#4012 - Monday, September 13, 2010 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 14, 2010

      #4012 - Monday, September 13, 2010 - Editor: Gloria Lee

      You are the sky. Everything else, it's just the weather."
      - Pema Chodron

      “You can measure the depth of a person’s awakening by how they serve others”
      - Kobo Daishi (774–835 CE)

      The end and the sum total of all mysticism,
      philosophy, and meditation, of everything one
      learns and develops, is to be a better servant
      to humanity.  Everything from the beginning to
      the end in the spiritual path is a training to be
      able to serve mankind better, and if one does
      not do it with that intention, one will find in the
      end that one has accomplished nothing.

            - Hazrat Inayat Khan

      posted to Along The Way

      "Compassionate action starts with seeing yourself when you start to make yourself right and when you start to make yourself wrong. At that point you could just contemplate the fact that there is a larger alternative to either of those, a more tender, shaky kind of place where you could live."
      - Pema Chodron

      by Mazie Lane

      Gratitude, the simple and profound feeling of being thankful, is the foundation of all generosity. I am generous when I believe that right now, right here, in this form and this place, I am myself being given what I need. Generosity requires that we relinquish something, and this is impossible if we are not glad for what we have. Otherwise the giving hand closes into a fist and won’t let go.
      - Sallie Jiko Tisdale, "As If There is Nothing to Lose"

      When you are practicing generosity, you should feel a little pinch when you give something away. That pinch is your stinginess protesting. If you give away your old, worn-out coat that you wouldn’t be caught dead wearing, that is not generosity. There is no pinch. You are doing nothing to overcome your stinginess; you’re just cleaning out your closet and calling it something else. Giving away your coat might keep someone warm, but it does not address the problem we face as spiritual practitioners: to free ourselves from self-cherishing and self-grasping.
      - Gelek Rinpoche

      ‘Generosity is revolutionary, counter-instinctual. Our survival instinct is to care only for ourselves and our loved ones. But we can transform our relationship to that survival instinct by constantly asking ourselves, “How can I use my life’s energy to benefit all living beings?”
      - Noah Levine

      "Wherever you are is the entry point"
      - Kabir

      With gratitude and congratulations to Joe Riley on the 8 year anniversary of his Panhala poetry list.

      This Amazing Day -- e. e. cummings (This was the first posting to Panhala ... )

      i thank You God for most this amazing
      day:for the leaping greenly spirits of trees
      and a blue true dream of sky;and for everything
      which is natural which is infinite which is yes

      (i who have died am alive again today,
      and this is the sun's birthday;this is the birth
      day of life and love and wings:and of the gay
      great happening illimitably earth)

      how should tasting touching hearing seeing
      breathing any-lifted from the no
      of all nothing-human merely being
      doubt unimaginable You?

      (now the ears of my ears awake and