#4110 - Monday, December 20, 2010 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 20, 2010

      #4110 - Monday, December 20, 2010 - Editor: Gloria Lee

      This issue is dedicated to the memory of my dear friend, Cathy Priore.
      b. 10/13/1955 - d. 12/11/2010
      Her passing is felt as a tremendous loss by all who knew her.

      Grace is not something to be acquired from others.
      If it is external, it is useless.
      All that is necessary is to know its existence in you.

      - Ramana Maharshi

      If you seek the grace of God with your whole heart,
      then you may be assured that the grace of God is also seeking you.

      - Ramana Maharshi

      This sense of affection, this love, this quality cannot be cultivated,
      cannot be practised, cannot be brought about; but it must happen
      as naturally as breathing, as fully with great joy and delight as the sunset.
      - J. Krishnamurti

      by Kia Pierce on Facebook

      When we speak of a calm state of mind or peace of mind, we shouldn't
      confuse that with an insensitive state of apathy. Having a calm or peaceful
      state of mind doesn't mean being spaced out or completely empty. Peace
      of mind or a calm state of mind is rooted in affection and compassion and
      is sensitive and responsive to others.

      - Dalai Lama

      Like a Herd of Luminous Deer

      You come and go. The doors swing closed

      ever more gently, almost without a shudder.

      Of all those who move through the quiet houses,

      you are the quietest.

      We become so accustomed to you,

      we no longer look up

      when your shadow falls over the book we are reading

      and makes it glow. For all things

      sing you: at times

      we just hear them more clearly.

      Often when I imagine you

      your wholeness cascades into many shapes.

      You run like a herd of luminous deer

      and I am dark, I am forest.

      You are a wheel at which I stand,

      whose dark spokes sometimes catch me up,

      revolve me nearer to the center.

      Then all the work I put my hand to

      widens from turn to turn.

      _ Rainer Maria Rilke, Love Poems to God, The Book of Monastic Life

      posted by Peter Shefler to Facebook, photo by Peter Shefler

      White Owl Flies Into and Out of the Field

      Coming down out of the freezing sky
      with its depths of light,
      like an angel, or a Buddha with wings,
      it was beautiful, and accurate,
      striking the snow and whatever was there
      with a force that left the imprint
      of the tips of its wings — five feet apart —
      and the grabbing thrust of its feet,
      and the indentation of what had been running
      through the white valleys of the snow —
      and then it rose, gracefully,
      and flew back to the frozen marshes
      to lurk there, like a little lighthouse,
      in the blue shadows —
      so I thought:
      maybe death isn't darkness, after all,
      but so much light wrapping itself around us —

      as soft as feathers —
      that we are instantly weary of looking, and looking,
      and shut our eyes, not without amazement,
      and let ourselves be carried,
      as through the translucence of mica,
      to the river that is without the least dapple or shadow,
      that is nothing but light — scalding, aortal light —
      in which we are washed and washed
      out of our bones.

      -  Mary Oliver

      (House of Light)