#3815 - Monday, February 22, 2010 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 22, 2010

      #3815 - Monday, February 22, 2010 - Editor: Gloria Lee
      The Nonduality Highlights -

      Just to let you know that I have just started an online Non-Dual Community/Sangha for the UK:

      NonDualityUK

      Anyone who lives in the UK is welcome to join, and is now cordially invited to do so. I hope our American cousins are not offended by the appearance of this geographically dualistic initiative. Perhaps someone may care to start the same in the U.S .... and we can join forces. It will be an improvement on what we have done together in Afghanistan and Iraq!!!

      The aim is to create a Non-Dual Community/Sangha that is not fixated on a specific expression of non-duality, so is able to embrace all traditions and artistic/inspirational variations, and create open dialogue between people.

      It's not just a forum - it's a Social Networking Site, that will enable people in different areas of the UK to connect with each other locally.

      If you don't live in the UK, but have friends that do, please let them know about this new community ... send them a link and an explanation perhaps ....

      with warm regards
      Roy (Whenary)

       by Alan Larus on Facebook

      Trudy Dixon
      Excerpted from
      Crooked Cucumber
      The Life and Zen Teachings of
      Shunryu Suzuki

      In the spring of 1968, the manuscript for Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind
      was turned over to Trudy Dixon, who had been an editor for Wind Bell,
      the modest periodical which featured Suzuki's lectures.

      From the book:

      Trudy took to the task even though she had two small children, had
      undergone surgery for breast cancer, and was in poor health. She
      threw herself completely into it, listening to the original tapes,
      painstakingly working on the material word by word, thought by
      thought, organizing it and conferring often with Richard (Baker) and
      occasionally with Suzuki directly.

      Trudy Dixon had been doing graduate studies in philosophy at U. C.
      Berkeley, specializing in Heidegger and Wittgenstein, when her
      husband Mike first took her to hear Suzuki lecture in 1962. They
      arrived late and stood in the back of the zendo. Suzuki embarked upon
      an unusual line of thought that evening. He compared the practice of
      Zen with the study of philosophy – expressing one's truth with one's
      whole body and mind instead of thinking and being curious about the
      meaning of life. He said he had a good friend in Japan who was a
      philosopher. Ultimately his intellectual pursuits didn't satisfy him,
      and he killed himself. At exactly that point in the lecture, Suzuki
      looked intently at Trudy. She backed up a few steps. Trudy could not
      get that experience out of her mind. She and Mike continued coming to
      lectures and soon decided to start practicing with Suzuki. They
      became close disciples.

      In Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind, Trudy put her whole being into
      expressing the essence of Suzuki's teaching. After she passed the
      manuscript on to Richard, she concentrated on taking care of herself
      at home and dealing with her approaching death. She remained cheerful
      on the outside, but her mind was possessed by fear, which she
      revealed to her analyst. After an operation her lungs filled with
      liquid, and she couldn't breathe. She struggled for breath with all
      the energy she could find until she went beyond thoughts, words, and
      fear into what she called breath-struggle samadhi. After she had
      undergone five difficult days of recovery, Mike brought Suzuki and
      his wife Okusan to visit her. She said the sight of them was like
      seeing the sun rise for the first time.

      She went to the Tassajara mountain monastery and fasted. There she
      had a powerful, joyous experience that included life and death,
      health and illness, fear and courage. She said she finally stopped
      fighting and was "accommodating the enemy", as Suzuki had described
      it. On the verge of death Trudy had been reborn. Her analyst said
      that at her next visit she seemed like a new person, a fearless and
      radiant woman. To her husband, caretakers, and friends she became an
      inspiration. "My self, my body," she wrote, "is dissolved in
      phenomena like a sky's rainbow caught in a child's soap bubble."

      One day after zazen, Betty Warren visited Trudy. She arrived wishing
      there was something she could do. Trudy burned away Betty's pity with
      one phrase, referring to her illness as "this blessed cancer."

      On Mondays Suzuki visited Trudy at her home after speaking at the
      Marin Zen group. One day after such a visit he returned to the car
      with Bob Halpern. Suzuki's eyes were wet. "Now there's a real Zen
      Master," he said of Trudy, as he sank into his seat.

      On July 1 Trudy's brother drove her to Tassajara. They shared a cup
      of clear creekwater with Suzuki, slept outside in the moonlight, and
      returned the next day to the hospital. A couple of days later she
      returned to Tassajara and practiced prone zazen lying on her back in
      the zendo with Suzuki and the students. On the eighth she and her
      teacher returned to San Francisco.

      On July 9, 1969, Mike called Suzuki and told him that Trudy had just
      died in the hospital – too quickly for Suzuki to have gotten there.
      Suzuki fell apart crying on the phone, which disturbed Mike – he
      thought of Suzuki as imperturbable. Suzuki came to the hospital and
      was composed by then.

      At Trudy's funeral two days later Suzuki was uncharacteristically
      emotional. He cried and said, "I never thought I'd have a disciple
      this great. Maybe I never will again." Then he delivered a eulogy:

      Go, my disciple. You have completed your practice for this life and
      acquired a genuine warm heart, a pure and undefiled Buddha mind, and
      joined our sangha. All that you have done in this life and in your
      past lives became meaningful in the light of the Buddha mind, which
      was found so clearly within yourself, as your own. Because of your
      complete practice, your mind has transcended far beyond your physical
      sickness, and it has taken full care of your sickness like a nurse.

      A person of joyful mind is contented with his lot. Even in adversity
      he will see bright light. He finds the Buddha's place in different
      circumstances, easy and difficult. He feels pleasure even in painful
      conditions, and rejoices. For us, for all who have this joy of Buddha
      mind, the world of birth and death is nirvana.

      The compassionate mind is the affectionate mind of parents. Parents
      always think of the growth and welfare of their children, to the
      neglect of their own circumstances. Our scriptures say, "Buddha mind
      is the mind of great compassion."

      The magnanimous mind is as big as a mountain and as wide as an ocean.
      A person of magnanimous mind is impartial. He walks the middle way.
      He is never attached to any side of the extreme aspect of things. The
      magnanimous mind works justly and impartially.

      Now you have acquired the Buddha mind and become a real disciple of
      Buddha. At this point, however, I express my true power . . . . .

      Then Suzuki let out a long, mighty roar of grief that echoed
      throughout the cavernous auditorium.

      Trudy Dixon died soon after she finished the work at 30 years of age . . .