#4065 -Thursday, November 4, 2010 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 4, 2010

      #4065 -Thursday, November 4, 2010 - Editor: Gloria Lee

      Spiritual Bypassing

      John Welwood talks about spiritual bypassing, “using spiritual ideas or practices to avoid or prematurely transcend relative human needs, feelings, personal issues, and developmental tasks.” This bypassing manifests in what Welwood calls “advaita speak”, where “advaita” is the Sanskrit word for “nonduality”, a state ascribed to God, Brahman, or the Absolute alone. This superior state cannot be reached by reason or relativity.

      But if nonduality does not honor duality, it becomes sterile and disconnected. It becomes “a one-sided transcendentalism that uses nondual terms and ideas to bypass the challenging work of personal transformation. Advaita-speak can be very tricky, for it uses absolute truth to disparage relative truth, emptiness to devalue form, and oneness to belittle individuality”. In other words, it engenders escapism.

      –A.Holocek

      posted by Tom Adams on Facebook

      Looking for a sign? Look for beauty.

      When seeing the world is seeing

      beauty, that's it. Then, matter in
      all its forms exudes love. Rocks,

      and dry leaves, clouds, and dust seem

      sublime. To walk, to live inside a

      work of art is the end of the spiritual

      quest. Matter becomes spirit, and poetry

      needs no words.

      - Pete Sierra

      Winter

      In dark November I wait for the snow to bring some light, so here's a winter link.

      Some years ago I found a spot in the forest where the trees were shining covered in snow crystals.

      And when I looked at the crystals on the ground they had the shape of trees.

      High up in the sky are some polar clouds made of ice crystals too.

      Dreaming the Dream

      I’ve walked about
      until I dreamed this dream
      in the crystalline perfection of a snowflake,
      and I
      found You in the winter of myself,
      gazing into Your eyes
      a deep well of infinity
      I remembered, we have been here
      before
      and we will come again.

      Your tongue will touch my heart with
      words that slice through the skin of
      separation and I will fall in love with You
      again and again
      as if we strangers
      from another world, casting
      an anchor to the seven seas of breath.

      - Anna Ruiz.

      http://www.ferryfee.com/bluesky/Dreaming_the_dream.htm

      photos by Alan Larus

      The Debacle

      On the road with Thich Nhat Hanh in the early 1980s.

      Andrew Cooper