#3861 - Saturday, April 10, 2010

  • markwotter704
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 11, 2010

      Nonduality Highlights: Issue #3861, Saturday, April 10, 2010

      :He fashioned himself a hunter of ideas and had found himself wandering with a small band of seekers in cyberspace.

      They talked in a language that was little understood among the common folk.

      Over the years, he had grown quite fond of some of them and wondered what they looked like. He felt that he knew them as much as he had known anyone.

      He noticed that he tended to gravitate to those who agreed with his spiritual conclusions and how he became irritated with those who pretended to have acquired what he had sought for so many years.

      Those who he considered to be the "real" gurus, he fawned over. He would travel great distances to be with them and sit quietly in sychophantic bliss.

      He would loose himself in the ecstatic poets and would ponder how much of their intent was lost in time and translation. He even studied their languages in an unsuccessful attempt to unravel their bliss.

      He parused obscure publications for the ever emerging possibility of capturing his completness in words.

      The arrival of newly purchased books adrenalized his trips to the post office.

      It was unfortuate that, only at the end of his life, was he able to see that when ideas rub against each other and merge in an ecstatic confluence of syncopated synchronisities..... everything disappears into itself.

      ..........and that consciousness had, in some strange and wonderful way..... used him in a dream to discover itself.........

      - Toombaru, originally posted in 2003, reposted recently on AdvaitaToZen

      Immeasurable Reality

      In its true sense spirituality is not a plaything or a pastime. It has nothing to do with enhancing you or your status in the dream state. Nor is it about gurus in long flowing robes, secret oral teachings, ancient traditions, or holy books that people claim were written by God. It's about here and now and you, and whether you are asleep within the dream state or awake within the awakened state.

      It is the nature of all dreams that the characters therein are so busy being - well, dream characters -that the bigger reality of what lies outside the dream state eludes them. But then again, dream characters don't wake up from the dreams they are a part of; the dreamer does. If spirituality is to be meaningful it must address what lies beyond the dream state that most of us create in our minds and humanity lives in day-to-day, for unless we awaken from our personal and collective dreams we will continue to live in a state of unconsciousness on the surface of a life of infinite potential.

      Only that which is real and true has the power to liberate us from the mechanical and magnetic draw of the dream state. For ultimately it is ignorance (the belief in things that are untrue) that imprisons us within a trance state, which is induced by taking the conditioned stream of thinking within one's mind to be true. If we are to awaken from the mind's hypnotic embrace, we must question all of our beliefs and assumptions down to the very source of our being until that which is true, real, and everlasting reveals itself.

      Truth is that which lies beyond the grasp of the dreaming mind. It is not something that can be captured and stated like a fact can. Truth is a timeless reality and therefore sacred in the true sense of the word. Please do not think of truth in mystical terms or even in spiritual terms. Truth refers to the whole of existence and beyond. Truth exists as much in your teacup as it does in your temples and churches. Truth is as present in shopping for your groceries as it is in chanting to God. To think of truth only in spiritual or religious terms is to miss the whole of it, for in doing so you create the boundaries and divisions that are the very antithesis of truth.

      Truth is an immeasurable reality not at all separate from your own being. For in the revelation of truth, all beings rest within your being. Put more simply, if you cannot find it now underfoot, I'm afraid that you have missed it entirely.

      © Adyashanti 2009

      Your belief that something-is-missing-in-the-present-moment provides the momentum for the melodrama of your life to propel itself outward in search of this absent and elusive "something."

      Similarly, the proverbial donkey is never able to arrive at the dangling carrot because the carrot is always kept just out of its reach.

      Just like it is for you.

      Life's ongoing momentum prevents you from reaching any permanent satisfaction or experiencing any sense of final completion.

      Sadly, though, you never seem to run out of new carrots to dangle in front of your ravishing "I's."

      - Chuck Hillig, posted to AlongTheWay

      The most erroneous stories are those we think we know best - and therefore never scrutinize or question.

      Stephen Jay Gould, posted to Distillation

      Now is the time to know
      That all that you do is sacred.

      Now, why not consider
      A lasting truce with yourself and God.

      Now is the time to understand
      That all your ideas of right and wrong
      Were just a child's training wheels
      To be laid aside
      When you finally live
      With veracity
      And love.

      Hafiz is a divine envoy
      Whom the Beloved
      Has written a holy message upon.

      My dear, please tell me,
      Why do you still
      Throw sticks at your heart
      And God?

      What is it in that sweet voice inside
      That incites you to fear?

      Now is the time for the world to know
      That every thought and action is sacred.

      This is the time
      For you to compute the impossibility
      That there is anything
      But Grace.

      Now is the season to know
      That everything you do
      Is sacred.

      - Hafiz, from The Gift" - versions of Hafiz by Daniel Ladinsky,  posted to The_Now2