Monday, July 3

  • umbada@ns.sympatico.ca
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 4, 2000
      Why look for proof, for understanding,
      just realize that the vision
      in front of your eyes can't be,
      not as you see it.

      What is any miracle,
      other than an apparition
      within this vision?

      What is proof,
      other than an explanation
      that satisfies
      within this vision.

      Understand it?!
      It is not possible!

      Look at it!
      You cannot be!
      Here, walking, talking
      in the middle of an
      empty infinity.

      THAT is the miracle.

      --Manchine

      GLORIA LEE

      This past Friday, I went into Wash DC to see the Tibetan
      Village on the Mall.
      Their very finest craftsmen were demonstrating their arts.
      Several monks were
      continuing the sand mandala underway all week, which
      requires a steady touch.
      Fine colored grains of sand are put in a slender metal
      funnel and then rubbed
      gently with a metal wand so that the slight vibration causes
      a few grains at a
      time to drop out the small opening. The intricacy of this
      design is incredible.

      The painting of the Thangkhas, religious images of Buddha
      and Bodhisattvas are
      also finely detailed. As well as painting, some are created
      by an applique
      technique of rich materials and fine sewing. Pashima shawls
      hand woven of tiny
      fine threads. The lettering of their texts is traditionally
      hand carved into
      wooden blocks for printing. The enormous amount of time to
      do these crafts is
      quite obvious, not to mention the time it takes to learn to
      do them well. It
      all gives an impression of having all the time in the world
      to do something
      just right.

      At the Buddhist temple in a tent, there was a continous
      round of teachings and
      chantings. And the tent was full to overflowing. It's very
      encouraging to see
      such interest. The end of the talk I heard, the monk asked
      how many might be
      returning for the next talk an hour later and half the crowd
      raised their
      hands. He told the rest that if this might be their only
      hearing of Buddhist
      teachings they might wonder what they got from it, but to
      think of Buddhism as
      being not about getting but more about what one might come
      there to leave. He
      made a few points about dropping stuff and said the essence
      of the message is
      how to relax and leave worries behind. Everyone clapped. The
      Tibetans certainly
      do have a very noticable serenity and kindly cheerfulness in
      their willingness
      to talk to anyone and everyone and patiently answer
      questions.

      There were more crafts and yaks and a nomad's tent and a
      huge prayer
      wheel,dolls in Tibetan costumes. Anyway, I'll soon put a few
      pictures in the
      files in a Tibetan folder..the flash camera ones I haven't
      got back yet.

      A sample of their various arts can be seen at this website:
      http://www.beliefnet.com/features/dalailama/tibetanarts.html

      Be sure to at least see the incredible Sand Mandala pictures
      at:
      http://www.artnetwork.com/Mandala/

      On Friday, 50,000 people showed up to hear the Dalai Lama's
      talk on the mall.
      It was non-political, focusing on the illusory nature of
      wealth and power, and
      the role of hope and generosity toward others in bringing
      happiness.

      A video webcast of his talk in Wash DC will be available
      July 5th 7:30,
      continuing until Aug at this site:
      http://www.beliefnet.com/features/dalailama/index.html

      GLORIA LEE FORWARDS:

      namaste. Continuing on with the excerpts from "The prayer of
      the frog" by
      Anthony de Mello.

      Regards Gummuluru Murthy

      RELIGION: HOW SPIRITUAL ORGANIZATIONS GROW

      On a rocky seacoast where shipwrecks were frequent there was
      once a ramshackle
      little life-saving station. It was no more than a hut and
      there was only one
      boat, but the few people who manned the station were a
      devoted lot who kept
      constant watch over the sea and, with little regard for
      themselves and their
      safety, went fearlessly out in a storm if they had any
      evidence that there had
      been a shipwreck somewhere. Many lives were thus saved and
      the station became
      famous.

