of power but I am one with the living creatures that are crushed by it.

      50
      The mind, sharp but not broad, sticks at every point but does not move.

      51
      Your idol is shattered in the dust to prove that God's dust is greater than your idol.

      52
      Man does not reveal himself in his history, he struggles up through it.

      53
      While the glass lamp rebukes the earthen for calling it cousin, the moon rises, and the glass lamp, with a bland smile, calls her, "My dear, dear sister."

      54
      Like the meeting of the seagulls and the waves we meet and come near. The seagulls fly off, the waves roll away and we depart.

      55
      My day is done, and I am like a boat drawn on the beach, listening to the dance-music of the tide in the evening.

      56
      Life is given to us, we earn it by giving it.

      57
      We come nearest to the great when we are great in humility.

      58
      The sparrow is sorry for the peacock at the burden of its tail.

      59
      Never be afraid of the moments--thus sings the voice of the everlasting.

      60
      The hurricane seeks the shortest road by the no-road, and suddenly ends its search in the Nowhere.

      61
      Take my wine in my own cup, friend.
      It loses its wreath of foam when poured into that of others.

      62
      The Perfect decks itself in beauty for the love of the Imperfect.

      63
      God says to man, "I heal you therefore I hurt, love you therefore punish."

      64
      Thank the flame for its light, but do not forget the lampholder standing in the shade with constancy of patience.

      65
      Tiny grass, your steps are small, but you possess the earth under your tread.

      66
      The infant flower opens its bud and cries, "Dear World, please do not fade."

      67
      God grows weary of great kingdoms, but never of little flowers.

      68
      Wrong cannot afford defeat but Right can.

      69
      "I give my whole water in joy," sings the waterfall, "though little of it is enough for the thirsty."

      70
      Where is the fountain that throws up these flowers in a ceaseless outbreak of ecstasy?

      71
      The woodcutter's axe begged for its handle from the tree. The tree gave it.

      72
      In my solitude of heart I feel the sigh of this widowed evening veiled with mist and rain.

      73
      Chastity is a wealth that comes from abundance of love.

      74
      The mist, like love, plays upon the heart of the hills and brings out surprises of beauty.

      75
      We read the world wrong and say that it deceives us.

      76
      The poet wind is out over the sea and the forest to seek his own voice.

      77
      Every child comes with the message that God is not yet discouraged of man.

      78
      The grass seeks her crowd in the earth. The tree seeks his solitude of the sky.

      79
      Man barricades against himself.

      80
      Your voice, my friend, wanders in my heart, like the muffled sound of the sea among these listening pines.

      81
      What is this unseen flame of darkness whose sparks are the stars?

      82
      Let life be beautiful like summer flowers and death like autumn leaves.

      88
      He who wants to do good knocks at the gate; he who loves finds the gate open.

      84
      In death the many becomes one; in life the one becomes many.
      Religion will be one when God is dead.

      85
      The artist is the lover of Nature, therefore he is her slave and her master.

      86
      "How far are you from me, O Fruit?"

      "I am hidden in your heart, O Flower."

      87
      This longing is for the one who is felt in the dark, but not seen in the day.

      88
      "You are the big drop of dew under the lotus leaf, I am the smaller one on its upper side," said the dewdrop to the lake.

      89
      The scabbard is content to be dull when it protects the keenness of the sword.

      90
      In darkness the One appears as uniform; in the light the One appears as manifold.

      91
      The great earth makes herself hospitable with the help of the grass.

      92
      The birth and death of the leaves are the rapid whirls of the eddy whose wider circles move slowly among stars.

      93
      Power said to the world, "You are mine."

      The world kept it prisoner on her throne.

      Love said to the world, "I am thine."

      The world gave it the freedom of her house.

      94
      The mist is like the earth's desire. It hides the sun for whom she cries.

      95
      Be still, my heart, these great trees are prayers.

      96
      The noise of the moment scoffs at the music of the Eternal.

      97
      I think of other ages that floated upon the stream of life and love and death and are forgotten, and I feel the freedom of passing away.

