HIGHLIGHTS of Friday June 23, 2000

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 24, 2000
      MARK

      Hi KKT,

      Does it really matter? If you do what you do, and it doesn't work for
      you, can you identify ways in which it is your "doing" that the
      "not-working" happened? For me this is a pretty useful question. I
      find ways in which it is my "doing" that makes it "not-work" all the
      time, and it appears that with gentle practice I can work on this.
      Seeing the mechanism by which I prevent my acceptance of and delight
      with things as they are helps me to relax a bit and take it less
      seriously, less personally. That seems so often to be at the heart of
      the constriction that I feel I subconsciously maintain (I can relax it
      when I notice it, so it is my doing...) That constriction clearly stops
      my complete enjoyment of THIS. The capital lettes are to bring your
      attention to this, not to suggest that this is special... It is, but
      only in that it isn't.

      I'll bet this is getting silly sounding. Let me try again. I do try to
      relax and just feel a sense of continuity between the edges of my body
      and the rest of things. This often seems to soften the boundary and
      when it does, I tend to grin and feel really good. I can do this, when
      I remember. That feels like free will to me. Recently, I am seeing
      that that viewing that as free will itself is one of the ways in which
      "not-working" is my doing. When the feeling is there and I am
      delighting in the very nature of things, thinking about it and getting
      pleased that I "have it again" pushes it away. Thinking in the
      periphery only pushes it a little, but tends to lead to thinking about
      other things and then sometime later, I once again notice the
      opportunity to relax and feel it again (often days later, mind you...)
      Getting on that train of thought with no attention to where I am going
      is a doing, which makes the not working happen. Does this make sense?
      If it does, then I think you will see the paradox. There is free will
      in choosing to end the illusion that I have anything to say about how
      things are. Choosing to let go of that control seems all by itself to
      make some wonderful presence happen, which is just fine the way it is,
      and I hope that the silly game of wanting free will goes soon so that I
      can just be that presence. But, the choosing and the hoping also
      reinforces the idea that I choose things, and that there is something to
      hope for, and those both take me away from the experience. So I guess
      for me it doesn't matter if there is free will. (But I use my free will
      to maintain this stance, which causes me to remain asleep.) whew! I
      hope this helps in some way. It may help most if you just let it
      confuse you and let go of the need for anything to make sense. It's
      like a water slide. Does the water slide have to make sense before it
      can be fun? Why should life be any different?

      DAVE

      For me, the paradox of free will within destiny is
      a living example of the harmony and intent of "BEING".

      Destiny IS this moment, which indeed is nothing more nor
      nothing less than pure compassion.

      We are free to see it as we will.
      We are not free to possess it.

      DAVE and DAN

      >Dave:
      >They are aware how in dreams, once it is noticed that there
      >is an "inconsistency" that we immediatly manufacture a
      >"solution".

      D: A fascinating observation. To "solve" inconsistency,
      I must have a belief that "I" exist in a stable,
      predictable, and consistent way. Otherwise, how could
      "I" construct a consistent "solution"? If this belief
      in a consistent existence turns out to be "self-serving"
      rather than real, my own observations and conclusions
      are subject to, indeed essentially *are*, the same
      fluctuating inconsistency observed "out there".
      If I remove the bias in favor of my consistent
      self-existence, I see that "I" bring order to nothing,
      I am nothing other than inconsistency
      given a temporary and fluctating form.

      >Dave:
      >The charm of the paradox is infinite.
      >To understand, that the ultimate consistency rests in
      >nothing, one must come to terms with the fact that there
      >are an infinite number of inconsistencies in things.

      D: Yes, thank you, this rings quite true.
      Inconsistency is infinite. The inconsistencies
      noted in "things" show "things" for what they
      are: fabrications that hide infinity.
      Our bias in favor of structure and predictability
      (arising simply from the survival program of
      the body-mind) can be dropped as we open
      to the truly awesome beauty and paradox
      of this 'nothing'. This 'nothing' really is full
      of surprises...

      >Dave:
      >As you said to Carlos, it really is fortunate that the
      >laughter is non-hostile :-)

      D: And as I say to you, my laughter this morning
      is my enjoyment of the rich "seeing" you have
      shared here.

      Shalom,
      Dan

      Jerry asked: What else in nature is it impossible to stare at?
      > -------------
      > I find it almost impossible to look someone else, friend or stranger, in
      > the eye without an undesirable interactive responsiveness arising. On
      > rare occasions, eyes meet and it's like mirror to mirror without any
      > kind of signal being sent. Is nondual eye contact like looking in a
      > mirror? or maybe like being a mirror. What's the view?
      >
      > Larry

      I know what you're saying. Why is that? I think it's because
      one person is not willing to be open. Nondual eye contact is
      like looking into one's own eyes in the mirror. If a person
      can't look him- or herself in the eye without a motive, how
      can it be done with another?

      Jerry
      ~~~~~
      The eyes are a gift. They are a finely tuned, exquisitely
      sensitive extension of the brain to the surface of
      the body. The eyes are capable of sending a very subtle
      energy. When there is eye-to-eye contact in which
      clear energy is simultaneously given and received,
      an attunement of awareness is possible. This attunement
      allows for the nonverbal transmission of the "present
      state of awareness". The results can be significant.

      Dan
      ~~~~~~

      Isn't this a fascinating exercise? I can find almost no one willing to
      try it for more than a second or two, but a few times, here and there, I
      have had the opportunity to gaze directly into the eyes of a friend or
      lover for an extended period. Wow! First the intimacy of even trying is
      sooooo amazing and the eyes get so big and clear. Then, I find that the
      face I'm looking into gets indistinct, often moving as though melting,
      my peripheral vision gets filled with fog, and I am dissolving into the
      space between us. This seems mutual to me and I have been assured by
      the person who did this with me that it was. But then I seem to hit a
      wall. I've done this only twice for any length of time. The first
      time, we broke the gaze and each of us reported that we saw the other
      feel fear and draw back, but we both insisted it was the other. The
      second time (6 months later, perhaps?) I seemed to again go to the fog
      state, and then oscillate back and forth until we mutually broke it off
      and wandered off with silly grins. Fun! I hope to do it again soon.

