#4117 - Tuesday, December 28, 2010 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 28, 2010

      #4117 - Tuesday, December 28, 2010 - Editor: Gloria Lee

      "Lalla discarded her books that told about it,
      and through meditation saw the truth that
      never comes to anyone from reading words."

      _Lalla (14th cent, Kashmir)

      Poetry Chaikhana

      by Peter Shefler

      Thou my sacred solitude,
      thou art as rich and clean and wide
      as an awakening garden.
      My sacred solitude thou -
      hold shut the golden doors
      before which wishes wait.

      _Rainer Maria Rilke, First Poems
      Sunrise Over the Mouth of the Wye River, from Far Away Point, Maryland

      Photo by Peter Shefler

      Interactive Sliding Scale of the Universe

      Thanks to Dave Mason

      Change Happens

      As Buddhists, we work to accept the impermanence and inevitable decay of the
      physical body. But it’s not enough to accept it as a fact; we can believe in this
      and still not want it in plain sight. Nagarjuna said, “Change makes all things
      possible.” It is only because of change that suffering can end—and it is because
      of change that our bodies fall apart, like all compounded things. We cannot have
      one without the other, but we try.

      - Sallie Tisdale, "Washing Out Emptiness"

      In our own impermanent bodies, we face our deepest fears and aversions. Drawing
      on Dogen's writings and her personal experience as a nurse, Sallie Tisdale
      challenges us not to look away, but to practice in this most intimate realm.

      Tisdale's full article: http://www.tricycle.com/feature/washing-out-emptiness?page=0,0

      [ Ed Note: Reading this may in itself be an exercise in overcoming aversion.]