      98
      The sadness of my soul is her bride's veil.
      It waits to be lifted in the night.

      99
      Death's stamp gives value to the coin of life; making it possible to buy with life what is truly precious.

      100
      The cloud stood humbly in a corner of the sky.
      The morning crowned it with splendour.

      101
      The dust receives insult and in return offers her flowers.

      102
      Do not linger to gather flowers to keep them, but walk on, for flowers will keep themselves blooming all your way.

      103
      Roots are the branches down in the earth.
      Branches are roots in the air.

      104
      The music of the far-away summer flutters around the Autumn seeking its former nest.

      105
      Do not insult your friend by lending him merits from your own pocket.

      106
      The touch of the nameless days clings to my heart like mosses round the old tree.

      107
      The echo mocks her origin to prove she is the original.

      108
      God is ashamed when the prosperous boasts of His special favour.

      109
      I cast my own shadow upon my path, because I have a lamp that has not been lighted.

      110
      Man goes into the noisy crowd to drown his own clamour of silence.

      111
      That which ends in exhaustion is death, but the perfect ending is in the endless.

      112
      The sun has his simple robe of light. The clouds are decked with gorgeousness.

      113
      The hills are like shouts of children who raise their arms, trying to catch stars.

      114
      The road is lonely in its crowd for it is not loved.

      115
      The power that boasts of its mischiefs is laughed at by the yellow leaves that fall, and clouds that pass by.

      116
      The earth hums to me to-day in the sun, like a woman at her spinng, some ballad of the ancient time in a forgotten tongue.

      117
      The grass-blade is worth of the great world where it grows.

      118
      Dream is a wife who must talk.
      Sleep is a husband who silently suffers.

      119
      The night kisses the fading day whispering to his ear, "I am death, your mother. I am to give you fresh birth."

      120
      I feel, thy beauty, dark night, like that of the loved woman when she has put out the lamp.

      121
      I carry in my world that flourishes the worlds that have failed.

      122
      Dear friend, I feel the silence of your great thoughts of may a deepening eventide on this beach when I listen to these waves.

      123
      The bird thinks it is an act of kindness to give the fish a lift in the air.

      124
      "In the moon thou sendest thy love letters to me," said the night to the sun.

      "I leave my answers in tears upon the grass."

      125
      The Great is a born child; when he dies he gives his great childhood to the world.

      126
      Not hammerstrokes, but dance of the water sings the pebbles into perfection.

      127
      Bees sip honey from flowers and hum their thanks when they leave.
      The gaudy butterfly is sure that the flowers owe thanks to him.

      128
      To be outspoken is easy when you do not wait to speak the complete truth.

      129
      Asks the Possible to the Impossible, "Where is your dwelling place?"

      "In the dreams of the impotent," comes the answer.

      130
      If you shut your door to all errors truth will be shut out.

      131
      I hear some rustle of things behind my sadness of heart,- I cannot see them.

      132
      Leisure in its activity is work.
      The stillness of the sea stirs in waves.

      133
      The leaf becomes flower when it loves.
      The flower becomes fruit when it worships.

      134
      The roots below the earth claim no rewards for making the branches fruitful.

      135
      This rainy evening the wind is restless.
      I look at the swaying branches and ponder over the greatness of all things.

      136
      Storm of midnight, like a giant child awakened in the untimely
      dark, has begun to play and shout.

      137
      Thou raisest thy waves vainly to follow thy lover. O sea, thou lonely bride of the storm.

      138
      "I am ashamed of my emptiness," said the Word to the Work.
      "I know how poor I am when I see you," said the Work to the Word.

      139
      Time is the wealth of change, but the clock in its parody makes it mere change and no wealth.

      140
      Truth in her dress finds facts too tight.
      In fiction she moves with ease.

      141
      When I travelled to here and to there, I was tired of thee, O Road, but now when thou leadest me to everywhere I am wedded to thee in love.

