#4031 - Saturday, October 2, 2010

  • markwotter704
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 2, 2010

      Nonduality Highlights: Issue #4031, Saturday, October 2, 2010

      You've traveled up ten thousand steps in search of the Dharma.
      So many long days in the archives, copying, copying.

      The gravity of the Tang and the profundity of the Sung
      make heavy baggage.

      Here! I've picked you a bunch of wildflowers.
      Their meaning is the same
      but they're much easier to carry.

      - Xu Yun, posted to DailyDharma

      Once I said to God, "How do you teach us?"

      And he replied

      "If
      you were
      playing chess with someone who
      had infinite power and infinite knowledge
      and wanted to make you a
      master of the game,

      where would all the chess
      pieces be at
      every moment?

      Indeed, not only where he wanted them,
      but where all were best for your
      development;

      and that is every situation
      of one's
      life.

      - St. John of the Cross, posted to The_Now2

      All the powers in the universe are already ours. It is we who have put our hands before our eyes and cry that it is dark. Know that there is no darkness around us. Take the hands away and there is the light, which was from the beginning. Darkness never existed, weakness never existed. We who are fools cry that we are weak; we who are fools cry that we are impure. Thus Vedanta not only insists that the ideal is practical, but that it has been so all the time, and this ideal, this Reality is our own nature.

      - Swami Vivekananda, posted to AlongTheWay

      Indeed only that cid-akasha (the infinite consciousness), which alone exists even after the cosmic dissolution, exists even now, utterly devoid of objectivity. The concepts and notions that are illumined by the consciousness within itself shine as this creation, on account of the movement of energy within consciousness, precisely as dreams arise during sleep. Otherwise, it is totally impossible for an object of perception to exist outside of the omnipresent infinite consciousness.

      Even as the duality experienced in dream is illusory, the duality implied in the creation of the world is illusory. Even as the objects seem to exist and function in the inner world of consciousness in a dream, objects seem to exist and function in the outer world of consciousness during the wakeful state. Nothing really happens in both these states. Even as consciousness alone is the reality in the dream state, consciousness alone is the substance in the wakeful state too. That is the Lord, that is the supreme truth, that you are, that I am and that is all.

      - from Selected Verses From Valmiki's Yoga Vasishtha, from a translation by Swami Venkateshananda, edited by Dennis B. Hill

      Learn to live without self-concern. For this you must know your own true being (swarupa) as indomitable, fearless, ever victorious. Once you know with absolute certainty that nothing can trouble you but your own imagination, you come to disregard your desires and fears, concepts and ideas and live by truth alone.

      Sakka asked: "What is the cause of self-interest?"
      The Buddha answered: "It is perception of the world as one's object."
      "How does one overcome this perception of the world as apart from oneself?"
      "By acting for the increase of goodness and happiness. It is in this
      way that the world ceases to be one's object."

      - from the Digha Nikaya, (Collection of Long Discourses), posted to Distillation