Wednesday, July 5

  • umbada@ns.sympatico.ca
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 6, 2000
      As it rises so it falls.
      Make effort and it rises.
      Stop effort and it falls.
      Make the choice!

      Stay as simple natural Being
      without thought or doership.
      Out of Nothing you can do anything
      and not leave footprints.
      No intention is no limitation.
      Just stay Quiet.
      Simply do not stir a thought.

      Not activating the mind is to not externalize.
      There is no way or method,
      just keep out of the way.
      The revelation of the Self will occur
      only when you do not interfere.
      Keeping Quiet is giving time to this Love and Beauty.
      Stay as Such.

      --Papaji

      Waves

      Waves arise and fall back into the ocean
      I tried to grasp the highest wave, but the water was too wet
      to hold.
      Waves arise and fall back into the ocean
      I tried to ride the biggest wave, but the water was soft,
      and so I sank.

      Waves arise and fall back into the ocean
      I tried to be the tallest wave, but the wind pushed me over.
      Waves arise and fall back into the ocean
      Neither large nor small, I arise and fall back into God.
      Arise and fall,
      Arise and fall,
      Arise and fall.

      Here's a shorter one that's more to the point:

      Does the wave fear the water from which it rises?
      Then why do you fear love?

      --Mark Otter

      JAN KOEHOORN

      I once heard a story about God. After creating the world he
      was very tired, as you can imagine. He said to himself:
      "Where shall I hide, now that I'm done creating?" This was
      a big problem for him. Suddenly it came to him, and a big
      smile appeared on his face. "I know what to do!" he
      shouted. "I'll hide inside the people, they will never look
      for me there!"

      MARK OTTER

      I just watched a fascinating show on PBS - Oliver Sachs,
      darn, I didn't catch the name of the show or the condition
      that it was about. (pay attention much? - my excuse was I
      was studying for a final exam in psychology tomorrow night,
      but the truth is I was playing elist poster and reader...
      damned addiction if you ask me. no offense meant) Anyway,
      it was about a genetic condition in which people are born
      deaf, and lose their sight over the course of about 30
      years, ending up both blind and deaf. Oliver asked one
      woman if she could have her sight back would she want it?
      Oh yes, she replied, absolutely. Would she want to become
      hearing? "No, certainly not." A young man, not yet blind,
      but becoming so said the same thing. Wow. They both said
      that they "were" deaf (part of their identity, and strongly
      defended), but that in essence, they suffered from
      blindness (well, they were both very positive about the
      loss of sight, and willing to live their lives to the
      fullest... cool people!) Anyway, I had an epiphany watching
      this. This is how we are. We define ourselves by that which
      we have experienced and therefore feel safe with and deny
      and refuse anything outside that. (well, that's too strong,
      because we are willing to grow, but mainly on our own
      terms, defined by comfort level...)

      I say yes! I want it all. I'm willing to not be, in order
      to for it all... words fail me, but I'm sure you know what
      I mean. Perhaps if I could say it in American Sign
      Language, it would be more clear. I think I mean that
      surrendering the limitation is worth experiencing all the
      possibilities. (but I'm still testing this hypothesis...
      anybody have a complete picture you want to share
      (again...))?

      JUDI RHODES

      Great analogy Mark. I've always said that, you can't know
      what you're missing unless you've tasted it. That's what
      makes and drives a seeker and gives them the courage to
      turn against themselves and go within, cause they really
      know that there's more, not just a good idea from reading
      books and listening to others tell about it. How many
      people out of the masses are interested in spirituality,
      not many. And how many of those have what it takes to put
      anything on the line. Not many. Now I'm depressed. What a
      world.

      JERRY KATZ

      I think that what goes on at NDS is a high level of
      'nondual professionalism' ALONG WITH the very private,
      seemingly inappropriate humor, silliness and other activity
      that normally would reside within an inner sanctum of this
      community, if it existed, and one might say it exists
      wherever two or members of the group come together.

