#4076 - Monday, November 15, 2010 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 15, 2010

      #4076 - Monday, November 15, 2010 - Editor: Gloria Lee

      The well known journalist, P.J. O'Rourke, made this rather nondual observation.

      He said: "The source of the word 'humorist' is one who regards human beings
      in terms of their humors — you know, whether they're sanguine or full of
      yellow bile, or whatever the four classical humors are. You stand back from
      people and regard them as types. And one finds, especially by the time one
      reaches one's fifties, that there are a limited number of types of people in
      the world, and you went to high school with every single one of them. You can
      visit the Eskimos, you can visit the Bushmen in the Kalahari, you can go to
      Israel, you can go to Egypt, but everybody you meet is going to be somebody
      you went to high school with."

      photo by Mazie Lane on Facebook

      Ego is a Habit

      In Buddhism there is a great respect for the power of self-centeredness to co-opt even
      the most magnanimous or sublime experience for its own self-aggrandizement. The idea of
      ego is not so much a thing as a habit of using whatever experience arises to solidify and
      prop up our feeling of a solid and separate identity. It is literally a form of ingesting
      experience to fatten our own self-absorption.

      The realm of spirituality is an especially seductive form of poisonous food. In the great
      spiritual traditions, there are yummy practices, exotic rituals, beautiful liturgies,
      profound texts. We can attend workshops galore, hang out with brilliant teachers, even
      become teachers ourselves. We can gather students and get V.I. P. treatment and at the
      same time still feel totally virtuous and not caught, like others, in trivial concerns. With
      each helping of this meal, we build up our feeling of being special, important, popular,
      compassionate, and profound. We can even become wealthy.

      As we build up our spiritual institutions, we can feed an even larger ego, a collective ego.
      We can turn the pure and nourishing food of genuine spirituality and practice into the
      poisonous food of power mongering, sectarianism, unthinking allegiance to dogma, and
      groupthink. We can create cozy cocoons and wallow in our smugness and superiority.

      Eating poisonous food feeds the ego and poisons our spiritual freshness and innocence.
      Instead of dissolving our estrangement from ourselves, each other, and the environment in
      which we live, eating such poisonous food hardens our differences and heightens our
      confusion. By eating poisonous food, instead of lessening our self-deception, we are
      fattening it up.
      - Judy Lief

      photo by Mazie Lane on Facebook

      "My broken-down hut leans against rocks. Why does my gate stay open all
      day.  People line up for government exams. No one sets foot on an ancient
      trail."
      ~ Stonehouse

      "I lie down in the clouds, no sign of the sky. Above high cliffs and wild
      streams. I wake on a cot, the moon in the window. The porridge done, the fire
      out. All  causes end without driving them off. Our nature's full, light shines by
      itself. Transparent as space it never changes."
      ~ Stonehouse

      Mark McCoskey on Facebook