      As the fame of the station grew, so did the desire of people
      in the
      neighbourhood to become associated with its excellent work.
      They generously
      offered of their time and money so new members were
      enrolled, new boats bought
      and new crews trained. The hut too was replaced by a
      comfortable building which
      could adequately handle the needs of those who had been
      saved from the sea and,
      of course, since shipwrecks do not occur everyday, it became
      a popular
      gathering place - a sort of local club. As time passed the
      members became so
      engaged in socializing that they had little interest in
      life-saving, though
      they duly sported the life-saving motto on the badges they
      wore. As a matter of
      fact, when some people were actually rescued from the sea,
      it was always such a
      nuisance because they were dirty and sick and soiled the
      carpeting and the
      furniture.

      Soon the social activities of the club bacame so numerous
      and the life-saving
      activities so few that there was a show-down at a club
      meeting with some
      members insisting that they return to their original purpose
      and activity. A
      vote was taken and these trouble makers, who proved to be a
      small minority,
      were invited to leave the club and start another.

      Which is precisely what they did - a little further down the
      coast, with such
      selflessness and daring that, after a while, their heroism
      made them famous.
      Whereupon their membership was enlarged, their hut was
      reconstructed ... and
      their idealism smothered. If you happen to visit that area
      today you will find
      a number of exclusive clubs dotting the shoreline. Each one
      of them is
      justifiably proud of its origin and its tradition.
      Shipwrecks still occur in
      those parts, but nobody seems to care much.

      BRUCE MORGEN

      Sometimes nonduality is very beautifully pointed toward,
      which is all that
      words can do in that regard. Most of the time, the words
      appear too mundane to
      be of such an exalted llk, but that is a mere appearance.
      Look more deeply,
      with all the clarity you can muster. Drop your assumptions
      about what "should"
      be happening and kick them aside -- you might notice that
      the nondual does not
      preclude the mundane, but rather effortlessly and
      exquisitely encompasses it.

      MIRA

      I am always hanging around in this Salon, reading words,
      savouring their
      ordinary mundane and plain taste. Ah, and then I stumble
      upon your words Bruce,
      which remind me again why the ordinary tastes so superbly
      extra-ordinary. How
      could it be that one can point to the non-dual only in less
      than ordinary
      words? Words are already nondual by nature. It is only
      interpretations that
      split them into this duality of exalted/mundane. What they
      arise from precedes
      such interpretations, so what quality could they possibly
      have? Your words have
      exactly the right taste, Bruce, thanks.

      MANCHINE

      On the way in to work today, I realized I was looking at
      clear snow capped
      mountains below a tapestry sky of high alto cummulus, after
      a week of
      devastating rains....

      I realized that it was nothing compared to the weekend, at
      home in the house,
      where for some unbenown reason I had been heavily graced
      with the presence of "
      " AM, no intention, "appearing" out of nowhere over and
      over. Being in awe and
      joy and thanks... and this view this morning, no more, no
      less... just a part
      of IT, the same part.

      I AM THAT, you know what I mean?

      ANDREW MACNAB

      Projective geartrain spins like crazy clockwork calculating
      machine. Clatter of
      output finger on archaic keyboard interface device...
      Projected response
      projects..."Judi's feeling feisty"... Projection engine
      resumes cruise mode.

      JAN KOEHOORN

      Time

      In the good old days, time was considered and absolute
      thing. Isaac Newton
      thought so, and so did the rest of the world. Albert
      Einstein proved that there
      isn't such a thing as absolute time. He said that time could
      be different for
      different observers. To me, time is only there when thinking
      is there. No
      thinking, no time, for example when in deep dreamless sleep,
      or between two
      thoughts.

      GURU DAVE

      Friends,

      to celebrate my recent rumoured but not yet hotly debated
      enlightenment..we
      will be convening with Harjap, an enlightened colleague, in
      London's Hyde Park
      and listening to some informal enlightened banter while
      cruising the cool beats
      of London's free biggest music party 'Party in the Park' or
      taking a dip in the
      serpentine lake

      It's bound to be packed so I suggest we convene somewhere
      Hyde Park Corner at a
      civilised hour and then we can ruminate onwards from there.

      That's Sunday 9 July 2000 at 13:00

      If you need to come later then contact me ASAP so we can
      find a way of meeting
      (by using mobile phones)

      Contact The Secretary tarotmike@y... for further details

      We are the Nonduality Generation.