#3882 - Tuesday, May 4, 2010 - Editor: Jerry Katz

    Message 1 of 1 , May 4, 2010
      #3882 - Tuesday, May 4, 2010 - Editor: Jerry Katz

      The Mental Pause

      I am going through the Mental Pause. Not the menopause. This comes about
      the same time, though.  Some advaitists teach this as an actual
      principle, can you imagine? They would have us do this on purpose! They
      advocate being in a room and staying with the emptiness. Not wondering
      why you came into the room in the first place. Was it to get some peanut
      butter or to defrost the refrigerator. Do Zen masters have this problem.
      Do they just sit and forget stuff, like milk and bread on the way home
      from the zendo. Are there patriarchs of peanut butter?

      The old master sat with
      his tongue stuck to the roof
      of his mind.
      Yum.

      I am an advocate of all things tasty, fresh and good for you. I just
      can’t always remember it. So I end up eating Fritos and Cheetos and
      Cheeze Whiz and Cocoa Puffs with whole milk instead of soy or almond
      milk. I am like that in my impermanency. My thoughts are definitely
      impermanent. That is perhaps why I cannot finish what I start. War and
      Peace, to me, might include installments of Tvgasm.com and Facebook
      pages of my nearest and dearest jillion friends. I don’t Twitter because
      I don’t have time for the inanity. Stop the inanity. Now there’s a good
      Tweet.

      The new master sat
      with his iPad
      watching the old frog
      plop into the virtual pond.
      Blog. Tweet.

      As I travel through the badlands of this essay on the old gray mare of
      my mind, I suddenly decide to alight and encamp among the blog rushes
      growing wild around the virtual pond. Soon I am lost in thoughts of
      assorted and sundry enlightened ones blogging about their spiritual
      virtuosity. The reeds and clarinets of awakened egos are suddenly giving
      me a headache of monstrous proportions. Before I know it, I will be just
      another nondual celeb faking it until I am making it.  So onto the final
      haiku:

      I dismantled my walking stick today
      and sat down on the ground of my being.
      Ouch.