Tuesday, July 18

  • umbada@ns.sympatico.ca
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 19, 2000
      CHRISTIANA DURANCZYK

      I've just loaded a collection of photos taken at the Diamond
      Hill retreat in Providence:

      http://www.egroups.com/files/NondualitySalon/Diamond+Hill+retreat+July+2000/

      *****

      Judi, thanks to the generosity of your many friends here, I
      have funds
      ready for you and possibly Merianne to fly to see your mom
      whenever you
      need to do so. Please send me your address and I'll mail out
      a check.

      For anyone who may have lost the link to contribute, it's:
      https://secure.paypal.com/refer/pal=cpd%40well.com

      GREG GOODE

      As seen from here.

      This was a remarkable retreat. A total and effortless
      celebration of Love and Self. It was very much an in-person
      extension of the activities of NDS and HarshaSatsangh.
      There were endless stories and conversations at the
      12-person kitchen table. Plus, we had book exchanges, and
      few activities in the beautiful Korean zendo which was a
      Kwan Yin Hall (Kwan Yin, the Bodhisattva of compassion). It
      was right in our building! We had meditations which were
      seated, walking, talking, and whirling meditations - all
      celebratory. There was salsa dancing, sitting on the
      lakefront, walks in the woods, and an outing to eat pizza.

      We want to do it again. One of my friends, Michael Rosker
      here in NYC, is not a lister, but wants to come along next
      time. After hearing about it, he declared that in 15 years
      of spiritual activities, he'd never heard of a group outing
      with so much grounded love and clarity. Petros might come
      down NYC-way to hang with us one of these days, as Petros
      and Michael know many of the same people across the
      country.

      The only lister I had met face-to-face before this
      gathering was Christiana. So everyone was brand new, even
      Christiana! Here are some capsule description/impressions
      as seen from here, of the wonderful and beautiful people at
      Diamond Hill. I THINK I got everyone. Please remind me and
      forgive me if I forgot anyone. The monk who made our meals
      while we were jabbering at the table seemed to smile and
      perk up his ears at the conversations.

      Andrew - A wry, witty, intelligent sense of humor that is
      always kind. With an unerringly accurate ability to sum up
      any conversation in fewer than 10 words! Might be a
      breatharian, I don't remember seeing him eat anything, even
      though he came for pizza with us...

      Biff (Glora's husband) - So far, not a post-er to
      NDS/Harsha. Razor-sharp intellect, combined with tender
      curiosity and an open heart. With salt+pepper hair and
      beard, like a wise scientist or a dignified ship's captain.

      Christiana - Living, serving compassion combined with
      psychic and intuitive and artistic abilities, always there
      for any/everyone at every moment. Dances beautifully to
      salsa, and likes spicy curly fries.

      David - Sweet, tender and selfless, with radiant angelic
      energy emanating from his physical form and kindly face. I
      wanted to talk to him some more but he had to go home
      before Sunday. Posted great driving directions, saving us
      from major traffic jams on the drive through Connecticutt.

      Gloria - Divine-mother energy, honest and courageous. The
      actual backbone of the retreat. Gave us form and direction,
      or we'd have sat at the kitchen table aimlessly yakking for
      18 hours a day. Brought her sweet husband Biff. She has a
      touch of a Southern accent, a beautiful way of drawing out
      words, especially as heard with NYC ears!

      Harsha (pronounced "HERsha") Our fearless HarshaSatsangh
      leader. - Always joyfully celebrating everyone's uniqueness
      and special-ness. Impossible to feel bad in his presence.
      Likes fruit and tea for breakfast. Much better looking than
      Deepak Chopra.

      Jerry - Our fearless NDS leader. The guy who, the closer
      you look, just isn't there. Always giving everything to
      everyone else, like the compliments we give him, and love
      and other stuff. Well, everything except those
      whipped-cream-filled chocolate Devil Dogs he likes for
      breakfast.

      Mark - A loving, beating, giving poetic Heart, temporarily
      taking the form of a human being. Introduced the Jelly Roll
      – not food, but a unique and wonderful way of saying "I
      love you" with a lot of feeling and a Zen twist at the end.
      I'd never seen it before!

      Mary (Mark's wife) - So far, not a post-er to NDS/Harsha.
      The most beautiful brown doe eyes, very much at home with
      14 people she'd never met. I wanted to talk to her more!

      Michael - With a face like Jack Nicholson and a great,
      rock-solid, psychic strength, he continuously celebrates
      everyone's existence as awareness Itself. If someone has a
      belief that they are a this-thing or a that-thing, or if
      they have a concept that they are somehow not really OK,
      then just hang with Michael for a few seconds... Likes
      pizza with hot Italian pepper.

