#4069 - Monday, November 8, 2010 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 8, 2010

      #4069 - Monday, November 8, 2010 - Editor: Gloria Lee

      On Top

      By Gary Snyder
      (1930 - )

      All this new stuff goes on top
      turn it over, turn it over
      wait and water down
      from the dark bottom
      turn it inside out
      let it spread through
      Sift down even.
      Watch it sprout.

      A mind like compost.

      http://www.poetry-chaikhana.com/blog/

      Dear Rupert, Do you think spiritual energy helps in the path? I mean, I visit lot
      of spiritual places where we have Samadhi of famous saints in India. They are
      not in their body but somehow I feel strong vibrations in those places. Do you
      think this helps the seeker even though these great saints are not in their
      bodies? Even looking at their photographs, the body starts shaking.
      Regards,
      Tejansu

      Dear Tejansu,

      Any form - a building, an object, a piece of music, a painting or sculpture, or
      some words, written or spoken - that comes from this understanding will be
      imbued with it and the silence and love with which it was birthed will transmit
      itself to one who comes in contact with it.

      The same is true of a person with whom one may come in contact if this silence,
      love and understanding are alive and present in that person.

      This silence, love and understanding is transmitted by a sort of resonance, just
      as the A string of a violin will begin to resonate if the A string of a piano on the
      other side of the room is struck.

      In fact, this is how the teaching is communicated - the words are only the
      packaging - the silence, love and wordless understanding is its true content.

      This is the essence of a relationship with a teacher. As the sufi, Irene Tweedie,
      once said to a friend of mine, "Come and stay with me and I will infect you with
      my happiness!"

      So by all means keep the company of anyone and anything that evokes this
      silence, love and understanding in you, but do not mistake the object, person or
      place for the transparent jewel of your own being.

      In time all objects, places, people etc. announce this Presence first and foremost
      - everything sings 'I am here and I am you' - and then there is no more need to
      choose any longer.

      However, when this dawns we may still continue to go towards the same objects,
      places, people etc. but this time we go out of love and gratitude rather than need
      or lack.

      With love,

      Rupert