#3946 - Thursday, July 8, 2010 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 8, 2010

      #3946 - Thursday, July 8, 2010 - Editor: Gloria Lee

      Accommodate Whatever Arises

      Understanding that there is no solid, singular, or permanent “me” makes it possible to accommodate whatever arises in life without feeling so intimidated by our experience, without rolling over like a defeated dog in a dogfight. We can see that things arise due to our karma playing itself out and that it does not necessarily have to be so personal. In this way we can identify with something greater—which is our nature itself.

      Dzigar Kongtrul Rinpoche, "Realizing Guiltlessness" (Winter 2004)

      Read the complete article here

      Jacob, almost seventy, was in the midstages of Alzheimer's disease. A clinical
      psychologist by profession and a meditator for more than twenty years, he was
      well aware that his faculties were deteriorating. On occasion his mind would go
      totally blank; he would have no access to words for several minutes and
      become completely disoriented. He often forgot what he was doing and usually
      needed assistance with basic tasks-cutting his food, putting on clothes,
      bathing, getting from place to place.

      Jacob had occasionally given talks about Buddhism to local groups and had
      accepted an invitation to address a gathering of over a hundred meditation
      students. He arrived at the event feeling alert and eager to share the teachings
      he loved. Taking his seat in front of the hall, Jacob looked out at the expectant
      faces before him and suddenly he didn't know what he was supposed to say
      or do. He didn't know where he was or why he was there. All he knew was that
      his heart was pounding furiously and his mind was spinning in confusion.
      Putting his palms together at his heart, Jacob started naming out loud what
      was happening: "Afraid, embarrassed, confused, feeling like I'm falling,
      powerless, shaking, sense of dying, sinking, lost." For several more minutes he
      sat, head slightly bowed, continuing to name his experience. As his body
      began to relax and his mind grew calmer, he also noted that aloud. At last
      Jacob lifted his head, looked slowly around at those gathered, and apologized.

      Many of the students were in tears. As one put it, "No one has ever taught us
      like this. Your presence has been the deepest teaching." Rather than pushing
      away his experience and deepening his agitation, Jacob had the courage and
      training simply to name what he was aware of, and, most significantly, to bow
      to his experience. In some fundamental way he didn't create an adversary out
      of feelings of fear and confusion. *He didn't make anything wrong.*

      -from Radical Acceptance: Embracing Your Life With the Heart of a
      Buddha, by Tara Brach, Ph.D.

      posted by Gloria Barrera on Facebook

      photo by Alan Larus

      Interviewer: What's the best advice you ever got?

      Warren Buffett: The power of unconditional love. I mean, there is no power on earth like unconditional love. And I think that if you offered that to your child, I mean you’re 90 percent of the way home. There may be days when you don’t feel like it, it’s not uncritical love, that’s a different animal, but to know you can always come back, that is huge in life. That takes you a long, long way. And I would say that every parent out there that can extend that to their child at an early age, it’s going to make for  a better human being.

      posted to Daily Dharma by Amrita Nadi

      finding my mind ... isn't mine!

      Last night I watched a TV program called “Finding My Mind.” This is how the program was described: This program unravels the mysteries of the brain. For thousands of years philosophers have tried and failed to come up with satisfactory answers to questions such as ‘who am I?’. But recently neuroscientists have made some fascinating and unnerving discoveries. Here, Oxford University professor of mathematics Marcus du Sautoy takes a journey deep into his own brain – a willing guinea pig for some of the most extraordinary experiments known to neuroscience – to discover where ‘free will’ and ‘self’ actually come from. [.....]

      The post continues at

      You can watch a video clip at:

      Reader's contribution from miriam louisa

      Ed. Note: This is a fantastic blog and website, please look around. I especially appreciate her list of links to: