#4106 - Thursday, December 16, 2010 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 16, 2010

      #4106 - Thursday, December 16, 2010 - Editor: Gloria Lee

      The poet lights the light and fades away. But the light goes on and on.
      - Emily Dickinson

      All beings in the world
      Are beyond the realm of words.
      Their ultimate nature, pure and true,
      Is like the infinity of space.

      Prajnaparamita

      photos by Alan Larus

      ‎"Poetry has an immediate effect on the mind. The simple act of reading poetry
      alters thought patterns and the shuttle of the breath. Poetry induces trance.
      Its words are chant. Its rhythms are drum beats. Its images become the icons
      of the inner eye. Poetry is more than a description of the sacred experience;
      it carries the experience itself."
      - Ivan M. Granger

      Holy Ground

      Let the vision
      of the vastness
      you are
      leave you
      in glorious
      ruins.

      Pilgrims will come
      to imagine
      the grand temple
      that once stood,
      not realizing

      the wreck
      made this empty plain
      holy ground.

      ~~~

       Bent

      Yes, seekers, you should
      sit up,
      stand tall.

      But hear
      my bent secret:

      All saints slouch.

      God's lovers lean
      into the divine embrace
      and there
      let the years pass.

      Struggling for straightness,
      your strivings shaken,

      learn what true knowers know:

      Effort clears the way,
      but the steps
      are already taken.

      ~~~

      Poetry Chaikhana readers often ask me about myself. Who is the guy
      behind all those poetry emails? What drew you to sacred poetry?
      And just what does "Poetry Chaikhana" mean?

      As a way to answer some of those questions, I thought I'd post
      an audio interview I did a couple of years ago. I talk a little about
      myself, and a lot about poetry -- the transformational power of
      poetry, the ways poetry naturally expresses the sacred experience,
      the non-dogmatic nature of poetry. And I read a few poems.

      I hope you find it inspiring and thought-provoking...

      Click to listen: Interview with Ivan M. Granger

      Ivan M. Granger is the creator and webmaster of the Poetry Chaikhana website.