      Love, Mark

      JAN K.

      Love

      Love is what we are
      But what does that mean?
      Let's take a look at what's happening right now, at this moment

      Whatever is there, appears in this wholeness
      whatever is there, it can't be denied, it can't be accepted.
      Because accepting requires someone who accepts,
      and denial requires someone who denies.

      And that 'someone' simply is not real
      but comes and goes.
      And that 'someone' appears too,
      in what you are: Love.

      Lalla was way more than just a nice poet, she was considered to be a
      fully realized saint. The fullest story of her life that I found is here. ~~Glo

      http://jammu-kashmir.org/KOA/Saints/LalDed/article2.html

      XAN

      Everyone does this in different ways.
      Knowing that conscious decisions
      and personal memory
      are much too small a place to live,
      every human being streams at night
      into the loving nowhere, or during the day,
      in some absorbing work.

      -- Rumi
      Version by Coleman Barks,

      NDS

      Carlos... you wrote (and I thank you for dropping in!) much, I
      respond to this part now:

      >>==Gene Poole==
      >>
      >>Survivor, crash of Karnak

      >Perhaps this remains to be seen -- Gene.

      >Carlos Dwa

      >Survivor of surviving

      "Remains to be seen; Film at eleven"

      Carlos Dwa: Enigma, or mystery?

      (Commercial announcement)

      Hi Folks, Gene Poole here. Hey, is your paradigm shifter stuck in
      'low gear'? Having a hard time going multidimensional? Got the
      form-fitting blues? Well, today we have on special, our completely
      automatic Enigmatic Transmission, at this low, low price, for a
      limited time only!

      Yes friends, no zizzing and hissing, like the solar-powered goldfish
      stirrer. No sticking and grinding, like the now-obsolete Newtonian
      Time-Oars. Our Enigmatic Transmission is fully guaranteed for life!
      Our superior engineering assures you, the consumer, of a lifetime of
      trouble-free multinode awareness.

      And if you order now, during this special infoposting, you will
      receive not only a substantial cash rebate, but also the entire
      collected set of Classic Postings by Gene Poole! Useful as doilies,
      potholders, or as scouring agents for a congested cranium, this rare
      collection is a compilation of the 'best' of my voluminous, or should
      I say prodigious, writings.

      Imagine, shifting from form to form, riding on a cloud of etheric
      vibrations, effortlessly attracting that special someone, your only
      stress deriving from carrying huge loads of cash to the bank!

      Fame, fortune, and sex-appeal are yours for the asking! Learn the
      long-guarded esoteric secrets of BioNebulation! Endless SECRET
      FORMULAS and occult algorithms, vast storehouses of the secret lore
      of the masters of time, space, and everything... all yours, for just
      one easy payment per month!

      Just listen to what these SATISFIED CUSTOMERS have to say about our
      limited offer:

      "My life was humdrum, boredom without end. I had no taste, manners,
      or wisdom. Then I saw this posting by Gene Poole... and my life was
      changed, forever!" Bill O'Lading, Formica, Mn.

      "I had tried everything, from Kabala to Tantra, and was just stuck as
      hell. Then, with help from Gene Poole, miracles began to happen,
      first weekly, then daily, then hourly! Now, every moment is a
      miracle! I can't thank Gene enough!" Ms Ann Thorpe, Rockhead, Nz.

      "Money has never been better spent! For every cent I gave to Gene, I
      have gotten literally MILLIONS in return! Not only that, but my hair
      grew back, my eyesight is perfect, and I play the piano
      effortlessly!" Humphrey P Dumpty, Fat City, Ill.

      "Since taking Gene's COURSE IN BARNACLES, I can breath again...
      underwater!" Lilly Valley, Ziggurat, UK.

      "Easy... doesn't come close to describing Gene's special
      instructional technique. I kid you not, just one look at his book...
      and I saw the light!" Doug Holle, Excavation, NY.

      "I used to be addicted to everything, from Valium to mailing lists.
      But nothing would really satisfy me... until I sent for Gene's books,
      tapes, and special meditation-cloths. Now, existence itself is the
      most sublime nectar!" G Lordon Giddy, Nonsense, NM.

      "As an inveterate gambler, I was suspicious at first. But I can tell
      you, Gene's special breathing lessons really cut the mustard! When
      used as directed, there is no substitute! Buy it!" T Oylette,
      Flushing, NY.

      "In days past, I slouched around, skulking in alleys and abandoned
      warehouses, never really knowing what was wrong. I would habitually
      wear non-matching socks, too. But since I saw Gene's ad,
      world-domination is easily within my grasp... " Sherbert Helldrake,
      Fractal, Ca.

      Yes friends, you too can join the ever-swelling ranks of those who
      owe their success, if not their entire income, to Me, Gene Poole.
      Whether your goal is swallowing razor blades, excellence in business,
      or immortality, Gene Poole has a lesson plan tailor-made just for
      you. Act now, to receive a substantial viscount, instant debate, and
      non-refundable coupons worth your very soul itself. Even as you read
      this, Gene is using his incredible powers of Universal FlimFlammery
      to remake your thoughts, life, and marriage (if applicable) in his
      own image! It just doesn't get any better than that!

      (End commercial announcement)

      We now return you to the NDS mailing list, which is already in progress...

      ==Gene Poole==