#4028 - Wednesday, September 29, 2010

  • markwotter704
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 30, 2010

      Nonduality Highlights: Issue #4028, Wednesday, September 29, 2010

      Editor's note... Glo asked me to put this in the Tuesday HL, but I forgot. I apologize to you, the reader, and to Glo...

      Sorry, the Facebook photo album is apparently not open to non-members.
      Most of the images of Japanese Gardens were by William Corey.
      So those and many more can be seen on his main website.

      http://www.williamcorey.com/

      http://www.williamcorey.com/japanese-garden-photography-portfolio/index.\html

      Question: From the standpoint of Consciousness, it would seem that enlightenment is a myth and so the search can end - nothing to do and no one to do anything. I get this intellectually but the seeking goes on and despair and frustration are the only outcomes...

      Peter: This is a good point, something "each of us" seems to face at one time or another.

      It sounds as if there is an identification with thoughts about Awareness, rather than identifying as, or simply being, Pure Awareness Itself. It also sounds as if "you" have done a lot of sincere studying and hard work on this.

      Now it's time to "rest" and enjoy. Why?

      Who alone is aware right there as You? Awareness or Self Itself is the only One being aware, conscious. It already is "at" Itself; It already is fully being Itself (and there is no other) so the "work" already is "done." Any continued attempt is actually futile. It sounds as if this is clear, too - no becoming and no other to become.

      Let's call this already-present Awareness the New You, or Real You - which, again, is the Presence of Awareness Itself - and which NEVER fails to be present, to perfectly be what It is, and does not require any "work" to be present.

      The New You is effortless. And this is your new homework assignment, given to You by Your Self: Make no effort at all. That means no more thinking about Awareness, no more thinking about enlightenment - because after all, New You (Pure Awareness) doesn't think. Stop reading. Stop looking on the computer for awhile. Stop trying.

      - Peter Dzubian

      However, in the absence of the experience of our true nature, there is this danger of the sense of self simply landing on a new belief in no self. The sense of self moves from a limited and painful identification with the mind's idea of who you are to a more open and freeing idea of emptiness and non-existence. While this may be a relief, it can eventually be just as limiting as the original ego identification. When our sense of self has identified with nothingness, emptiness, or no self, we can become stuck there. This is often reflected in a kind of defensiveness of this new identification: Anytime you are challenged, you deflect the criticism or conflict by retreating more fully into the idea of no self. Or you turn the tables on those challenging you and try to convince them that they don't exist, therefore their concerns aren't valid. This new identification with no self can feel flat, dry, and detached. Life feels like it has no meaning or value. So what was once a helpful and freeing dissolving of limiting structures has become a new fossilized and limiting identity.

      - Nirmala, from That is That

      88.

      Ram Tzu knows this. . .

      You have tasted ecstasy
      Drunk deeply of its nectar.

      So you embrace it
      Or reject it.

      What does it matter?

      Addict or ascetic
      You are caught in the web
      Of your own ego.

      The harder you struggle
      The more surely you call the spider.

      - Ram Tzu (aka Wayne Liquorman), from No Way For the Spiritually "Advanced"

      The gift we have been given is the one called possibility, whose intent offers to tie all together, creating strands of a whole life rather than a disintegrated one. The gift we have been granted is what throws light into dark places. The gift held out to us has always been present. But accepting the gift has a price - courage. It is an undying courage that allows any of us to whip the dream horse and startle awakening.

      - Carla Woody, from Standing Stark: The Willingness to Engage

      All compromise is based on give and take, but there can be no give and take on fundamentals. Any compromise on mere fundamentals is a surrender. For it is all give and no take.

      - Mohandas Gandhi

      When we know love matters more than anything, and we know that nothing else REALLY matters, we move into the state of surrender. Surrender does not diminish our power, it enhances it.

      -Sara Paddison

      Editor's note #2: "So..."