#3967 - Thursday, July 29, 2010 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 29, 2010

      #3967 - Thursday, July 29, 2010 - Editor: Gloria Lee

      "A true karana guru never sees himself as superior or inferior to anybody, nor does he or she take himself or anybody for a sage or an ignorant, for a spiritual teacher or a disciple. This impersonal attitude creates an unmistakable perfume of friendship and freedom that is a prequisite for the success of the final stages of the self realization process." -- Francis Lucille

      by Christine Wushke on Facebook

      The Main Case:
      One said the flag was moving; the other said the wind was moving. Arguing back and forth they could come to no agreement. The Sixth Patriarch said, "It is neither the wind nor the flag that is moving. It is your mind that is moving." The two monks were struck with awe.

      Wumen's poem:

          The wind moves, the flag moves, the mind moves:
          All of them missed it.
          Though he knows how to open his mouth,
          He does not see he was caught by words."

                          ~Konrad Ryushin Marchaj Sensei

      From the website http://dharma.net/mountainrecord/current/words-no-words/

      posted to Daily Dharma by anipachen

      We must become ignorant
      Of all we’ve been taught,
      And be, instead, bewildered.

      Run from what’s profitable and comfortable
      If you drink those liqueurs, you’ll spill
      The spring waters of your real life.

      Forget safety.
      Live where you fear to live.
      Destroy your reputation.
      Be notorious.

      I have tried prudent planning
      Long enough, from now
      On, I’ll live mad.

      ~Mevlana Rumi

      Translation by Coleman Barks

      by Baraka Phillip Page on Facebook

      What Isn’t Love?

      I decided to ask Swami a question. He had been baking all morning, dusting cocoa powder on fragile white cookies. “What isn’t love?” I wanted to know.

      He put his fingers on his nose to wipe away some cocoa and then sat down at the kitchen table. I sat down with him and waited.

      “That, my dear, is an unnecessary question. What isn’t love does not exist.” He said this emphatically.

      “Does hate exist?” I said, trying to go at it in a different direction.

      “If hate isn’t love, it doesn’t exist,” he said.

      “Why is there so much suffering in the world, Swami?”

      “Because the world does not exist,” he said.

      He smiled then and lit a candle of hope in my heart. It smelled like vanilla.

      I got up and poured us two mugs of tea to go with the delicate cookies.

      “What is the best spiritual practice?” I asked him.

      “I don’t know,” he said.

      “What do you mean ‘I don’t know’”?

      “The best spiritual practice is not to know. To just be.”

      “I seem to get in a lot of trouble that way,” I said.

      “You have to be conscious that you are being. That is all. Just know yourself as someone who doesn’t know, who can’t know. Knowing is so fifteen seconds ago. Being doesn’t know. It just is.” And with that he stood up and left the room. The vanilla remained.

      Vicki Woodyard, A scribe of Swami Z.

      photo by Alan Larus