      My attitude is to not try to keep the backroom out of the
      front room. The backroom or inner sanctum exists in many
      forms. While there's no reason pretending it doesn't exist,
      there's no reason to go on and on with dark or light humor
      or inappropriate or dumb stuff. It's just that there's also
      no reason to deny it or to take measures to keep it out.
      It's a part of our culture. It gives us our unique flavor.

      Now, if you were to join something like I AM list, which
      was the original NDS, you would find, implicitly, that
      backroom behavior is not appropriate and is not part of the
      culture there, at all. In the last several weeks, I AM has
      had mild activity, but steady and high level. I AM is NDS
      with a dress code.

      JERRY AND DAVE ON STAYS IN THE HOSPITAL

      JERRY:Dave and I were talking about how a hospital stay can
      open one to the nondual perspective. I found it valuable to
      face with greatest possible awareness an exteme of human
      pain, and then a few days in a hospital with nothing to
      stare at but the beige curtain drawn before my bed.

      DAVE:Intense contrast, an excellent enlightener. But even
      for those that are "there", or have "been there" for a long
      time, a subtler sense exists.

      For the average person, they're just happy that "the pain
      is gone", I mean I've been there, I go there every time I'm
      getting over something, but at the same time, one can see
      that maybe the beige curtain isn't all that different...

      JERRY: (Oh, it wasn't that bad. There were visitors and
      other people in the room. It was my choice to draw the
      curtain. And, besides, my ordeal was never life
      threatening.)

      These last two nights at home I miss that beige curtain. I
      have to draw another kind of curtain, and it is harder to
      draw. However, I have know it all my life. I have intuited
      it and been familiar with it for a long, long time. It is
      never fully open anyway. Everything is touched by that
      beige.

      DAVE: Maybe my hardest times where when I got home, strange
      effects of anti-biotics, anti-inflamitories and post-op
      shock etc. The old body and mind pulling at all the
      curtains it could find.

      It's not pain, it's not the beige curtain, it's
      disorientation, fear, and the worst, doubt! Maybe doubt is
      a combination of this disorientation and fear. Being all
      clogged up, it's hard to "see". It's like driving on the
      freeway and the hood pops up. You have to go on memory, on
      instinct!

      JERRY: But pain opens that curtain. It's red and not beige.
      I tried to pull the curtain closed anyway. I took the
      challenge to draw the curtain. I thanked God for the pain;
      I laughed at myself in the mirror on the way to the
      Emergency Room; I asked myself if the pain was 'me' and it
      wasn't but it hurt anyway!

      DAVE: I'm not sure why this is so distinct, but it is. It's
      certain that pain draws a definite curtain, but, as you
      say, it is red, you can't miss it. It does challenge more
      obviously. It's like a door, that you kick open, and it
      slam bangs open, and there it is... open. But it's open.

      JERRY: And then the operation was over and there was
      nothing but beige curtain. Original nature. And it was what
      was. It is what is. And through gratitude and inquiry in
      the midst of pain (which lasted several hours and was
      greater than kidney stone pain), I saw to it that the
      curtain was always, always in sight.

      DAVE: The beige curtain gives us the time to realize that
      it's all one and the same. For those who have been blessed
      with the whisper. I don't ask for beauty over pain, nor
      deny pain over beauty. I thank God for the whisper.

      JERRY: I know that what I've said is not scriptural in the
      sense that there is only the Self, but I'm a guy not a
      scripture.

      DAVE: This post can only be such. The whisper is what makes
      it different. Like swirls of pixie dust in Walt Disney
      movies, the whisper touches the listeners souls, wakes
      their spirit to the Oneness of Self. We see it, thank God,
      and for those that don't, the pain will someday, go away.

      JERRY: Also, Dave, I've looked at the website on the Amazon
      tour. I would love to be a part of it, though it seems
      expensive. Also, I'd want to see if we could get about ten
      people together. Let's keep the options open.

