- Archived issues of the NDHighlights are available online: http://nonduality.com/hlhome.htm Nonduality Highlights: IssueMessage 1 of 1 , Nov 21, 2010View SourceArchived issues of the NDHighlights are available online: http://nonduality.com/hlhome.htm
Nonduality Highlights: Issue #4081, Saturday, November 20, 2010
I begged the Wise One to tell me
the secret of the world.
Gently, gently he whispered,
the secret cannot be spoken,
it is wrapped in silence."
- Rumi, from Rumi - Whispers of the Beloved:Selected and translated by Azima Melita Kolin and Maryam Mafi, posted to AlongTheWay
Clear mind is like the full moon in the sky. Sometimes clouds come and cover it, but the moon is always behind them. Clouds go away, then the moon shines brightly. So don't worry about clear mind: it is always there. When thinking comes, behind it is clear mind. When thinking goes, there is only clear mind. Thinking comes and goes, comes and goes.
- Zen Master Seung Sahn, from Dropping Ashes on the Buddha, posted to DailyDharma
"Are there ways for gauging one's spiritual strength?"
"Give us one."
"Find out how often you become disturbed in the course of a single day."
- Anthony de Mello, SJ, posted to Distillation
When you have understood that all existence, in separation and limitation, is painful, and when you are willing and able to live integrally, in oneness with all life, as pure being, you have gone beyond all need of help. You can help another by precept and example and, above all, by your being. You cannot give what you do not have and you don't have what you are not. You can only give what you are - and of that you can give limitlessly.
- Nisargadatta Maharaj, posted to ANetofJewels
When you ride in a boat and watch the shore, you might assume that the shore is moving. But when you keep your eyes closely on the boat, you can see that the boat moves. Similarly, if you examine myriad things with a confused body and mind you might suppose that your mind and nature are permanent. When you practice intimately and return to where you are, it will be clear that nothing at all has unchanging self.
Zen Master Dogen, posted to Distillation
Words and the workings of the mind are, at best, limited tools pointing toward an Infinite Reality which ultimately defies expression - except through Life itself.
- Metta Zetty