#4083 - Monday, November 22, 2010 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 22, 2010

      #4083 - Monday, November 22, 2010 - Editor: Gloria Lee

      Your duty is to be and not to be this or that.
      'I am that I am' sums up the whole truth.  The
      method is summed up in the words 'Be still'.
      What does stillness mean?  It means destroy
      yourself.  Because any form or shape is the
      cause for trouble.  Give up the notion that 'I
      am so and so'.  All that is required to realize
      the Self is to be still.  What can be easier than
      that?

                               - Sri Ramana Maharshi

      "Be As You Are"
      The Teachings of Sri Ramana Maharshi
      edited by David Godman
      posted to Along The Way

      Writings of Scott Kiloby

      excerpt:

      See that the very ideas that you cling to keep you trapped. And ultimately,
      the idea that keeps you trapped the most is the idea that there is a separate
      you. When you see thoughts arise that tell you “this is how life really is,” or
      "this is how I really am," let them pass. Just be for one moment without those
      thoughts. That is where freedom lies.

      It is our ideas about freedom, about enlightenment, happiness, truth, and
      spirituality, that keep us trapped. They are just ideas. Ideas are great. But
      when they are treated as truth, we really live in delusion. When you see your
      favorite ideas about enlightenment, happiness, spirituality, and truth arise, let
      them pass. Be free.

      In just being without thought, you are stripped naked. You have no
      expectation, no hope, no past, no future, no story, no other, and no object. It
      takes thoughts to have all those things. In just resting right there, you find
      the doorway to freedom.

      And when it dawns on you that freedom is here and that it lies at the very
      core of our existence, you are then free to entertain thoughts, have
      expectations, tell stories and even talk of objects “out there” in the world.
      But now you know what is really happening. Now you will never take your
      thoughts to be delivering reality.

      Anyone can have this freedom. All it takes is the desire to not emphasize the
      past, the future, your hope, your beliefs, your positions, and your
      expectations. To just be in a state of not knowing has a profound effect on us,
      as humans. Take this leap into the unknown. Find the freedom that is already
      here.

      Possibilities

      I prefer movies.
      I prefer cats.
      I prefer the oaks along the river.
      I prefer Dickens to Dostoyevsky.
      I prefer myself liking people
      to myself loving mankind.
      I prefer keeping a needle and thread on hand, just in case.
      I prefer the color green.
      I prefer not to maintain
      that reason is to blame for everything.
      I prefer exceptions.
      I prefer to leave early.
      I prefer talking to doctors about something else.
      I prefer the old fine-lined illustrations.
      I prefer the absurdity of writing poems
      to the absurdity of not writing poems.
      I prefer, where love's concerned, nonspecific anniversaries
      that can be celebrated every day.
      I prefer moralists
      who promise me nothing.
      I prefer cunning kindness to the over-trustful kind.
      I prefer the earth in civvies.
      I prefer conquered to conquering countries.
      I prefer having some reservations.
      I prefer the hell of chaos to the hell of order.
      I prefer Grimms' fairy tales to the newspapers' front pages.
      I prefer leaves without flowers to flowers without leaves.
      I prefer dogs with uncropped tails.
      I prefer light eyes, since mine are dark.
      I prefer desk drawers.
      I prefer many things that I haven't mentioned here
      to many things I've also left unsaid.
      I prefer zeroes on the loose
      to those lined up behind a cipher.
      I prefer the time of insects to the time of stars.
      I prefer to knock on wood.
      I prefer not to ask how much longer and when.
      I prefer keeping in mind even the possibility
      that existence has its own reason for being.

      ~ Wislawa Szymborska ~

      (Nothing Twice, trans. by S. Baranczak & C. Cavanagh)