#3871 - Thursday, April 22, 2010 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 23, 2010

      #3871 - Thursday, April 22, 2010 - Editor: Gloria Lee
      The Nonduality Highlights -
      I have not really known myself,
      or anyone else.

      I've tried to do good, and not
      just what my appetites wanted,
      but that was all infatuation
      with this precious, isolated, body.

      That you and I were constantly joining,
      I didn't know.  I didn't know
      that even to ask "What are You?"
      or "Who am I" breaks the harmony.

                                       - Lalla
                                        14th Century North Indian mystic

      ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` `

      From "Naked Song"
      Versions by Coleman Barks
      posted to Along The Way

      Big Sky Mind

      Tibetan teacher Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche described panoramic awareness as “a state without center or fringe” in which there is no watcher or perceiver, no division between subject and object. With a Big Mind, one does not view the sky, as eleventh-century Zen Master Dogen said most people do, by looking up at it “through a bamboo tube.” Instead, the distinction between self and other is abolished in the experience of the empty sky itself.
      - Rick Fields, "Buddhism and the Beat Generation"

      The little space within the heart is as great as the vast
      universe. The heavens and the earth are there, and the sun and the moon and
      the stars. Fire and lightning and winds are there, and all that now is and
      all that is not.
      - The Upanishads

      It comes to this paradox--that the farther they travel on the path of ego-effort,
      the farther they move from their goal,
      and the less they try to approach their Source the closer they come to it!

      — Notebooks of Paul Brunton
      posted to Wisdom-l by Mark Scorelle

      Sacred and Mundane
      I blow out the candles. I clean the table and stove using super-cleaning microfiber cloths that require only hot water rather than chemicals. I apply elbow grease.

      These forms of attention are more mundane and difficult for me to practice than the ecstasy I often feel on the mountain. Yet they too express a reverence for the natural world and an understanding of interdependence... Ultimately, Dogen says, housewifery and ecstasy are not that different. “Taking up a green vegetable, turn it into a sixteen-foot golden body,” he challenges me.
      - Katy Butler, "Everything is Holy"

      Words can never convey the beauty of a tree; to understand it, you must see it with your own eyes. Language cannot capture the melody of a song; to understand it, you must hear it with your own ears. So it is with the Tao: the only way to understand it is to directly experience it. The subtle truth of the universe is unsayable and unthinkable. Therefore the highest teachings are wordless. My own words are not the medicine, but a prescription; not the destination, but a map to help you reach it. When you get there, quiet your mind and close your mouth. Don't analyze the Tao. Strive instead to live it: silently, undividedly, with your whole harmonious being.

      Dark and cold we may be, but this

      Is no winter now. The frozen misery

      Of centuries breaks, cracks, begins to move;

      The thunder is the thunder of the floes,

      The thaw, the flood, the upstart Spring.

      Thank God our time is now when wrong

      Comes up to face us everywhere,

      Never to leave us till we take

      The longest stride of soul we ever took.

      Affairs are now soul size.

      The enterprise

      Is exploration into God.

      Where are you making for? It takes