#3898 - Wednesday, May 19, 2010 - Editor: Jerry Katz

    Message 1 of 1 , May 20, 2010
      #3898 - Wednesday, May 19, 2010 - Editor: Jerry Katz

      Paintings by John Bramblitt. If your email is not configured to view graphics you may see them at

      http://www.bramblitt.net/gallery.htm

      The following was sent to Nonduality Salon:

      This is a short documentary about John Bramblitt, a painter who is blind.
      It's worth a look in that there are some enlightening things he has to say
      about perception.

       http://www.bramblitt.net/documentary.htm

      Artist Statement

      Perceptions

      This series is a challenge to what perception truly is. Vision has been
      equated with "knowing" even though it is nothing more than a chemical
      response to the light that passes through the lens of the eye. Vision at
      best is a second hand way of knowing the world; all that can be perceived is
      light that has been reflected off of objects. When people look at an image
      reflected in a mirror they do not feel that the reflection is real, yet when
      it is reflected by the "mirrors" in one's own eye that image is deemed
      reality.

      Plato spoke of a cave where images were displayed on the back wall, but
      these images were only representation of the "real" world and those that
      believed that these images were real would never have a true understanding
      of the actual world they lived in. For Plato the world of the real existed
      outside of the cave; outside of the eye.

      "Painting is a blind man's profession. He paints not what he sees, but what
      he feels, what he tells himself about what he has seen." - Pablo Picasso

      Our misunderstanding about perception is ingrained so deeply that it colors
      much of our language.

      For instance, we say "I see" when what we really mean is that that we
      understand something. Someone is called "blind" when they lack
      understanding - blind to the truth or blind to some fact which others see as
      obvious. Look in almost any dictionary and you find synonyms for blindness
      that include words like: unknowing, unquestioning, careless, heedless,
      ignorant, imperceptive, inattentive, inconsiderate, indiscriminate,
      injudicious, insensitive, neglectful, oblivious, thoughtless, unaware,
      unconscious, undiscerning, unmindful, unobservant, unreasoning. it goes on
      and on.

      Clearly this is not reality but rather one of those shadowy images that is
      cast upon the cave wall. What then is reality? What is Perception?
      My series is an effort to answer these questions; not in words but in paint
      and canvas - by using images to understand perception. The masked man on TV
      and in the movies hides his identity by covering his eyes, and through this
      simple act hides all that he is. The identities of villains and even
      fictitious heroes such as Spiderman and Batman all fade into oblivion purely
      by covering their eyes. My paintings focus on the eyes and the very area
      that a mask would cover thereby "unmasking" the subject of the painting
      giving no place for the emotions and the truth of the person to hide. You
      look at my paintings, but very often they look back.