#3925 - Thursday, June 17, 2010 - Editor: Gloria Lee

  • Gloria
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 17, 2010

      #3925 - Thursday, June 17, 2010 - Editor: Gloria Lee

      The Nonduality Highlights

      There is neither creation nor destruction,
      neither destiny nor free will,
      neither path nor achievement;
      this is the final truth.

                                     - Ramana Maharshi

      posted to Along The Way

      Although this bodymind was not designed for it or created to do it, it is capable of Waking Up to the Knowing that is radiant as all knowings and knowns. Perhaps not for some, but certainly for me, this is the bright side and it is all around: The bodymind can be used to realize what itself and all beings and worlds in actuality are as the radiance of the luminosity of Awareness in and as itself. This skin bag is thus also the place in which Buddhas and Awakened Ancestors are born. It was through a skin bag sitting down beneath a pipal tree on a cushion of kusa grass that the worm Siddhartha died the Great Death from which arose Sakyamuni Buddha. In the Ariya Pariyesana sutta the Buddha recounts how after Awakening one of his first statements to anyone was,

      "I go to the city of Kasi

      to turn the wheel of the Dhamma.

      In a world gone blind,

      I will beat the drum of deathlessness."

      And yet some forty years later, Sakyamuni Buddha died with a torrent of diarrhea from eating spoiled pork.

      What is this deathlessness, then? Did just the bodymind die? Did Sakyamuni go somewhere else? No. Sakyamuni was never any place at all. He was already beyond reference point, already blown out, already dissolved into nirvana. Did Joshu Dainen roshi die or just the bodymind? Roshi was not anywhere at all. He did not go anywhere. What was called Yasuda Joshu Dainen daiosho or called Sakyamuni Buddha were joyful activities of Awakening enacted through bodyminds that were opened into the Activity of the Aware Space that they arose within. They were called what they were called for convenience. Perhaps the Buddha should have had embroidered on his robe "Ceci n'est pas une Bouddha." Sakyamuni Buddha was just a painted Buddha, not the real Buddha. The real Buddha is not just Sakyamuni Buddha. It is here as you.

      -Ven. Anzan Hoshin roshi

      posted to Daily Dharma by Amrita Nadi

      Nature never does a bad thing.  There is no such
      thing as a bad thing for Nature.  It looks unpleasant,
      because we are outside nature, psychologically.  If
      we are one with Nature, we will see nothing improper
      taking place.  We are looking at things by standing
      outside nature.  That is why we cannot see things
      properly and impartially.

               - Swami Krishnananda

      posted to Along The Way

      This is what was bequeathed us:
      This earth the beloved left
      And, leaving,
      Left to us.

      No other world
      But this one:
      Willows and the river
      And the factory
      With its black smokestacks.

      No other shore, only this bank
      On which the living gather.

      No meaning but what we find here.
      No purpose but what we make.

      That, and the beloved's clear instructions:
      Turn me into song; sing me awake.

      ~ Gregory Orr ~

      (How Beautiful the Beloved)

      Kindness

      Before you know what kindness really is
      you must lose things,
      feel the future dissolve in a moment
      like salt in a weakened broth.
      What you held in your hand,
      what you counted and carefully saved,
      all this must go so you know
      how desolate the landscape can be
      between the regions of kindness.
      How you ride and ride
      thinking the bus will never stop,
      the passengers eating maize and chicken
      will stare out the window forever.

      Before you learn the tender gravity of kindness,
      you must travel where the Indian in a white poncho
      lies dead by the side of the road.
      You must see how this could be you,
      how he too was someone
      who journeyed through the night with plans
      and the simple breath that kept him alive.

      Before you know kindness as the deepest thing inside,
      you must know sorrow as the other deepest thing.
      You must wake up with sorrow.
      You must speak to it till your voice
      catches the thread of all sorrows
      and you see the size of the cloth.

      Then it is only kindness that makes sense anymore,
      only kindness that ties your shoes
      and sends you out into the day to mail letters and purchase bread,
      only kindness that raises its head
      from the crowd of the world to say
      it is I you have been looking for,
      and then goes with you every where
      like a shadow or a friend.

      ~ Naomi Shihab Nye ~

      (Words From Under the Words: Selected Poems)