#4051 -Thursday, October 21, 2010 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 21, 2010

      #4051 -Thursday, October 21, 2010 - Editor: Gloria Lee

      "Life passes like a flash of lightning
      Whose blaze lasts barely long enough to see,
      While earth and sky stand still forever.

      How swiftly changing time flies across our face.
      You who sit over your full cup and do not drink,
      For what are you waiting?"
      - Li Po

      From the book: "The New Social Face of Buddhism," published by Wisdom Books
      posted to Daily Dharma by Dainen Kelley

      Accept Everything

      A well-known Japanese Rinzai Zen master dropped by Sokoji to meet Suzuki
      Roshi. After they chanted a sutra together, the visiting priest asked to see a
      sutra book on the altar. He looked at it, then suddenly exploded, stamping his
      foot on the floor and shouting, ''This is not Zen!" He tore the book in two and
      threw it on the floor.

      Suzuki squatted down and picked up the pieces.

      "Oh, this sutra book was  donated to the temple when there was a memorial
      service for an old woman  from a different sect," he said. "We accept
      everything here. We chant  everything. We eat everything." For a moment the
      guest still looked angry,  then Suzuki said, "let's go have some tea." A
      friendship began that continued  as long as they were both alive.

      Suzuki Roshi, "Zen Is Right Here"

      "From beginning-less time until now, all beings have mistaken themselves for
      phenomena and, having lost sight of their original mind, are influenced by
      phenomena, and end up having the scope of their observations defined by
      boundaries large and small."

      - Surangama Sutra, Gautama Buddha

      From the website: www.heartspace.org
      posted to Daily Dharma by Dainen Kelley

       Be Your "Self"

      The self is not a fixed, permanent thing, but an ongoing narrative process. It’s
      dynamic, it’s interactive, it’s engaged in moral choices, it has goals, it has
      aspirations, and it is also what allows us to function as a society, as a plurality
      of stories, selves that interact and share experiences, learning from and
      teaching one another. “Selfing” is simply the evolutionary strategy that human
      beings, probably for biological and adaptive reasons, have been landed with.
      There’s nothing deluded or neurotic about being a self in that way. It’s
      actually a very liberating perspective on the nature of the individual.

      Stephen Batchelor, "At the Crossroads"

      You can't turn either towards Consciousness
      or away from Consciousness.

      In fact, "you" can't even "turn" at all because
      your life is really only a melodramatic story that
      Consciousness has been telling Itself.

      And your only choice is whether or not you want
      to believe in the validity of your story.

      As usual, the ego wants to proudly say, "That's
      my story and I'm sticking to it."

      Actually, since you and your story arise
      simultaneously, your story is also sticking to
      you!

      Without the historical framework of your time-
      based story, though, "you" are really "no-thing."

      Actually, being "no-thing" might not be such a
      bad idea.

                              - Chuck Hillig

      posted to Along The Way

      What Can I Say

      What can I say that I have not said before?
      So I'll say it again.
      The leaf has a song in it.
      Stone is the face of patience.
      Inside the river there is an unfinishable story
      and you are somewhere in it
      and it will never end until all ends.

      Take your busy heart to the art museum and the
      chamber of commerce
      but take it also to the forest.
      The song you heard singing in the leaf when you
      were a child
      is singing still.
      I am of years lived, so far, seventy-four,
      and the leaf is singing still.

      ~ Mary Oliver ~

      (Swan)

      Web archive of Panhala postings: www.panhala.net/Archive/Index.html