#3941 - Saturday, July 4, 2010

  • markwotter704
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 4 10:35 AM

      Nonduality Highlights: Issue #3941, Saturday, July 4, 2010

      Questioner: In Europe there is no tradition of a mantra, except in some contemplative orders. Of what use is it to a modern young Westerner?

      Maharaj: None, unless he is very much attracted. For him the right procedure is to adhere to the thought that he is the ground of all knowledge, the immutable and perennial awareness of all that happens to the senses and the mind. If he keeps it in mind all the time, aware and alert, he is bound to break the bounds of non-awareness and emerge into pure life, light and love. The idea - 'I am the witness only' will purify the body and the mind and open the eye of wisdom. Then man goes beyond illusion and his heart is free of all desires. Just like ice turns to water and water to vapour, and vapour dissolves in air and disappears in space, so does the body dissolve into pure awareness (chidakash), then into pure being (paramakash), which is beyond all existence and non-existence.

      - Nisargadatta Majaraj, from I Am That, posted to NondualitySalon

      You are the Perceptual Center
      of all your experience.

      Realize This, and you will discover that
      the universe is contained within
      the light of your own innate
      Natural Awareness, and
      you are not limited by
      who or what
      you imagine yourself to be.

      Remember: you are That which is
      Seeing, Observing and Perceiving....

      - Metta Zetty

      In non-objective meditation, our attention is drawn towards the non-objective, the ultimate subject, consciousness. This is accomplished as a result of understanding. At the first stage, the truth-seeker is asked to notice that the happiness he is really looking for is non-objective, which means "not contained in any object, gross or subtle". When this is understood, he is then asked to realize that the mind, which can only grasp mentations (thoughts and sense-perceptions), cannot have access to the non-objective realm. It follows that any attempt to secure the happiness he is looking for through the mind is bound to failure. When this is understood, the mind soon finds itself in a NATURAL state of stillness.

      In this natural form of meditation, sensations or thoughts are neither sought nor avoided; they are simply welcomed and seen off. It could be described as a total openness, in which we are totally open to our sense perceptions, our bodily sensations, our emotions, our feelings and our thoughts. We could compare these mentations with the various characters of a play. As long as we find the play interesting, our attention is completely drawn by the actors on the foreground, but, if there is a weak moment, our attention progressively relaxes until we become suddenly aware of the background, of the stage. In the same way, as our attention becomes global, unfocused, open, disinterested, (and this detachment follows from our understanding that these mentations have really nothing to offer in terms of real happiness), our attention relaxes, until we become suddenly aware of the background, consciousness, which reveals itself as the ultimate immortality, splendor and happiness we were looking for.

      It is not necessary for the actors to leave the stage in order for us to be aware of the background of the stage; similarly, the absence of mentations is not a prerequisite for awareness of the Self. However, in the same way as, when the actors leave and our attention relaxes, we have an opportunity to become aware of the background, there is an opportunity to "visualize" our real nature when a mentation merges into consciousness.

      - Francis Lucille

      A Voice Through the Door

      Sometimes you hear a voice through
      the door calling you, as fish out of

      water hear the waves, or a hunting
      falcon hears the drum's come back.

      This turning toward what you deeply
      love saves you. Children fill their

      shirts with rocks and carry them
      around. We're not children anymore.

      Read the book of your life which has
      been given you. A voice comes to

      your soul saying, Lift your foot;
      cross over; move into the emptiness

      of question and answer and question.

      - Rumi, version by Coleman Barks, with Nevit Ergin, from The Glance, posted to Sunlight

      Leave God alone. Speak for yourself. You do not know God. He is only what you think of Him. Is He apart from you? He is that Pure Consciousness in which all ideas are formed. You are that Consciousness.

      - Ramana Maharshi, posted to Distillation