      142
      Let me think that there is one among those stars that guides my life through the dark unknown.

      143
      Woman, with the grace of your fingers you touched my things and order came out like music.

      144
      One sad voice has its nest among the ruins of the years.
      It sings to me in the night,- "I loved you."

      145
      The flaming fire warns me off by its own glow.
      Save me from the dying embers hidden under ashes.

      146
      I have my stars in the sky,
      But oh for my little lamp unlit in my house.

      147 The dust of the dead words clings to thee. Wash thy soul with silence.

      148 Gaps are left in life through which comes the sad music of death.

      149
      The world has opened its heart of light in the morning.
      Come out, my heart, with thy love to meet it.

      150
      My thoughts shimmer with these shimmering leaves and my heart sings with the touch of this sunlight; my life is glad to be floating with all things into the blue of space, into the dark of time.

      151
      God's great power is in the gentle breeze, not in the storm.

      152
      This is a dream in which things are all loose and they oppress.
      I shall find them gathered in thee when I awake and shall be free.

      153
      "Who is there to take up my duties?" asked the setting sun.

      "I shall do what I can, my Master," said the earthen lamp.

      154
      By plucking her petals you do not gather the beauty of the flower.

      155
      Silence will carry your voice like the nest that holds the sleeping birds.

      156
      The Great walks with the Small without fear.
      The Middling keeps aloof.

      157
      The night opens the flowers in secret and allows the day to get thanks.

      158
      Power takes as ingratitude the writhings of its victims.

      159
      When we rejoice in our fulness, then we can part with our fruits with joy.

      160
      The raindrops kissed the earth and whispered,--"We are thy
      homesick children, mother, come back to thee from the heaven."

      161
      The cobweb pretends to catch dew-drops and catches flies.

      162
      Love! when you come with the burning lamp of pain in your hand,
      I can see your face and know you as bliss.

      163
      "The learned say that your lights will one day be no more." said the firefly to the stars.

      The stars made no answer.

      164
      In the dusk of the evening the bird of some early dawn comes to the nest of my silence.

      165
      Thoughts pass in my mind like flocks of ducks in the sky.
      I hear the voice of their wings.

      166
      The canal loves to think that rivers exist solely to supply it with water.

      167
      The world has kissed my soul with its pain, asking for its return in songs.

      168
      That which oppresses me, is it my soul trying to come out in the open, or the soul of the world knocking at my heart for its entrance?

      169
      Thought feeds itself with its own words and grows.

      170
      I have dipped the vessel of my heart into this silent hour; it has filled with love.

      171
      Either you have work or you have not.
      When you have to say, "Let us do something," then begins mischief.

      172
      The sunflower blushed to own the nameless flower as her kin.
      The sun rose and smiled on it, saying, "Are you well, my darling?"

      173
      "Who drives me forward like fate?"

      "The Myself striding on my back."

      174
      The clouds fill the watercups of the river, hiding themselves in the distant hills.

      175
      I spill water from my water jar as I walk on my way,
      Very little remains for my home.

      176
      The water in a vessel is sparkling; the water in the sea is dark.
      The small truth has words that are clear; the great truth has great silence.

      177
      Your smile was the flowers of your own fields, your talk was the rustle of your own mountain pines, but your heart was the woman that we all know.

      178
      It is the little things that I leave behind for my loved ones,-- great things are for everyone.

      179
      Woman, thou hast encircled the world's heart with the depth of thy tears as the sea has the earth.

      180
      The sunshine greets me with a smile. The rain, his sad sister, talks to my heart.

      181
      My flower of the day dropped its petals forgotten. In the evening it ripens into a golden fruit of memory.

      182
      I am like the road in the night listening to the footfalls of its memories in silence.

      183
      The evening sky to me is like a window, and a lighted lamp, and a waiting behind it.

      184
      He who is too busy doing good finds no time to be good.

      185
      I am the autumn cloud, empty of rain, see my fulness in the field of ripened rice.

      186
      They hated and killed and men praised them.
      But God in shame hastens to hide its memory under the green grass.

      187
      Toes are the fingers that have forsaken their past.

      188
      Darkness travels towards light, but blindness towards death.

      189
      The pet dog suspects the universe for scheming to take its place.

      190
      Sit still my heart, do not raise your dust.
      Let the world find its way to you.

      191
      The bow whispers to the arrow before it speeds forth--"Your freedom is mine."

      192
      Woman, in your laughter you have the music of the fountain of life.

      193
      A mind all logic is like a knife all blade.
      It makes the hand bleed that uses it.

      194
      God loves man's lamp lights better than his own great stars.

      195
      This world is the world of wild storms kept tame with the music of beauty.

      196
      "My heart is like the golden casket of thy kiss," said the sunset cloud to the sun.

      197
      By touching you may kill, by keeping away you may possess.

      198
      The cricket's chirp and the patter of rain come to me through the dark, like the rustle of dreams from my past

      youth. 199
      "I have lost my dewdrop," cries the flower to the morning sky that has lost all its stars.

      200
      The burning log bursts in flame and cries,--"This is my flower, my death."

      201
      The wasp thinks that the honey-hive of the neighbouring bees is too small. His neighbours ask him to build one still smaller.

      202
      "I cannot keep your waves," says the bank to the river.

      "Let me keep your footprints in my heart."

      203
      The day, with the noise of this little earth, drowns the silence of all worlds.

      204
      The song feels the infinite in the air, the picture in the earth, the poem in the air and the earth;
      For its words have meaning that walks and music that soars.

      205
      When the sun goes down to the West, the East of his morning stands before him in silence.

      206
      Let me not put myself wrongly to my world and set it against me.

      207
      Praise shames me, for I secretly beg for it.

      208
      Let my doing nothing when I have nothing to do become untroubled in its depth of peace like the evening in the seashore when the water is silent.

      209
      Maiden, your simplicity, like the blueness of the lake, reveals your depth of truth.

      210
      The best does not come alone. It comes with the company of the all.

      211
      God's right hand is gentle, but terrible is his left hand.

      212
      My evening came among the alien trees and spoke in a language which my morning stars did not know.

      213
      Night's darkness is a bag that bursts with the gold of the dawn.

      214
      Our desire lends the colours of the rainbow to the mere mists and vapours of life.

      215
      God waits to win back his own flowers as gifts from man's hands.

      216
      My sad thoughts tease me asking me their own names.

      217
      The service of the fruit is precious, the service of the flower is sweet, but let my service be the service of the leaves in its shade of humble devotion.

      218
      My heart has spread its sails to the idle winds for the shadowy island of Anywhere.

      219
      Men are cruel, but Man is kind.

      220
      Make me thy cup and let my fulness be for thee and for thine.

      221
      The storm is like the cry of some god in pain whose love the earth refuses.

      222
      The world does not leak because death is not a crack.

      223
      Life has become richer by the love that has been lost.

      224
      My friend, your great heart shone with the sunrise of the East like the snowy summit of a lonely hill in the dawn.

      225
      The fountain of death makes the still water of life play.

      226
      Those who have everything but thee, my God, laugh at those who have nothing but thyself.

      227
      The movement of life has its rest in its own music.

      228
      Kicks only raise dust and not crops from the earth.

      229
      Our names are the light that glows on the sea waves at night and then dies without leaving its signature.

      230
      Let him only see the thorns who has eyes to see the rose.

      231
      Set bird's wings with gold and it will never again soar in the sky.

      232
      The same lotus of our clime blooms here in the alien water with the same sweetness, under another name.

      233
      In heart's perspective the distance looms large.

      234
      The moon has her light all over the sky, her dark spots to herself.

      235
      Do not say, "It is morning," and dismiss it with a name of yesterday. See it for the first time as a new-born child that has no name.

      236
      Smoke boasts to the sky, and Ashes to the earth, that they are brothers to the fire.

      237
      The raindrop whispered to the jasmine, "Keep me in your heart for ever."

      The jasmine sighed, "Alas," and dropped to the ground.