      Nora - Vast depths of multi-cultural awareness, a
      bibliophile, with a prodigious memory, and a great
      navigator with a map. Always had water and fruit for
      everyone. Has beautiful children that we all fell in love
      with from the photos. Loves Prince Edward Island.

      o.h./Indra - Neither old, nor a hag! Beautiful and radiant
      with a touch of Southern accent. Because she said she
      really has no name that fits, and because of her effortless
      way of reflecting what others feel/think/say, I would like
      to call her Indra, after the jewels in Indra's Net.

      Petros - Tender-hearted, open curiosity, with an
      encyclopedic acquaintance with satsang in the Western world
      - I wouldn't be surprised if he someday wrote a book on
      that phenomenon. I'd buy it! Brought Dunkin Doughnuts for
      everyone, and holy water from Ammachi. Hope he comes to NYC
      some day.

      Victor - Been involved with Tibetan Buddhism in the U.S.
      since the 1950's. Falstaffian bearing, looks like Swami
      Satchitananda, especially with the robe we made for him out
      of a colorful bedsheet. Has the enthusiasm and wonder of an
      energetic schoolboy.

      *****

      After I returned from Diamond Hill on Sunday, I got a
      message that my father had passed away on Saturday night.
      Actually, right about the time of the salsa dancing. He had
      been very ill, often painfully, for 2 years. A few months
      ago, I went to see him in Seattle for what I knew would be
      the last time. It was a nice meeting, clear, un-encumbered,
      loving, spacious.

      My family thinks he went peacefully and purposefully when
      he did. My mother, a good 50's-style wife and mother who
      lived for and through her husband for over half a century,
      is taking it hard. But knowing he was at peace gives her
      some comfort, and she's learning a bit about how grieving
      is done. I spent a lot of time with her on the phone. Our
      family is atheist by tradition, but my sister (45 years
      old) has a Japanese boyfriend who is introducing her to
      Buddhism, and this is helping her. She in turn is helping
      my mother.

      The lady I am seeing and I are pretty serious, will
      probably get engaged soon. Her name is Ann (Yan-Ming).
      She's from Canton, above Hong Kong. A few weeks ago, she
      had a beautiful Chinese agate and crystal bracelet
      custom-made for my mother, with a matching necklace. She
      wants to give this to my mother when she meets her. I think
      we'll go in December for the holidays. This cheered my mom
      up, I think she'd like to see me married! When we go, we
      might gather with Michael Read and some others in Portland
      or thereabouts.

[...]

      MARK OTTER

      Greg, sweet heart,

      May your father be free from suffering
      May your father be clear
      May your father be happy
      May all beings interpenetrate your father as He wills.

      CHRISTIANA DURANCZYK

      Dear Greg..

      What an amazing sequence of letters we've received from you
      tonight! Before you shared both the extremes of sad and
      joyful news, you first offered us such lovely abstracts of
      your experience with us. You are a rather remarkable man.

      I sit with you in this time of familial void. That the Deep
      Heart knows that even death is included in Consciousness,
      is some balm for the surface heart. Yet, the surface heart
      has a rhythm of its own needing respect. I light a warm
      Golden candle to gently illuminate the contracting hearts.
      I light a Crystal clear one for your dad's transition.

      Mark plunges into Truth
      Like Gazelle
      Standing in a new-age crystal shop
      First smell of the new-lit lion incense.
      Glass everywhere
      Flying razor dharma

      It's good
      Mark needs bleeding
      And the room needs the blood.

      --Mark Otter

      DAVID HODGES

      At lunch today I went to sit on a bench by the harbor. I
      live in New Haven, which is home to the newly built replica
      of the Amistad, the slave ship on which Cinque and his
      fellow slaves revolted against their cruel masters. The
      Amistad came to New Haven where the former slaves were
      tried and set free.

      So this completely new replica of the Amistad now sits
      proudly at the wharf in New Haven, and hordes of people are
      visiting it. It is a genuine fake. It is a real, sea-worthy
      ship, but only a replica, a copy of that which it
      represents. Yet people don't care, genuine fakes are mostly
      what our whole lives are about these days, from Disney
      World, to tv, to movies, to virtual experiences of all
      kinds. Even when we do things like fall in love it is often
      a copy of the real thing, we construct it according to
      patterns we have learned about from others.

