HIGHLIGHTS - Sunday 16th July 2000

  • Manchine
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 17, 2000
      A VERY QUIET DAY, ALL AWAY AT THE DIAMOND HILL GATHERING

      DAN amd KKT:

      KKT: Sincere words are not sweet,
      Sweet words are not sincere.
      Tao Teh Ching
      and
      As for holding to fullness,
      Far better were it to stop in time!
      Tao Teh Ching
      ~~~~

      Dan:
      These words you shared
      from Lao Tzu yet
      resonate - with a power
      succinctly conveyed
      from the 'original condition'.

      An echo of something
      before infinity.

      As an arrow that
      hits the target
      directly, with
      no wavering.

      Pretty flowers fade,
      the Tao remains.

      Sweet talk covers,
      concealing what is unhidden.
      Sincere speech uncovers
      the obvious secret.

      In going too far,
      our mistiming leads
      to obscuring the truth.

      In knowing when not
      to go, the truth
      is our stability.

      Yes - stop in time
      so restraint
      speaks with the
      clarity that is
      lost by overextension.

      (KKT, the last stanza you
      quoted is quite far-reaching --
      in addition to appropriately
      commenting upon discourse
      in this forum, it can
      be applied to politics,
      relationships, Taoist
      sexual yoga, martial arts,
      and knowing original
      awareness. Now,
      *that's* a powerful statement.
      ;-)

      ~~~~

      KKT:
      Dear Dan-ji,

      Many thanks for always expressing very beautifully ;-)
      I want to offer you a poem of a Vietnamese Zen Master,
      Man Giac (1052-1096):

      When spring goes, the hundred flowers wither,
      When spring comes, the hundred flowers bloom.
      One thing after another, life passes before our eyes,
      Old age comes from above.
      Don't think that all flowers fall as spring ends,
      In the courtyard last night a plum branch bloomed.

      Peace.

      GENE:

      Gene:
      Awareness, like space,
      Contains all things,
      Yet is itself invisible.

      Pointing to invisible awareness
      Materializes imaginings
      Populating emptiness,

      D: Yes, very complicated, so how to illuminate?

      Gene:
      One possible way is to eliminate 'beginner level' teachings,
      which tend to use diverse and misleading analogies and metaphors.
      Confronting the explorer with illusion-breaking riddles, such as the
      traditional 'koan', will not let them off the hook.

      One of the problems with many teachings is the use of simile; this
      projects the assumption that if one can grasp what something is
      'like', that one can thus know that something. This is the problem
      with beginner level teachings of all kinds, as well as the many
      attempts to present material in such a way as to imply that there is
      salvation available through technique or 'ways'. If there were a
      successful formula or recipe (algorithm) for 'attaining realization',
      such would be in common use.

      From my POV, there is a reliable biological timer running in each
      person, which will key the release of multidimensional awareness, as
      is appropriate. It is unfortunate that self-esteem has been linked to
      'enlightenment'; that so many formulas for enlightenment are
      promulgated, keeping the community of seekers in frantic,
      hurdle-jumping motion, blaming themselves the whole time, for
      something that is not defective, and does not need to be fixed.

      ~~~~

      Gene:
      To depopulate emptiness
      Is to materialize awareness
      As space itself.

      When one points to what is not seen,
      One who sees what is not there,
      Sees what is there,

      D: Requiring someone who sees what is not there!

      Gene:
      It seems that the world is populated by those who see what is not there.

      This is the problem with the popular idea that one must 'banish the
      illusion'. If one banishes the illusion, what will be seen?
      Inevitably, just another version of the illusion.

      If on the other hand, one can see that what is seen are imaginings,
      one may be able to understand the operations of the imaginer or
      'dreamer'. The question then becomes, "what is imagination, and what
      is real?". Perhaps the answer to this question, is to know that
      seeing what is seen is the unknown itself, thus to strip assumed
      meaning from what is seen (and the seer), will allow one to know the
      unknown as the unknown. Assumption of knowledge is the displacement
      of unknown by 'veil'. Veil is preferable to the raw, unknowable
      unknown, as far as human feelings are concerned.

      ~~~~

      Gene:
      Seeing emptiness,
      Is seeing awareness
      Seeing naked space,

      Naked space is emptiness,
      Emptiness of imaginings,
      Fullness of awareness.

      Naked and aware...

      ==Gene Poole==

      D:
      Emptiness, the unknown is what's left
      after throwing away all that you know.

      Is David Hodges bringing
      A Sitecam
      By which to share the sharing?
      (HS/NDS Gathering Diamond Hill)

      Does the facility which hosts the Gathering
      Have a broadband connection?
      These questions have just occurred to me.

      DAVID HODGES:

      Hello Gene and all,
      Alas, no Sitecam, no broadband to show you the love, smiles, laughter,
      dancing, whirling, poetry, and fellowship of that gathering. I am back home
      with many wonderful memories and a joyful heart. This is indeed a vibrant
      community. It feels like the dawn of time and we have all awakened in some
      post-historical Eden free to create the world as we see fit. From the
      virtuality of cyberspace to the actuality of Diamond Hill Monastery was not
      a big leap at all, indeed, it was a homecoming. It was wonderful to
      discover Harsha's loving ability to bring the best out of people in
      conversation, Christiana's dancing grace, OH's surprising embodiment of
      clarity (she is anything but an Old Hag!), Nora's abiding presence,
      Andrew's warmth and light, Victor's laughter and his propensity to break
      out into song, Jerry's ability to sit with his elbows on a wooden kitchen
      table for 14 hours at a stretch, Michael's compassion, Mark and Mary's
      joyfulness and love for eachother and for us, Gloria's gift for keeping
      such a individualistic bunch on some kind of path, Biff's oneness with the
      group, Greg's teaching clarity and the way he beat time to Afro-Cuban salsa
      using an upended meditation stool, and Petros's articulate interiority.
      Plus we had some good cigars, lots of rain, and some terrific bullfrogs
      calling from the pond down below.
      Love,
      David

      MICHAEL READ:

      Just back to the cottage from the retreat. Having no qualities
      to call my own, this is offered from the Avadhut Gita:

      Verse 56.

      Why do you weep, O mind? Why do you cry?
      Take the attitude: "I am the Self!"
      O dear one, go beyond the many;
      Drink the supreme nectar of Unity!

      Dear friends,