      238
      Timid thoughts, do not be afraid of me.
      I am a poet.

      239
      The dim silence of my mind seems filled with crickets' chirp--the grey twilight of sound.

      240
      Rockets, your insult to the stars follows yourself back to the earth.

      241
      Thou hast led me through my crowded travels of the day to my evening's loneliness.
      I wait for its meaning through the stillness of the night.

      242
      This life is the crossing of a sea, where we meet in the same narrow ship.
      In death we reach the shore and go to our different worlds.

      243
      The stream of truth flows through its channels of mistakes.

      244
      My heart is homesick to-day for the one sweet hour across the sea of time.

      245
      The bird-song is the echo of the morning light back from the earth.

      246
      "Are you too proud to kiss me?" the morning light asks the buttercup.

      247
      "How may I sing to thee and worship, O Sun?" asked the little flower.

      "By the simple silence of thy purity," answered the sun.

      248
      Man is worse than an animal when he is an animal.

      249
      Dark clouds become heaven's flowers when kissed by light.

      250
      Let not the sword-blade mock its handle for being blunt.

      251
      The night's silence, like a deep lamp, is burning with the light of its milky way.

      252
      Around the sunny island of Life swells day and night death's limitless song of the sea.

      253
      Is not this mountain like a flower, with its petals of hills, drinking the sunlight?

      254
      The real with its meaning read wrong and emphasis misplaced is the unreal.

      255
      Find your beauty, my heart, from the world's movement, like the boat that has the grace of the wind and the water.

      256
      The eyes are not proud of their sight but of their eyeglasses.

      257
      I live in this little world of mine and am afraid to make it the least less. Lift me into thy world and let me have the freedom gladly to lose my all.

      258
      The false can never grow into truth by growing in power.

      259
      My heart, with its lapping waves of song, longs to caress this green world of the sunny day.

      260
      Wayside grass, love the star, then your dreams will come out in flowers.

      261
      Let your music, like a sword, pierce the noise of the market to its heart.

      262
      The trembling leaves of this tree touch my heart like the fingers of an infant child.

      263
      This sadness of my soul is her bride's veil.
      It waits to be lifted in the night.

      264
      The little flower lies in the dust.
      It sought the path of the butterfly.

      265
      I am in the world of the roads. The night comes. Open thy gate, thou world of the home.

      266
      I have sung the songs of thy day. In the evening let me carry thy lamp through the stormy path.

      267
      I do not ask thee into the house.
      Come into my infinite loneliness, my Lover.

      268
      Death belongs to life as birth does. The walk is in the raising of the foot as in the laying of it down.

      269
      I have learnt the simple meaning of thy whispers in flowers and sunshine--teach me to know thy words in pain and death.

      270
      The night's flower was late when the morning kissed her, she shivered and sighed and dropped to the ground.

      271
      Through the sadness of all things I hear the crooning of the Eternal Mother.

      272
      I came to your shore as a stranger, I lived in your house as a guest, I leave your door as a friend, my earth.

      273
      Let my thoughts come to you, when I am gone, like the afterglow of sunset at the margin of starry silence.

      274
      Light in my heart the evening star of rest and then let the night whisper to me of love.

      275
      I am a child in the dark. I stretch my hands through the coverlet of night for thee, Mother.

      276
      The day of work is done. Hide my face in your arms, Mother. Let me dream.

      277
      The lamp of meeting burns long; it goes out in a moment at the parting.

      278
      One word keep for me in thy silence, O World, when I am dead, "I have loved."

      279
      We live in this world when we love it.

      280
      Let the dead have the immortality of fame, but the living the immortality of love.

      281
      I have seen thee as the half-awakened child sees his mother in the dusk of the dawn and then smiles and sleeps again.

      282
      I shall die again and again to know that life is inexhaustible.

      283
      While I was passing with the crowd in the road I saw thy smile from the balcony and I sang and forgot all noise.

      284
      Love is life in its fulness like the cup with its wine.

      285
      They light their own lamps and sing their own words in their temples.
      But the birds sing thy name in thine own morning light,--for thy name is joy.