      So, anyway, my visual field was full of activity - sky,
      clouds, harbor, water, ships, people. My auditory field was
      full of traffic noise and the breeze, and my skin also
      registered the breeze, as well as the heat of the sunlight.
      I was trying to get into the pure Witness state and the
      thought occurred to me that consciousness consists of that
      of which consciousness is aware, and then I thought, no,
      that isn't right, consciousness persists as we go to sleep
      (I have remained aware while entering sleep), and,
      according to reports from people like Ken Wilber, persists
      into deep dreamless sleep. And, after death. So
      consciousness is. It shines whether or not there is
      something in its field. I remember that light that appeared
      in my awareness over a year ago and that is still here, and
      I think it is the pure light of consciousness.

      Within this view, the so-called "witness" seems somewhat
      vague and shadowy and unreal. It seems like less of a
      feature of the verifiable awareness field than it did last
      year.

      The idea that Greg gave me via his subtle-body meditation,
      of the illusion of locality, is very helpful. The idea that
      consciousness is local is an illusion. The idea that what I
      was seeing today at the harbor was of a particular time and
      place is an illusion. It is an illusion brought on by our
      habitual perceptual methodology of triangulating objects in
      time and space for convenience. But in "Reality" this isn't
      true, and thus, non-localized Reality provides a convenient
      way to surf from time/space locus to time/space locus
      instantaneously.

      We are bound by what we know. Our knowledge makes
      everything we perceive a genuine fake.

      So knowledge creates another perceptual blinder, a way to
      structure that which is inherently limitless.

      Meanwhile, back to consciousness. If I stay focused on the
      shining independent consciousness, no matter whether it
      seems to arise in my head or chest or on some minor planet
      of the Sirius sector, something happens. The Ramana I-I
      feeling starts to arise. Energetic stirrings are felt in
      the right-hand heart center.

      It is an interesting thing to note that I still don't know
      why attention is so different than consciousness. For this
      only works when I work the attention muscle to stay in
      radiant consciousness. When that muscle relaxes, which it
      is wont to do, attention wanders all over the place and I
      "go to sleep" for a while. Why is that?

      I think there are energy fields, or M-fields (Rupert
      Sheldrake's morphogenic fields) that do that. Attention
      normally runs along M-lines that have been created through
      millenia of human existence. Only by applying a
      vector-energy can we break free. Note that the vector
      energy required is really not that much. The chains that
      bind us are weak and easily broken. So the path to
      self-realization consists of establishing new M-lines
      sufficiently strong enough to break the attraction of the
      old ones. So it isn't a matter of "spirituality" or
      anything like that, it is a matter of establishing vectors
      that set attention in a new heading. That's what meditation
      does.

      So I left my bench by the Harbor, itself a genuine fake,
      and head back to work, feeling good, celebrating.

      Glaciers

      I have seen the heart of glaciers...
      Cold, ponderous, inexorable,
      And with the right glasses
      Seen to ebb and flow.
      Tidelike, yearning to be close to the moon
      Wishing to be free to play with dolphins
      To rise in plumes of rainbow mist
      To wet parched lips - to Love.
      I too wish to be more fluid,
      More quickly in my natural state
      More responsive to the playful ways of water
      Lighter and more full of light
      More able to meet your needs
      Especially your need to melt.

      --Mark Otter

      A new link has just been added to the Spiritual Net
      Directory: Now you can read on the web seven chapters of a
      somewhat poetic, somewhat abbreviated version of: The
      Avadhuta Gita: click:
      http://home.talkcity.com/GaiaWay/infinite_freedom then
      click the Avadhuta Gita link.

      --uarelove

      Poem by a beloved friend, Jimmy Hurley, of the Tuesday in
      New York satsang gathering. In tonight's satsang, the
      concept of external objects was brought up, and Jimmy was
      spot-on with a poem he had written a few years ago.

      Love,

      --Greg

      NO-THING'S THERE

      There's an object standing in front of you
      or though it may appear.
      But if you stop to contemplate
      you'll find it is not there.

      For as you look, the seer sees
      a picture in your mind.
      A concept of a thing out there
      is all that you can find.

      I bet you'll say, "No, here it is,"
      and pick it up to show
      -- but that's a feeling in your hand
      that's all you really know.

      "Wait a minute," I hear you say
      what trickery this ruse
      I can not bear to think these thoughts
      my mind I'm sure to lose.

      But as all things must come and go
      true comfort you will find.
      You're not your feelings, or your thoughts
      not your body or your mind.

      So don't be alarmed, I'll tell you why
      there's nothing you should fear
      you are the very consciousness
      in which all you know appears.

      --Jimmy Hurley

      I see friends shaking hands, saying how do you do...
      They're really saying I love you, and I think to myself,
      what a wonderful world...

      We are the Nonduality Generation.
      http://www.nonduality.com