From here and there...

  • Melody
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 4, 1999
      Hi everyone...

      From time to time I will be including
      digests of current postings from lists other
      than the NondualitySalon.

      I will call it "From here and there" in
      the subject line to distinguish it from
      a NDS digesting

      In addition, I will occassionally offer
      up some gems of the past from the NDS.
      The subject line on those digests will
      say, "Gems from the NDS archives".

      Hope you enjoy this one.

      By the way... I have really appreciated
      your comments and suggestions. Thank you
      for taking the time to offer them. If
      anyone knows of a list offering a nondual
      flavor, that is not being digested here...
      please feel free to advise me of it.

      Now, on with the show......

      From HarshaSatsangh list
      Digest dated 6-2-99 08:29 AM

      A student asked a Zen Master, "Where does an enlightened master go after he
      dies? Is he reborn or is he freed from the earth?"

      The Zen Master answered "Which direction does a fire go after it is
      to the North or to the South?"

      Dan M.

      Also from HarshaSatsangh
      same day....

      Jan wrote:

      To know Being is to temporarily disable all identification; what "remains"
      is called "enlightenment".

      To know Being isn't an experience; what isn't an experience cannot be
      described or explained. So analogies are used to
      "intuit" and this works because Being can be recognized; recognition is
      eased by the analogies.

      From the Dzogchen list:
      June 1, l999
      From: Hannah Lloyd

      "It is said in the Great Perfection teachings that one cannot
      become enlightened through a contrived mind; rather, the
      basic mind is to be identified, in relation to which all
      phenomena are to be understood as the sport of the mind."

      H.H. The Dalai Lama
      November 23, 1990

      From Harshasatsangh list:

      In a message dated 5/31/99 4:34:08 PM:

      Sometimes it seems we are players on a stage who started believing that we
      actually were the characters we portrayed. ..we forgot the origin, the
      real.... Frankly I've begun to tire of the stage and the character. I take it
      off in moments and dip into the splendor of ISness. AAAhhhh, the masks
      melt...veils part...

      From Allspirit list:

      Date: 31 May 1999 20:24:44 -0000
      From: bluerabbit@...

      I thought I'd introduce myself with one of my own poems, the title piece
      from my book, Early Tigers (Bellowing Ark Press, 1995)

      Space is eating us.
      I noticed it last night
      before dinner. Only
      a month ago
      afternoon lingered forever.
      Night has become an early tiger
      waiting with cold teeth,
      even in California heat.
      Once I would have been frightened,
      as uncertain when the sun stalled
      as any Druid, but now I see
      on walls and streets and sky,
      another kind of equinox.
      Space is eating us:
      In its awesome gullet
      we shine.

      Look forward to meeting you all.
      Linda Armstrong

      From the IAM list
      Sunday, May 30, 1999
      Subject: [iam] A scrawl... on the beach.

      The wisdom of Sophia... seems insane,
      until... an In-sight of Oneness we gain.
      Of the In-sights we 'see'... we cannot speak,
      until... we're fear free... and no longer 'seek'.

      ( /\ ) Namaste,

      From Allspirit@onelist.com:

      Date: Thu, 3 Jun 1999 11:05:15 +0100
      From: "Gillian Eardley"
      Subject: I was ready to tell...

      the story of my life
      but the ripple of tears
      and the agony of my heart
      wouldn't let me

      i began to stutter
      saying a word here and there
      and all along i felt
      as tender as a crystal
      ready to be shattered

      in this stormy sea
      we call life
      all the big ships
      come apart
      board by board

      how can i survive
      riding a lonely
      little boat
      with no oars
      and no arms

      my boat did finally break
      by the waves
      and i broke free
      as i tied myself
      to a single board

      though the panic is gone
      i am now offended
      why should i be so helpless
      rising with one wave
      and falling with the next

      i don't know
      if i am
      while i exist
      but i know for sure
      when i am
      i am not
      when i am not
      then i am

      now how can i be
      a skeptic
      about the
      resurrection and
      coming to life again

      since in this world
      i have many times
      like my own imagination
      died and
      been born again

      that is why
      after a long agonizing life
      as a hunter
      i finally let go and got
      hunted down and became free

      ~Rumi, ghazal number 1419,
      translated April 17, 1991,
      by Nader Khalili

      Also posted to Allspirit List,
      same day....

      Date: 3 Jun 1999 15:34:07 -0000
      From: willx@xxxxxxxxx
      Subject: Original Work

      Song for the Moon

      The tall tree reaches up
      to caress the pale face;
      under this light
      its limbs dance so subtly

      The tree and moon
      cannot help but renew each other
      both wanting so to touch the Other

      I, in line with the tree and moon,
      allow all heights to be reached,
      touching all,
      loving all to be had
      in a fleeting moment

      I must capture the movement
      of the moment
      so I can remember I did not breathe
      as the tree, moon and I
      turned the universe
      but was breathed by the tree
      as a song for the moon

      Posted to: nondual-contrib@egroups.com
      Friday, June 4, 1999
      by Jerry Katz:

      In an earlier post it was mentioned that a person
      attains equanimity in different ways. One is through strict physical and
      mental control. Or a person can
      gain equanimity through witnessing of reactions they
      are experiencing. Or through surrender to the Guru.
      There are many ways. I guess it was Patanjali who put
      them all together into a lucid Raja Yoga.

      But what a person has to be clear about is that when
      there is control of feelings and senses, then it is
      only the beginning. Then a person is able to go out and experience more
      life and more opportunities to prove
      that control and to become very intimate with what that control really is.
      A person can come to witness the formation of tensions and know their
      origin. And it will be found that their origin is in thoughts. And
      then one can go deeper and deeper. Until nondual reality is met. At that
      point another kind of beginning is encountered. And on
      it goes!