      DAVE: I figure that there's still good time, so combining
      10 people or so and looking at other unbeknownst options,
      who knows what could happen. I'm looking at something
      personally that could generate "unforseen" capital...
      speculative for the moment, but I'd be happy to throw it in
      the pot if it materializes. The Amazon Tour is a
      "powerhouse"! I'd bet that "gravity" is effected there. :-)

      Here's the link for those that missed it.

      http://www.amazon-lodge.com

      In the mean time, I'll be doing my research on "alternate
      power spots", just in case.

      OH

      Hello all dears:

      Will be leaving again in a few days, so wanted to
      contribute something before i left. Somebody is making up a
      page, How Old Hag Came to the Dharma and a paragraph in it
      tells about the Three Answers, so thought to share that for
      those who don't know - and perhaps don't care ,^)) - how
      they came about.

      ~~~~

      One evening, Neem Karoli Baba came to call. He gave me one
      of his famous bear hugs....ummmm, so delicious! Was all
      snuggled up in his arms, but knew i had only a few moments
      with him, so quickly began to ask some questions. Was
      considering moving to California, so asked him, "Where
      should i go?" And he said, "Go anywhere!"

      Was thinking of quitting my job, so rushed on, "Well, what
      should i do?" And he answered, "Do nothing!"

      Thought i would get some advice about my love life, so
      asked, "Who should i love, Rob or Fred?" And he answered,
      "Love Everybody!"

      So i call this, The Three Answers:

      "Go Anywhere! Do Nothing! Love Everybody!"

      SHANKAR (from I AM list)

      Bolting the latch in one room, forgetting the body, the
      Lord (Sri Ramana) abided in Silence- O, Parrot!-He was
      beyond words and thought.

      Translation of verse 20 in the 'Parrot-Eyed (Narration of
      the) Life of Sri Ramana by Sri Sadhu Om Swamigal.

      Striking and breaking (the latch), the members of the
      household, entered the room (in which Sri Ramana was
      abiding in Silence), and even after hitting (His) body
      hard, (He) did not 'rise up'- O, Parrot!-(He was a)
      complete Yogi.

      Translation of verse 21 of the 'Parrot-Eyed (Narration of
      the) Life of Sri Ramana' by Sri Sadhu Om Swamigal

      LYNNE ASKED

      Could you explain to me your understanding of the meaning
      of this passage (and give a bit of context)? I would be
      grateful.

      SHANKAR RESPONDED

      Verses 20 and 21 of the said text have to be read together,
      to gather the context.

      Actually, this relates to an episode in the Life of Sri
      Bhagawan. When He was still a boy, once his parents and
      brothers had gone out, leaving Him at home. He locked the
      outside gate, and went into His room, and bolted it from
      inside and went to sleep.

      When His parents returned from outside, they kept knocking
      at the gate for a long time. Then, they broke open the gate
      and went inside the house. Then, they were knocking at His
      room door for a long time. Since He did not come out even
      after their knocking at His room door for a long time, they
      became scared and broke open the room door also.

      Then, they found Him 'sleeping' very deeply. It was after
      some hours of repeated attempts at waking Him up, that He
      awoke.

      This 'deep sleep' was the only abnormal thing about Him.

      As you know, the final state of realisation is described by
      Bhagawan Sri Ramana Maharshi, as 'Waking-Sleep' or in
      sanskrit as 'Jagrat-Sushupti'. Shankar,

      LARRY BIDDENGER

      I've been reading Stanley Sobottka's "A Course In
      Consciousness", http://faculty.virginia.edu/consciousness/
      Very refreshing, I skipped the physics and went straight to
      the third part. This sheds, for me, a new light on the
      utility of the understanding of nondoership which
      surprisingly isn't depressing. It also describes
      experiences of glimpsing egolessness which I've been
      wondering what to do with; as Neem and oh said, do nothing.
      As Ramesh would say, there is no doer, everything happens
      spontaneously.

      JABBA

      The latest details and contacts for the Satsang Party in
      Hyde Park are at:

      http://www.egroups.com/files/jder/Satpublic.doc

      We are the Nonduality Generation.
      http://www.nonduality.com