#4003 - Saturday, September 4, 2010

  • markwotter704
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 4 11:05 AM

      Nonduality Highlights: Issue #4003, Saturday, September 4, 2010

      Liberation from All Obstructions

      In the presence of Sangha, in the light of Dharma, in oneness with Buddha -
      may my path to complete enlightenment benefit everyone!

      In this passing moment karma ripens and all things come to be.
      I vow to affirm what is:
      If there's cost, I choose to pay.
      If there's need, I choose to give.
      If there's pain, I choose to feel.
      If there's sorrow, I choose to grieve.
      When burning, I choose heat.
      When calm, I choose peace.
      When starving, I choose hunger.
      When happy, I choose joy.
      Whom I encounter, I choose to meet.
      What I shoulder, I choose to bear.
      When it's my birth, I choose to live.
      When it's my death, I choose to die.
      Where this takes me, I choose to go.
      Being with what is, I respond to what is.

      This life is as real as a dream; the one who knows it can not be found;
      and truth is not a thing, therefore I vow to choose THIS Dharma
      entrance gate! May all Buddhas and Wise Ones help me live this vow.

      - Shodo Harada, Roshi, from Great Vow Zen Monastery Chantbook, posted to DailyDharma

      "Wherever you are, be there totally. If you find your here and now intolerable and it makes you unhappy, you have three options: remove yourself from the situation, change it, or accept it totally"  - Tolle

      Acceptance is hard.

      The mind thinks acceptance is defeat, resignation, stoic tolerance. The mind thinks acceptance is locking in a reality it doesn't like. The mind thinks acceptance is giving up hope.

      It's actually just the opposite. Change happens only after complete acceptance.

      We believe that time heals. Time does not heal. Acceptance heals, but acceptance is a delicate thing. It's not a resignation. It is not a forced accptance that says I don't like accepting but I will because that's what I should do. It is a complete acceptance of what is, without grasping or running away from the present. And then, miraculously, life knows what to do.

      Look at the moment-to-moment grasping that the mind does. Look at it with Awareness. Be completely still, and fall back into the Now, and you will see that even in this stillness, there is the jumpiness of grasping. We are in a constant process of becoming. Can we release this movement, this becoming, this `shoulding' and just be, right here, right now?

      This is Acceptance.

      Acceptance is internalizing the rightness of here and now. Acceptance is a loving allowing.

      "Stop all delays, all seeking and all striving. Put down your concepts, ideas and beliefs. For one instant be still and directly encounter the silent unknown core of your being. In that instant Freedom will embrace you and reveal the Awakening that you are." - Adyashanti

      You read something like this, and you will nod your head and say, yes, this makes sense. I will accept what is. The next time something "bad" happens, guess what? It will be hard for you to accept, perhaps even harder than before because your attention is on trying to accept. But the time after that, it will be a little easier. And again, it will be easier. It keeps getting progressively easier.

      If you have a hard time with acceptance, or don't quite understand it, don't worry about it. It develops naturally with deepening Awareness and Release.

      - Kaushik Chokshi, from Awakening is Simple

      Satisfaction Beyond Circumstance

      There is, within each of us,
      a level of Satisfaction
      which exists beyond all circumstance.

      Discover THIS, and you will experience
      the peace that passes all understanding.

      - Metta Zetty

      The dream self is created from identification with objects that arise. For example, you might think, "I am angry," or "It's a dreadful day." But look more closely. If you can see a thought, is that thought you? If you can see an emotion, is it you? You are the seer, not the objects seen. That which is seen is an object that arises and falls -- a temporary form. You are that which is looking at those objects as they arise and fall.

      Even the notion that there is a seer as a separate identity is an object (an idea) in awareness. In looking inward, there is no separate entity there. There is only awareness recognizing awareness. Awareness is not an object. Your true identity is pure seeing itself. This can be fearful if there is a desire to hold onto some identity. But it is absolutely liberating if you see that even that fear is an object in awareness.

      Suffering happens when you believe that you are your thoughts and emotions. In reality, you are not angry. Anger is arising. It's not actually a dreadful day. The thought, "It's a dreadful day" is arising in awareness. This is not about denying or suppressing thought and emotion. It is about seeing them for what they really are.

      - Scott Kiloby, from Reflections of the One Life, posted to SufiMystic

      The Guest House

      This being human is a guest house.
      Every morning a new arrival.

      A joy, a depression, a meanness,
      some momentary awareness comes
      as an unexpected visitor.

      Welcome and entertain them all!
      Even if they're a crowd of sorrows,
      who violently sweep your house
      empty of its furniture,
      still, treat each guest honorably.
      He may be clearing you out
      for some new delight.

      The dark thought, the shame, the malice,
      meet them at the door laughing,
      and invite them in.

      Be grateful for whoever comes,
      because each has been sent
      as a guide from beyond.

      - Rumi, version by Coleman Barks, from The Essential Rumi

      Jeannie Zandi- Everything Is Welcome Here:

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piC6wGdQ7eE&feature=related

      Pamela Wilson Satsang (excerpt), Berkeley, CA, 9/24/08:

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkMEJVud5S0&feature=related