      286
      Lead me in the centre of thy silence to fill my heart with songs.

      287
      Let them live who choose in their own hissing world of fireworks.
      My heart longs for thy stars, my God.

      288
      Love's pain sang round my life like the unplumbed sea, and love's joy sang like birds in its flowering groves.

      289
      Put out the lamp when thou wishest.
      I shall know thy darkness and shall love it.

      290
      When I stand before thee at the day's end thou shalt see my scars and know that I had my wounds and also my healing.

      291
      Some day I shall sing to thee in the sunrise of some other world,
      "I have seen thee before in the light of the earth, in the love of man."

      292
      Clouds come floating into my life from other days no longer to shed rain or usher storm but to give colour to my sunset sky.

      293
      Truth raises against itself the storm that scatters its seeds broadcast.

      294
      The storm of the last night has crowned this morning with golden peace.

      295
      Truth seems to come with its final word; and the final word gives birth to its next.

      296
      Blessed is he whose fame does not outshine his truth.

      297
      Sweetness of thy name fills my heart when I forget mine--like thy morning sun when the mist is melted.

      298
      The silent night has the beauty of the mother and the clamorous day of the child.

      299
      The world loved man when he smiled. The world became afraid of him when he laughed.

      300
      God waits for man to regain his childhood in wisdom.

      301
      Let me feel this world as thy love taking form, then my love will help it.

      302
      Thy sunshine smiles upon the winter days of my heart, never doubting of its spring flowers.

      303
      God kisses the finite in his love and man the infinite.

      304
      Thou crossest desert lands of barren years to reach the moment of fulfilment.

      305
      God's silence ripens man's thoughts into speech.

      306
      Thou wilt find, Eternal Traveller, marks of thy footsteps across my songs.

      307
      Let me not shame thee, Father, who displayest thy glory in thy children.

      308
      Cheerless is the day, the light under frowning clouds is like a punished child with traces of tears on its pale cheeks, and the cry of the wind is like the cry of a wounded world. But I know I am travelling to meet my Friend.

      309
      To-night there is a stir among the palm leaves, a swell in the sea, Full Moon, like the heart throb of the world. From what unknown sky hast thou carried in thy silence the aching secret of love?

      310
      I dream of a star, an island of light, where I shall be born and in the depth of its quickening leisure my life will ripen its works like the ricefield in the autumn sun.

      311
      The smell of the wet earth in the rain rises like a great chant of praise from the voiceless multitude of the insignificant.

      312
      That love can ever lose is a fact that we cannot accept as truth.

      313
      We shall know some day that death can never rob us of that which our soul has gained, for her gains are one with herself.

      314
      God comes to me in the dusk of my evening with the flowers from my past kept fresh in his basket.

      315
      When all the strings of my life will be tuned, my Master, then at every touch of thine will come out the music of love.

      316
      Let me live truly, my Lord, so that death to me become true.

      317
      Man's history is waiting in patience for the triumph of the insulted man.

      318
      I feel thy gaze upon my heart this moment like the sunny silence of the morning upon the lonely field whose harvest is over.

      319
      I long for the Island of Songs across this heaving Sea of Shouts.

      320
      The prelude of the night is commenced in the music of the sunset, in its solemn hymn to the ineffable dark.

      321
      I have scaled the peak and found no shelter in fame's bleak and barren height. Lead me, my Guide, before the light fades, into the valley of quiet where life's harvest mellows into golden wisdom.

      322
      Things look phantastic in this dimness of the dusk--the spires whose bases are lost in the dark and tree tops like blots of ink. I shall wait for the morning and wake up to see thy city in the light.

      323
      I have suffered and despaired and known death and I am glad that I am in this great world.

      324
      There are tracts in my life that are bare and silent. They are the open spaces where my busy days had their light and air.

      325
      Release me from my unfulfilled past clinging to me from behind making death difficult.

      326
      Let this be my last word, that I trust in thy love.

      - Rabindranath Tagore