#4099 - Thursday, December 9, 2010 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 10, 2010

      #4099 - Thursday, December 9, 2010 - Editor: Gloria Lee

      The idol of your self is the mother of all idols.
      The material idol is only a snake;
      while this inner idol is a dragon.
      It is easy to break an idol,
      but to regard the self as easy to subdue is a mistake.

      - Rumi

      Version by Camille and Kabir Helminski
      "Rumi: Daylight"
      posted by Along The Way

      Suzuki Roshi's instructions to the cook

      When I asked my Zen teacher, Shunryu Suzuki Roshi, if he had any
      advice for  working in the kitchen, he said, “When you wash the rice, wash
      the rice. When  you cut the carrots, cut the carrots. When you stir the
      soup, stir the soup.”  Taking his words to heart, I found that they had the
      power to evoke what lies  hidden in the depths of being. Something
      awakens. It is not self, not other, not  me, not the world. To “be mindful
      while you work” carries a certain dryness,  not to mention distraction:
      doing something—practicing mindfulness besides  what you are doing.
      What Suzuki Roshi meant was more like “throw yourself  into it” or
      “immerse yourself in what you are doing.”

      -Edward Espe Brown,  "Leavening Spirit"

      CLOSED PATH

      I thought that my voyage had come to its end

      at the last limit of my power, ---that the path before me was closed,

      that provisions were exhausted

      and the time come to take shelter in a silent obscurity.

      But I find that thy will knows no end in me.

      And when old words die out on the tongue,

      new melodies break forth from the heart;

      and where the old tracks are lost,

      new country is revealed with its wonders.

      Tagore

      photo by Alan Larus

      more Alan Larus photos: http://www.ferryfee.com/bluesky/Passing_crow.html

      NEW INNER DIRECTIONS WEBSITE

      We're pleased to announce the  new Inner Directions website and online
      Journal. You'll find some of the  best articles from past issues, plus the
      addition of many new articles.  Our plan is to add new content to each of
      the Journal categories on a  regular basis. We encourage you to visit
      www.InnerDirections.org and  enjoy the content.

      In Silence

      Be still
      Listen to the stones of the wall.
      Be silent, they try
      To speak your
      Name.
      Listen
      To the living walls.
      Who are you?
      Who
      Are you? Whose
      Silence are you?

      Who (be quiet)
      Are you (as these stones
      Are quiet). Do not
      Think of what you are
      Still less of
      What you may one day be.
      Rather
      Be what you are (but who?) be
      The unthinkable one
      You do not know.

      O be still, while
      You are still alive,
      And all things live around you
      Speaking (I do not hear)
      To your own being,
      Speaking by the Unknown
      That is in you and in themselves.
      “I will try, like them
      To be my own silence:
      And this is difficult. The whole
      world is secretly on fire. The stones
      Burn, even the stones
      They burn me. How can a man be still or
      Listen to all things burning? How can he dare
      To sit with them when
      All their silence
      Is on fire?”

      From

      In the Dark Before Dawn, by Thomas Merton

      http://www.innerdirections.org/journal/poetry/the-poetry-of-thomas-merton/