#4053 - Saturday, October 23, 2010

  • markwotter704
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 24, 2010

      Nonduality Highlights: Issue #4053, Saturday, October 23, 2010

      Courage

      It is in the small things we see it.
      The child's first step,
      as awesome as an earthquake.
      The first time you rode a bike,
      wallowing up the sidewalk.
      The first spanking when your heart
      went on a journey all alone.
      When they called you crybaby
      or poor or fatty or crazy
      and made you into an alien,
      you drank their acid
      and concealed it.

      Later,
      if you faced the death of bombs and bullets
      you did not do it with a banner,
      you did it with only a hat to
      cover your heart.
      You did not fondle the weakness inside you
      though it was there.
      Your courage was a small coal
      that you kept swallowing.
      If your buddy saved you
      and died himself in so doing,
      then his courage was not courage,
      it was love; love as simple as shaving soap.

      Later,
      if you have endured a great despair,
      then you did it alone,
      getting a transfusion from the fire,
      picking the scabs off your heart,
      then wringing it out like a sock.
      Next, my kinsman, you powdered your sorrow,
      you gave it a back rub
      and then you covered it with a blanket
      and after it had slept a while
      it woke to the wings of the roses
      and was transformed.

      Later,
      when you face old age and its natural conclusion
      your courage will still be shown in the little ways,
      each spring will be a sword you'll sharpen,
      those you love will live in a fever of love
      , and you'll bargain with the calendar
      and at the last moment
      when death opens the back door
      you'll put on your carpet slippers
      and stride out.

      - Anne Sexton, from The Awful Rowing Toward God, posted to The_Now2

      There are many ideas that intoxicate man; many feelings act upon the soul as
      wine; but there is no stronger wine than selflessness.

      Very often people think that sorrow or pain is the sign of spirituality. Yes, in
      many cases sorrow or pain becomes a process that leads to attaining spirituality
      quickly, but for that one need not
      afflict oneself with sorrow or pain, for life has enough sorrow or pain.

      As fire can cook food or burn it, so also does pain affect the human heart.

      - from the teachings of Hazrat Inayat Khan, selected & arranged by Hazrat Pir Vilayat Inayat Khan, posted to allspirit

      The role of destiny unfolds itself and actualizes the inevitable. You cannot change the course of events, but you can change your attitude and what really matters is the attitude and not the bare event.

      Which of them is the fairest?

      A beloved said to her lover,
      "O youth, you've visited many cities,
      which of them is the fairest?"
      He replied, "The city where my sweetheart is."
      Wherever the carpet is spread for our King,
      there is the spacious plain,
      even though it be as narrow as the eye of a needle.
      Wherever a Joseph radiant as the moon may be,
      Paradise is there, even though it be the bottom of a well.

      - Rumi, Mathnawi III: 3808-3811, version by Camille and Kabir Helminski,from Rumi: Jewels of Remembrance, posted to Sunlight

      This is how a human being can change:
      There's a worm addicted to eating grape leaves.
      SUDDENLY, he wakes up...
      Call it grace, whatever,
      something wakes him,
      and he's no longer a worm.
      He's the eintire vineyard,
      And the orchard too,
      The fruit, the trunks, a
      Growing wisdom and joy
      That doesn't need to devour.

      - Rumi, from The Illuminated Rumi, posted to DailyDharma